Close

Default EGR Insufficient flow 98 F150

This has been an issue since replacing the engine with a junkyard motor that came out of an 98 Lincoln Town car

The obvious has been done so far;
    replaced EGR valve
    replaced EGR solenoid twice
    replace EGR vacuum sensor 3 times
    additionally, the last time we swapped parts, this weekend, we took all three from another F150 that had no EGR codes so verifiably good components were installed and still the EGR Insufficient flow error comes up and the monitors wont clear.

ALSO, we did pull the throttle body and thoroughly clean it 3 times.

My mechanic tested the vacuum and a physical check shows it is correct vacuum. Also tested voltage which is also correct.

My truck wont pass NYS emissions testing and its due to expire end of December.

The only other suggestion my mechanic has is to try to swap the computer.

I am wondering if the intake is different on a 98 Town car compared to a 98 F150?

Could the intake vacuum be different and causing a compatibility issue with the F150 computer?

we will be pulling 2 ECM's from the junkyard Monday, one from an F150 and one from a Town car.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I was going to say mismatch between EGR valve and position sensor, but since you tried all parts from another vehicle, with same result, that's moot.
    EGR passages inside the intake clear? I don't know what the intake (or EGR spacer?) is like, and maybe that's a whopper of a question, but with this head-scratcher maybe actual blockage in the passages could be a thing?...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 12-19-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I was going to say mismatch between EGR valve and position sensor, but since you tried all parts from another vehicle, with same result, that's moot.
    EGR passages inside the intake clear? I don't know what the intake (or EGR spacer?) is like, and maybe that's a whopper of a question, but with this head-scratcher maybe actual blockage in the passages could be a thing?...
    The passages have been cleaned out 3 times already

By passages, I meant from the EGR itself, through the intake, and to head exhaust port/s, if EGR passages are internal in the intake.
    Or, external exhaust tubing, if that's the case. Plus, EGR function source vacuum leak... ?

Did some searching... ie. ---> http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/24...f-150-egr.html (see post #3)

Or, you may be onto something with this, as to heads/intake where exhaust gas comes from:
    "I am wondering if the intake is different on a 98 Town car compared to a 98 F150?"
    I can't imagine why at the head flanges they'd be different. No idea, never been there. I'm speculating with 1998 anything.
    Hope somebody with first-hand knowledge knows and can help. Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 12-20-2015 at 09:28 AM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

1997 was the first year the W vin code "8-280" 4.6L showed up in the F-150.

The EGR will have a calibration code, a new F7 with Basic Part Number and secondary or tertiary supplier code stamped on the EGR. Each is designed for the standard OBDII pin hole operational leak test. You can't just use any EGR to hand, as each engine family is calibrated within the passenger or truck car VIN codes. Within the W VIN code, there will be differnt EGR calibration's.

Everything is sequential EECV at least after 1997 mostly. If ts GVW 8.5 tons or less, it'll be similar, but the whole ECU box code and egr system is different between passenger and trucks.

Its not the same as the Crown Victoria/ Mercury Grand Marquis dual exhast 215 bhp and 285 lbft with dual exhaust engine, or the Lincoln Town Car 205 hp engine, or the up to 235 or maybee 250 hp P72 CVPI engine, or the '97 215 or '98 225 hp Mustang engine.

F150 pickup.
    W VIN code 4.6L 220 hp V8?
    220 BHP SAE net @ 4750 RPM,
    265 Lb-ft @ 4000 RPM,
    9.4:1 compression
    SEFI
    2 Valve per cylinder Non Performance Improved heads

Windsor OHC Modular blocks are all marked with a "W" in the block in two places, but there are other Romeo variants, and the three VIN codes depending on if its a Romeo, Windsor, or SUV engine. These parts shouldn't be mixed.

W Vin code is the F150 4.6, which should be an F7AE block (F series Pickup, Expedition, Crown Victoria or Mercury Grand Marquis Police Interceptor), but there are F65E-BB or F75E too.

Romeo SOHC (still W VIN code ) are stamped F65E-CC, F6VE, or F7VE

FEP Member

If you apply vacuum directly to the EGR valve it should change the was the engine runs. It should get really lopey at idle. What's the voltage showing on the DPFE sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    ALSO, we did pull the throttle body and thoroughly clean it 3 times.
    Did you only pull the throttle body? Or did you also pull the intake elbow that it bolts to? The latter is the one
    that has to be cleaned for a P0401 error. And it cannot be cleaned well enough with the elbow still on the engine.
    Nor can you do an effective job with a spray can. The passages need to be reamed out back to their original size.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Did you only pull the throttle body? Or did you also pull the intake elbow that it bolts to? The latter is the one
    that has to be cleaned for a P0401 error. And it cannot be cleaned well enough with the elbow still on the engine.
    Nor can you do an effective job with a spray can. The passages need to be reamed out back to their original size.
    That would be the 2 holes that are about the diameter of a pencil correct? They were clogged solid 2 years ago so I know what your saying. We have addressed that multiple times with this issue this past month.

