Close

Default Detroit Steel has Opened It's Doors

For those interested in Drifting at a Grassroots level to Full-Blown Formula D driving, Detroit Steel has begun selling products for Mustangs 1979 and up. We are offering products from Griggs Racing, Viking Shocks, DVANZ Motorsports and more. We offer free advice to decide on the exact products you need and are very happy to share our wealth of Knowledge. With a company-owned 1985 Notch, we have first-hand experience with our products and will be creating a path you can follow for building your own Drift car.
    If you are part of the drifting world already, you understand how hard it can be to find purpose-built pieces for Mustangs that offer some of the much needed qualities this fast-paced environment requires. We strive to only sell parts that would be trusted on our own vehicles, parts we have experience with and can thoroughly help a customer purchase, install and tune. We sell hard-to-find parts like FLCA's that allow a nearly 90 degree steering angle and drop-spindles with an extended steering arm for greater steering input.
    We are always wanting to get more people interested in the sport, so don't be afraid to PM or Call for Build Advice, Technical Assistance or just to get some help finding some good drift videos.

Check out the site at www.detroitsteeldrift.com

Thanks to Everyone here at FEP!

Name:  `DVM_Ams.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  216.0 KBName:  `DVM_Spindles.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  90.2 KBName:  Bump_Kit_DVM_2.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  177.9 KBName:  LtSide3mod.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  58.1 KB

Hey DSD, welcome and thank you for supporting FEP as a vendor! Those pics show quality work and though I'm not a drifting guy at this time I dig what you guys do!!! And you're right, not enough Mustangs out there kickin' it sideways, smokin' them up...

I'll check out your website and spread the word to show support for your business! Made In the USA, correct?
    '84 Tu Tone Coupe 5.0/T-5 Dark Academy Blue/Light Academy Blue Glow
    '86 Mercury ASC McLaren Coupe 049 - November '16 ROTM

Yes sir! Thank you so much foureyes!

Interesting! Good too see more aftermarket support popping up!!
    Current buggies

83 Mercury capri Crimson int, 331, TKO
    91 Camaro
    85 Full size Bronco
    00 Buell Cyclone
    76 FX
    86 Yamaha TRI-Z 250
    75 OSSA Super pioneer
    02 CR250

You have any pics of your '85 coupe?
    '84 Tu Tone Coupe 5.0/T-5 Dark Academy Blue/Light Academy Blue Glow
    '86 Mercury ASC McLaren Coupe 049 - November '16 ROTM

What type and size of tires are best? What gear ratio is optimal?

4eyes - Here is the link to our Introduction Thread, includes pictures and some specs for the 85. I also attached the pics at the end. Definitely more to come!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...284-New-Member

Hammer Down - There aren't any hard-and-fast rules when it comes to your questions, just like many other motorsports. Track conditions, Track Length, Cam Size and 100 other things have to be considered. BUT, if you're just looking for a place to start then I can give some basic guidelines.

1) Tires - Use whatever you have. Buy stock wheels and buy used tires that still have decent tread and DO NOT have any dry-rotting. I cannot stress it enough, most tracks will instantly redflag you for poor tires. And that just ruins your whole day over something easily avoidable. If you bring two extra pairs of tires for your rears to burn, you'll have more than enough to make it through a whole track day.
    Where you SHOULD spend some money on decent rubbers is the front. Don't go too wild and get anything wider than 9", and that is pushing it. Past that size you will rub on your swaybar, control arms and fenders, unless you start some heavy modification with rolling fenders, spacers, etc. A lot of guys like Falken Azenis RT615K, long lasting and good grip. 17's are a safe size for Mustangs, low-profile is important as well to limit sidewall deflection.

2) Again, Rear gears are subject to change due to different conditions. Another big factor is if you will drive it on the street or if it is strictly a track car. In most cases you'll be satisfied with a 3.73 or 4.10 gear depending upon modifications and track length.

If you give me some information about your car I'd be happy to give you some more specific information.

The most fun per dollar you will have is in simply having a predictable and well running car. No matter how much money you throw at your rig, you will spin-out. A lot. Just buy some SFC's, a decent Differential (or rebuild your Trak-Lok) and go at it!

Hope this helps! I may also be writing essentially a "How-to" for building a decent drift platform if there is enough interest. Always happy to help and don't be afraid to PM!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by DetroitSteelDrift; 01-02-2016 at 06:56 PM.

I would like to organize a group buy within this coming week. I'm requesting input from FEP to find out which company is in demand right now. The following is a list of Brands that I carry and some of the products they have. Please note it's an abbreviated list of products per company so you can order Any of their products, whether it's listed in this post or not.

Most products can be found on our website detroitsteeldrift.com , and we can offer all products by manufacturer if not listed on-site.

Viking Performance - Double Adjustable (DA) Shocks, DA Coilover Shocks, and now introducing DA Coilover Front Struts

DVM Motorsports - High-angle Front Lower Control Arms, Increased steering-input 2" Drop Spindles, High Wheel Clearance swaybars

Donathen Racing - Mild Steel Front & Rear Bumper Supports, Parachute Mount Rear Bumper Support
    (http://www.donathenracing.com/Order.html , currently not on-site)

Stifflers - "Spider Brace" Chassis Bracing, SS Brake Lines, Webbed Subframe Connectors
    (http://buystifflers.com/ , currently not on-site)

Grigg's Racing - Panhard Bar, Watt's Link, Basically everything you'll ever need.

Let me know if there is any interest in a company and I will organize the rest!
    Last edited by DetroitSteelDrift; 01-09-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    Quinn Daily
    detroitsteeldrift.com

Id be interested in Dnathen Racing. Ive actually been looking to purchase their front and rear set up
    85 Capri RS

Thank you for the input! I will organize the group buy tonight. There will be no minimum cost for the group.
    Quinn Daily
    detroitsteeldrift.com

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSteelDrift View Post
    Viking Performance - Double Adjustable (DA) Shocks, DA Coilover Shocks, and now introducing DA Coilover Front Struts
    Are the front struts for FOX now available? Are they aluminum bodies as I "heard" they would be?
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Yes the Viking struts are available for the Fox. We have 0-2" drop, 2-3", Small Block, Big Block and a full Front and Rear Coilover Kit.
    Quinn Daily
    detroitsteeldrift.com

maximum motorsports would be great to have.

Griggs racing is very comparable to MM and has a longer track record. They have options for a SLA front suspension and watts link, which is not offered by MM. All prices are in the same range, many are equal or less. Those are just a few of the reasons we chose to carry Griggs instead MM. But I agree, MM is also a fantastic company with a wealth of information.
    Quinn Daily
    detroitsteeldrift.com