Close

Default Questions about converting dealer AC 85 GT back to non-AC

I have an 85 GT that has dealer installed AC. It no longer works, and I have already gotten rid of the compressor and condenser years ago. I have no desire to ever have AC in this car again and would like to switch it back to non-AC. What parts besides the heater controls were switched out? I would like to have this car completely back to non-AC parts. Thank you in advance!

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Non AC cars had a different heater/AC box unit, so you will need to find a used non-AC box and switch it out for the heater/AC under the dash. What's nice about that non-AC box is you can change the heater core out through the glove box instead of having to remove the dash hull.

I took out the AC in my 85 2.3L but left the AC box in there........and of course the heater core went out......LOL

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Non AC cars had a different heater/AC box unit, so you will need to find a used non-AC box and switch it out for the heater/AC under the dash. What's nice about that non-AC box is you can change the heater core out through the glove box instead of having to remove the dash hull.

I took out the AC in my 85 2.3L but left the AC box in there........and of course the heater core went out......LOL
    I actually have dealer installed AC. It still uses the original non-AC heater box. Just pulled the heater core out in 25 min tonight. The majority of the time was spent trying to contort into the car with only being able to open the door about a foot! lol.

I need to figure out what parts might have been changed when my car had the AC added on by the dealer in 1985 when my dad bought the car new. I want it to be just like it was when it left the factory with heat only...

Justin
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Didn't know dealer installed is different than factory. I guess Ford didn't want dealers to have to remove the dash.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Ok, so I bought a non-AC plenum and register ducts that came from another 85 with heat only. I took that big ugly dealer AC unit out of the dash as well.

Does anyone know if there are any other parts I will need? Also, does anyone know of a source to get the factory hardware (i.e. screws) and possibly the brackets I may be missing? I really can't see those supplies being exhausted!

Justin

Nevermind, I see you are in Wisconsin. That would explain the desire for no A/C.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I always liked dealer AC. It's a neat addition and not one you see very often. Too bad you chucked everything...the parts have some value.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I still have everything from in the dash, and the compressor. I wish I had been smarter about keeping the rest of the stuff when I took it out years ago. Maybe someday I will put it back in, or maybe my son when he inherits the car will wish to have it the way it was when grandpa bought it. Time will tell. I still have the original engine, transmission, and rear end to go back in the car someday too.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by blackgt85 View Post
    I still have everything from in the dash, and the compressor. I wish I had been smarter about keeping the rest of the stuff when I took it out years ago. Maybe someday I will put it back in, or maybe my son when he inherits the car will wish to have it the way it was when grandpa bought it. Time will tell. I still have the original engine, transmission, and rear end to go back in the car someday too.

Justin

Do you happen to still have all those parts? I have dealer air and I'm looking for part numbers and manufacturers. Maybe some pics of the parts.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)