Close

Default '85 Coupe w/ SN95 Spindles: OEM Brake Options?

Hey everyone. I wanted to start out by saying thanks for the welcome on an earlier post. I'm putting together a build thread for the coupe currently, I'm just taking more photos so it's actually interesting to read.

So I've been doing a lot of research on my braking options. I have SN95 spindles currently, not yet installed. I also have an '02 V6 Mustang donor car that I'm trying to rob off of. Everything I've been reading says the two piston/PBR calipers and brackets bolt onto the SN95 spindles with some grinding of the spindle ears. If the donor car's calipers are in good enough shape I'll use them. I've also looked into a 13" Cobra setup but for my plans (Drifting and some SCCA) it seems like a waste. I'd rather save and go with a real big brake kit that is actually built for abuse. I'm not sure on rear right now, it has a 7.5" from a New edge with discs. Why the previous owner did that swap is beyond me. But it should make swapping to a SN95 8.8" rear with discs that much easier. I also have to fab up a dual rear caliper setup but that's another thread.

My Questions

• I'm installing New Edge Calipers and rotors onto SN95 Spindles, which are on a '85 Coupe. Which year of soft brake lines do I need? (Going SS)
    • Which year Bolt kit do I need for bracket and caliper? Don't want to reuse old hardware due to rust etc.
    • Any pad suggestions for fronts? Looking at Hawk HPS.
    • Pretty sure the rotors are 11" from the new edge, will this interfere with my 15" wheels?
    • Any foreseeable problems with Brake Booster or Master Cylinder? Both are OEM to 85 Coupe, in good condition. Also planning to use an adjustable brake proportioning valve.

Thanks in advance and if anyone is interested in Drifting or has questions related to it feel free to PM.
    Last edited by DetroitSteelDrift; 12-07-2015 at 11:29 AM.

New edge v-6 stangs had 15" wheels. My buddy has a 99gt that had a bent 20" rim on it. He bought a set of rims for a v-6 model.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Thanks! I got input on the brake line problem too, sounds like it is just different banjo bolts between SN95 and new edge.

First all 94-04 Mustangs are SN95. The "New Edge" was a styling nickname not an actual change in platform.

Now in regards to brakes, the break down () is generally 94-98 and 99-04, but all will bolt up to the SN95 spindles (which are 94/95 and 96-04 specific).

All V6 & GT's use the same front and rear brakes within their respective year model. The Cobra brakes are unique to those models.

You will absolutely need an adjustable proportioning valve and need to gut your stock valve to make it all work.

Here is the front brake lines you will need: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM...ont-P1341.aspx

Unless the hardware is damaged due to rust and corrosion, I would recommend refurbishing it and using it as it will be the correct size, grade, etc. and I am not aware of any aftermarket hardware kits to replace it. Otherwise you may want to consider buying new from Ford.

Hawk pads are good pads, just make sure you choose the best compound for what your intended purpose is.

I would recommend a M/C change due to the rear disc setup from the OEM disc/drum. M/C size will be determined by what calipers you actually install. Most likely either the 15/16" bore 94/95 Cobra M/C or the 1" 93 Cobra M/C will be your best option for pedal feel and overall braking.

I would leave the booster alone if it is in good working condition and see how everything works with the M/C change, etc. before installing a different booster.

Best of Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for all the info trey! I knew that the New Edge body style technically falls under the SN95 chassis, I just consider it as different because of all the suspension tweaks like control arms, spindles etc. I'll use years from here, that should keep things more clear.
    As far as caliper bolt kits, AM and most part stores carry them.
    And it's good to hear the booster should still be use able, less money to spend.

I agree there were some tweaks to the suspension over the years, but again everything is interchangeable from 94-04. The 99-04 control arms did change the shape to allow more tire clearance than the earlier 94-98 control arms, so that can be helpful. The spindles didn't change after 96, so no difference or issues there.

Caliper bolts are one thing, I thought you were talking about cradle bolts, etc. in regards to installing all the disc brakes onto your setup. I still personally prefer OEM hardware when possible, just make sure anything you buy is the proper grade and style to replace the original and you will be fine.

Try the booster out first and see how it works, so feel the need for more assist, but most are happy with the stock unit.

Good Luck!

