Close

Default Mustang bucket seats in a bench seat Fairmont??

So I've got a '79 Fairmont with the oh-so classy bench seat up front. After 36 some odd years, the stitching is starting to fail. My question is how difficult would it be to swap in some bucket seats from a mustang? Are all the bolt holes in place or is it going to turn into a whole ordeal?

Thanks in advance!

This fellow is looking to do the same.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...0-futura-build

He says the holes are there, so it should be very easy!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Wow thanks!

I suppose the next order of business is getting some seats...
    What would you say is a fair price for a couple of buckets?

Quote Originally Posted by kingleonidasll View Post
    Wow thanks!

I suppose the next order of business is getting some seats...
    What would you say is a fair price for a couple of buckets?
    Depends on which ones you look at.

There are the early Fox non-reclining buckets you could probably get for next to nothing.

Then there were the later Fox LX seats that are a dime a dozen but usually a nice upgrade. They're comfy, and usually cloth.

Moving up are the '84-93 sport seats which can fetch a fair amount if they are in good shape, especially in original black upholstery, or the '84-86 halo headrest type ($500). Lesser sought-after colors like red can be had for cheap though. Most of these you'll find are probably not in the greatest shape, but the seat foam and upholstery can all be bought new. That's what I have. I bought some super-common grey tweed versions ($50), and rebuilt them with new foam and black vinyl upholstery to match my original Zeph interior.

Then there are SN95 V6 seats which probably will fall in between LX and GT Fox seats for price.

SN95 GT seats.

Then the top of the heap, the '01-03 Cobra seats which I've seen go for over $1000. They certainly are nice, but too rich for my blood.

Any of these will bolt right in.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Looks like I've got some options which is never a bad thing haha

Now here's hoping my local salvage yard has some mustangs

I really like the turbo coupe seats in fox tbirds and cougars from 83-88. They bolt to mustang seat tracks.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I did it done it to the 83 Fairmont 4 door I had only thing I can say going from a bench to Fox buckets is the seat level drop "cues up WAR" Low rider, ride a little lower ...da da da da da, da da da dat dat da da
    83' Capri RS 5.0 (My son's car now pending his return from the army.)
    87' Mustang LX 5.0 5spd. Notch
    88' Mustang Project Notch
    96' F250 Powerstroke Crewcab 4x4
    GhostwolF's PonypageS

True, they are lower. Putting new foam in them does reverse that a bit though.

I'm pretty sure Turbo Coupe seats are just Mustang sport seats with different upholstery aren't they? At least though, if you do go with T-bird seats, you do have a prayer of making the rear seat work in your F/Z so they all match.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Oh, and there are also original Fairmont/Zephyr buckets that are not lower, but good luck finding some!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

Brad knows I found the original seats. They were not inexpensive, but after new foam and upholstery I like them. Just my opinion.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Quote Originally Posted by 48fordnut View Post
    Brad knows I found the original seats. They were not inexpensive, but after new foam and upholstery I like them. Just my opinion.
    Yeah, but that was a miracle. haha

Oh, hey! I forgot about LTD/Marquis seats. They have that split console attached to them, but you can remove it for true buckets if you want.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

You know what I went thru. but it was fun.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Actually, 83 turbo coupe seats became the 87-88 gt seats. Not that most sport seats were all that different in the early 80's.
    1 1987 cougar

I love the Fairmont/Zephyr with the bench seat, it reminds me of a true Muscle Car built to go in a straight line on the cheap. Give me a bench seat, a four speed, and some poverty cap'd wheels and I'm happy as a clam. If I was you I'd get the seats re-foamed and upholstered and keep that classic look.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    I love the Fairmont/Zephyr with the bench seat, it reminds me of a true Muscle Car built to go in a straight line on the cheap. Give me a bench seat, a four speed, and some poverty cap'd wheels and I'm happy as a clam. If I was you I'd get the seats re-foamed and upholstered and keep that classic look.
    I've thought about doing this with my wagon. Except a Five speed set up. Using the console delete set up and shift boot. Just not sure how good it will clear the bench without modification.