DPFE sensor is getting correct voltage. The EGR was bought new about a year ago. Its correct for my vehicle and this problem didn't manifest until the engine swap last summer.

The holes are actually larger than you think, but yes, those are the ones, along with the passage that
    they intersect with. They not only have to flow, they have to flow enough.

The other possibility could be the EGR tube itself. It has an orifice between the two hose nipples to the
    DPFE. That orifice can also clog, as can the hose nipples. Or the orifice could have gotten damaged,
    and no longer provides enough restriction to tell the DPFE sensor what it wants to know.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

The holes are actually larger than you think, but yes, those are the ones, along with the passage that
    they intersect with. They not only have to flow, they have to flow enough.

The other possibility could be the EGR tube itself. It has an orifice between the two hose nipples to the
    DPFE. That orifice can also clog, as can the hose nipples. Or the orifice could have gotten damaged,
    and no longer provides enough restriction to tell the DPFE sensor what it wants to know.
    we will have to give it another going over. I have 11 days to get a pass. usually its not hard to fudge a NYS emissions test but this time its a tough nut to crack. EGR is one of 2 monitors that must clear to get a pass and a sticker.

Are there ant glaring differences between the F150 and Towncar 4.6 manifold that could be a factor?

The truck 4.6 intakes are very different from the automobile intakes. I'm presuming your original
    intake would have been swapped onto the Lincoln engine when it was swapped in. The two engines
    also take a different EGR tube.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

The truck 4.6 intakes are very different from the automobile intakes. I'm presuming your original
    intake would have been swapped onto the Lincoln engine when it was swapped in. The two engines
    also take a different EGR tube.
    Yes the intake was swapped and all gaskets replaced prior to changing the motor. As of today still failing NYS Emissions

According to my mechanic the voltage and vacuum is correct and its should be functioning but the ECM is still kicking up insufficient flow code and the monitors don't clear so the truck doesn't get a pass on the emissions.

Im starting to wonder if the clog is in the intake.

The EGR flow is introduced into the intake stream in the intake elbow where the EGR valve mounts.
    There are no EGR passages in the intake manifold itself. The 4.6 does not have an exhaust crossover
    passage.

The EGR system is really pretty simple. Something is being overlooked here.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

The EGR flow is introduced into the intake stream in the intake elbow where the EGR valve mounts.
    There are no EGR passages in the intake manifold itself. The 4.6 does not have an exhaust crossover
    passage.

The EGR system is really pretty simple. Something is being overlooked here.
    Finally got a pass on NYS Emissions today.

after multiple DPFE sensors we found one that functions. I should have known the Duralast part was the problem. Im gonna have to go online and find a motorcraft DPFE

Incidentally, when we finally got the EGR monitor to pass then an evap code came up. I need to replace evap line from the canister to the fuel tank. But I did get my NYS Inspection sticker so I don't have to worry about getting ticketed. I live in an incorporated village and Freeport code enforcement will ticket my car even in my own driveway.

Great seasons' present! Emissions Inspection Pass! OBDII-Ah! becomes OBaDIiAH

It's good that you aren't scared of just asking, and then you have a go at making it work. For all thoses that weighed in, props to you.

Its sad that the science of just eliminating the unlikely, and then flowing the likely items in question actually results in repeat random replacement...that's a searing indictment on the quality of replacement emissions parts. Replacement of parts normally occurs when diagnosis is lacking.

The rules of through put are that mass production should always improve quality.n this case, we should check the obvious.

Are you able to politely complain to the supplier of the faulty part?

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Great seasons' present! Emissions Inspection Pass! OBDII-Ah! becomes OBaDIiAH

It's good that you aren't scared of just asking, and then you have a go at making it work. For all thoses that weighed in, props to you.

Its sad that the science of just eliminating the unlikely, and then flowing the likely items in question actually results in repeat random replacement...that's a searing indictment on the quality of replacement emissions parts. Replacement of parts normally occurs when diagnosis is lacking.

The rules of through put are that mass production should always improve quality.n this case, we should check the obvious.

Are you able to politely complain to the supplier of the faulty part?
    Autozone is very good about taking back parts.