Trey
    Last edited by wraithracing; 12-08-2015 at 12:17 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Don't waste your time on the two piston PBR Mustang V6/GT calipers. They have a problem with pistons sticking. I actually posted a thread a while back and it turns out that the single piston 94-98 calipers are better than the 99-04 two piston calipers.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

How did you test the calipers? Was the single piston more consistent or had more actual stopping power over the pbr? With the pbr's, the pads have a lot more surface area so I'd imagine that they would have an advantage over the single pistons.
    I'll have to look into the sticking pistons and search for your thread, it sounds useful.

Here is the thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...aliper-upgrade

Keep in mind I'm not talking about the 13" Cobra brakes. The single piston 11" brakes and the PBR dual piston 11" brakes are what I was asking for a comparison of.

I have an 04 GT that doesn't get driven much and with less than 55k on it, the front brakes were hanging up pretty often. Those calipers were a bad idea.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

It sounds like they know what they are talking about. Thanks Travis.

That was Jack from Maximum Motorsport. Those guys know their Mustangs.

As Trey pointed out, the "sn95" spindle comes in two verities; 94/95 and 96+. For the Fox chassis cars running stock k members, it's imperative to use the 94/95 version to avoid steering geometry issues - i.e., bump steer. Moreover, when using the sn95 spindle with the stock 85 K-member, you will lose all of your negative camber adjustment. This is due to the .5" further inboard per-side a-arm pick-up mount than the later V8 cars in combination with the sn95 spindle design. At minimum, you'll need CC plates to regain at lest spec negative camber. But if you want a performance setting, then you might want to use the doner's a-arms which are 1.25" longer than the Fox chassis arms. So long as you don't get into 17x8 or 9" wheels, there shouldn't be any fender interference. By using the longer a-arms, you gain front track width which helps reduce Mustang under steer, and better camber gain for corner traction.

The rear brakes are the same whether they are from a GT or v6 - 38mm caliper 10.5" unvented rotors. Even the Cobra uses the same caliper; however the rotors are bigger (11.65") and vented. The axle shafts on both the 7.5 and 8.8 are the same 28 spline (shaft and housing lengths differ based upon year: 86-93; 94-98 (shafts only); 99-04 (shafts and housing).

As for the benefit of the Cobra brakes, they provide more heat sink for cooling purposes (13" rotor against 11" rotor). But unless repeated high speed stops are in your future, the bigger rotor is unnecessary. Multiple piston calipers add some benefit to clamping force but ultimately, the tires stop the car. It's very important to balance your F/R brake torque. As Jack mentioned in the linked article above, Ford purposely moved the brake torque bias rearward on the later cars due to the weight, use of ABS and revised anti-dive. An old Fox chassis has none of these features so be sure you get the F/R brake torque bias correct on your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Here is the thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...aliper-upgrade

Keep in mind I'm not talking about the 13" Cobra brakes. The single piston 11" brakes and the PBR dual piston 11" brakes are what I was asking for a comparison of.

I have an 04 GT that doesn't get driven much and with less than 55k on it, the front brakes were hanging up pretty often. Those calipers were a bad idea.
    I agree that MM knows what they are talking about but I find it hard to believe that Ford would continually use sticking calipers from 99 to 04. I am saying this because I have a set of 04 PBR calipers and rotors that I will be putting on this winter. Maybe, unfortunately for me (and you) it was only an 04 issue?
    05 Corvette Z51

When I started having problems with my 04's brakes, I Googled it and found lots of people with New Edge Mustangs complaining about that issue, but I'm sure not everyone does. Mine sits for extended periods of time, that may not help.

When I started having problems with my 04's brakes, I Googled it and found lots of people with New Edge Mustangs complaining about that issue, but I'm sure not everyone does. Mine sits for extended periods of time, that may not help.
    Second this. Mine stick. I'm dumping them in the spring for the '94-98 ones.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Second this. Mine stick. I'm dumping them in the spring for the '94-98 ones.
    Dang it. Thanks for the info.
    05 Corvette Z51

Interesting. I have an 01 Cobra that uses the 40mm 2 piston PBRs; no problems with any sticking. I have about 175K miles on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    Interesting. I have an 01 Cobra that uses the 40mm 2 piston PBRs; no problems with any sticking. I have about 175K miles on the car.
    Those are different. They are the 13" brakes everyone seems to want. I wouldn't be surprised if they have metal pistons too. We're talking about the 11" GT brakes.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual