Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you get it working yet?

If so, you can disregard the following.

It occurred to me that these relays are cheaper and easier to get than power resistors so if you already have a no-load flasher then you could build your own "converter" with only relays.

The top diagram is simpler, more rugged, and will give you brighter lights, but does require a constant 12 volt supply.

The bottom diagram uses diodes to feed 12 volts from whichever lead is powered. You will lose about a volt through the diode [plus the drop from the factory wiring] so the lights won't be as bright. Unless you rob the diodes from a junk alternator, this setup isn't going to be any cheaper or easier than running a wire to a 12 volt supply.

Further simplified.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    The way the original wiring accomplished this was that the brake light signal passed through the turn signal switch, allowing it to decide whether to send "brake" or "turn" back to the taillights. On the Mustang wiring, the brake signal does not pass through the multifunction switch, so it cannot perform that function.

I've thought about looking for multifunction switches from other applications that do function the way I'm looking for. I haven't gotten very far looking into that though. Any ideas?
    Take a look at an '89-'94 Ranger multifunction switch. The switch looks pretty much identical to the one for
    a '90-'93 Mustang except it has the extra "pin 7" feed from the brake light switch (circled).

Name:  RangerMFS.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  83.8 KB
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Thank you Jeff! That's exactly the kind of specific information i was looking for! And thank you Mr. Riggs. 4 Barrel Mike do you think you would try one of these?

I would be all over these had i not already bought the trailer light module. I also have effectively a brand new Mustang multi-function switch it would be a shame to waste. I'll let you guys know how it works out when i get the work done. It's probably 3rd on my list behind finishing up the A/C lines as much as i can, and Operation Eliminate The Solenoid.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Knowing how these switches are typically designed, I'd be willing to bet you could cannibalize a used Ranger
    or Explorer multi-function switch to add the missing terminal and it's supporting bits to a Mustang MFS.

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Good to know, thanks! Might be a fun experiment if I can ever get myself some quality junkyard time again!

That's alright. It's all about learning experiences!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12