Maybe you could get one of those cool old hurst handles that snake around the bench? Those are my favorite...like the ones found in old Chevelles, Galaxy's, etc?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice guys. Appreciate it big time.

So today I was looking at the seat bolts and on first glance it appears there is only four bolts that hold the bench seat to the chassis. That won't work too well for buckets...

Do these cars have seats that go into bolts on the floor and just have a nut that secures them? Or is it a bolt that goes into the floor and sandwiches the seat rails down with it?

I looked at it closer and found a small incision in the carpeting. Peeling it back only revealed another layer of carpeting. Previous owner just slapped another carpet in for god knows what reason. I don't want to go tearing this car apart in the middle of winter otherwise I'd just rip it out and look myself.

Y'all are pretty helpful on this forum just FYI!

Maybe you could get one of those cool old hurst handles that snake around the bench? Those are my favorite...like the ones found in old Chevelles, Galaxy's, etc?
    A '69 Chevelle SS396 with bench and Muncie was one of my favs to drive.
    Friend had a new '69 RR with bench and that long pistol grip shifter lever.

That is what i did, even though i have buckets. Installed a 10.5" Hurst lever.
    Deciding to change the stock shifter setup opens up new horizons.
    Never was happy with the stock Mustang shifter setup. Honestly did not feel natural nor just right stout.
    Found out when using a longer lever, the correct fulcrum point changes and has to match the lever length.
    A new Core Shifter assy absolutely solved the long throw problem.
    Easy to do and worth every penny paid to do a real cool mod and the shifting happiness long sought after in the car .

Check out Eric the car guy on YouTube.

He is building a Fairmont. When he does his subframe connector video, he shows the extra bolt holes on the inside.
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    A '69 Chevelle SS396 with bench and Muncie was one of my favs to drive.
    Friend had a new '69 RR with bench and that long pistol grip shifter lever.

That is what i did, even though i have buckets. Installed a 10.5" Hurst lever.
    Deciding to change the stock shifter setup opens up new horizons.
    Never was happy with the stock Mustang shifter setup. Honestly did not feel natural nor just right stout.
    Found out when using a longer lever, the correct fulcrum point changes and has to match the lever length.
    A new Core Shifter assy absolutely solved the long throw problem.
    Easy to do and worth every penny paid to do a real cool mod and the shifting happiness long sought after in the car .
    I was definitely going for muscle car feel when I decided on my shifter arrangement.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

So today I was looking at the seat bolts and on first glance it appears there is only four bolts that hold the bench seat to the chassis. That won't work too well for buckets...

Do these cars have seats that go into bolts on the floor and just have a nut that secures them? Or is it a bolt that goes into the floor and sandwiches the seat rails down with it?

I looked at it closer and found a small incision in the carpeting. Peeling it back only revealed another layer of carpeting. Previous owner just slapped another carpet in for god knows what reason. I don't want to go tearing this car apart in the middle of winter otherwise I'd just rip it out and look myself.

My Mustangs have all had both. A few studs (maybe two per bucket seat) that the holes in the seat tracks fit over and then only a nut is needed to secure. These studs are attached to the floor pan and the nuts for them are loose. The other two holes are secured by a stud with a nut perminetly attached that you screw into the holes in the floor.

I hope this makes sense. It seemed much easier to explain in my head but was harder to write down.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

My Mustangs have all had both. A few studs (maybe two per bucket seat) that the holes in the seat tracks fit over and then only a nut is needed to secure. These studs are attached to the floor pan and the nuts for them are loose. The other two holes are secured by a stud with a nut perminetly attached that you screw into the holes in the floor.

I hope this makes sense. It seemed much easier to explain in my head but was harder to write down.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I liked the bench in my 69 Torino GT with the 4 speed top loader.
    It had the GT caps not the dog dishes.
    A set of Mark VII LSC seats would be a neat bench replacement
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Those Mark VII buckets are extremely comfortable. I have a set laying around for no good reason. They're heavy, but comfortable and fairly supportive.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I like the sho/super coupe seats. If only they weren't all power.
    1 1987 cougar