Close

Default 3 and a half inch speakers

my JBL 3 1/2 speakers are starting to flutter and will soon blow. this will be my second set of JBL's and 5th set of 3 1/2 speakers overall in the past two years.

Is there any such animal as a stable 3 1/2 inch speaker for the front das? Or is it possible to squeeze in 4 inch or bigger into the space?

Im tired of pulling the dash off.

I have the 3.5 Kickers in all 3 of my cars
    Mustang Week Staff
    www.mustangweek.com
    1980 Cobra
    1981 coupe 6 cylinder
    1982 GT
    04 Lightning
    14 GT

I have Pioneer TS-A878 speakers in mine. The pair cost lest than 50 dollars. They were recommended by a number of fellow FEP members as a good replacement for factory speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A87.../dp/B00009QOTA
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I went threw 4 sets of dash speakers in my svo. One year ago i put some kickers in............They kick azz! And i like loud music! KICKER ROCKS!!

I have JBL 3.5's in the dash. All is well.
    Considered the Pioneer 878's. Low price, but are nos plus somehow felt too fragile to handle.
    Considered JBL GTO 329. Current product, could not be sure of overall fit.
    Bought JBL GX302 directly from Harmon/JBL. 'Factory' fresh. Fit perfectly, sound great.

Connected both to a 4ch JBL amp fed by a 90's Ford DIN radio.
    They get prob 15-25w rms, front crossover is set at high pass, adjusted to cut them in at approx 120hz.
    Rear speakers get about the same wattage, with amp rear crossover off or full range.

Dash 3.5 speakers fill in sound mid bass up and enhance stereo music channel separation.
    Support from larger speakers and a decent amp is required for really enjoyable music listening.
    http://www.independentrecording.net/...in_display.htm

If you listen to it loud I would recommend the Kicker 3.5. A very hearty speaker and able to take the extra power when needed. You can also install high pass passive crossovers to remove the low end bass from the small speakers. That way they would play mids and upper sounds but not try to play the lower end bass and thus help keep the speakers under control. These wire in between your speaker and what ever is powering the speaker. I put some mid-lever price Pioneers in mine and have been way happy so far. So far.

I have the Kicker 3.5" and I agree with that recommendation as well.

I have Infinity REF-3022CFX's in my PC and 82 GT. It's a very GOOD sounding speaker for what ever you want to listen to.

Default Speaker Installation

Quote Originally Posted by boogiestang View Post
    If you listen to it loud I would recommend the Kicker 3.5. A very hearty speaker and able to take the extra power when needed. You can also install high pass passive crossovers to remove the low end bass from the small speakers. That way they would play mids and upper sounds but not try to play the lower end bass and thus help keep the speakers under control. These wire in between your speaker and what ever is powering the speaker. I put some mid-lever price Pioneers in mine and have been way happy so far. So far.
    So I pretty much know nothing about speakers.... But I have an 86 convertible. The stock speakers just went out so I am trying to replace them. I am planning on buying these: http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-40CS354...eries+CS35#Ask

This is what my harness looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-5500-...6+ford+mustang

Do I need to buy this harness? I have no knowledge of wiring. What do you all think?

You do not need the harnesses. Just cut the ends off the end of your speaker wires and put female speaker connectors on them,crimp the connector to the wires and connect to your speakers and you are good to go. You can get the connectors at any parts store.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged347 View Post
    You do not need the harnesses. Just cut the ends off the end of your speaker wires and put female speaker connectors on them,crimp the connector to the wires and connect to your speakers and you are good to go. You can get the connectors at any parts store.
    Bob
    Okay, Thanks!

Pioneer used to make a TST3 that morphed to a TST5 then to a TST87, they came with a capacitor / crossover that would block the lower frequencys, if you can find a set of these out there they are worth the $$$. I have also used Kickers with good success, you can also try a capacitor inline (also called a bass blocker) to help save the speakers.

I believe this is the only offering from Pioneer in the 3.5" size right now.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...r-TS-A878.html

I believe I have an earlier version of this in my PC and I have been pretty happy with them. Now my stereo is nothing more than just a plain ole' Sony DIN unit, so not pushing much power.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I've got a set of Memphis PRX32s in my mustang hooked up to an Alpine mini-amp Ktp-445u and they really rock out, they're wayy louder than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I have Pioneer TS-A878 speakers in mine. The pair cost lest than 50 dollars. They were recommended by a number of fellow FEP members as a good replacement for factory speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A87.../dp/B00009QOTA
    This is what I ran also. I do not jam, have no amps, no subs etc. but they are a fine OEM replacement as Brian mentions. So consider the use when purchasing like anything else you buy. They easily outperform the stock speakers and have a wider range etc. though.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775