Close

Thread: Brakes are RIP

Default Brakes are RIP

I had what seemed like master cylinder problems over the past few months where my brake pedal would sink to the floor on occasion, but if you pumped the brakes it would stop fine. My fox was in the shop a little over a month ago and they told me that my brakes were fine. I was like, uh, okay. Well I kept driving it around and now pumping my pedal doesn't really work, and my fox stops as slowly as a train would. I'd drive it somewhere to get it fixed but I'm scared that the brakes are going to completely give out.

My master cylinder is full, and that's all I really know. I have drum brakes in the rear as well.
    1985 GT with t tops

Sounds like your brake master cylinder may be going bad.

Have you tried bleeding the brakes? (I just assumed that's what the shop did)

Well none of this started until I took my car to Goodyear and got them to change out the brake fluid back in March. The brake fluid was black, so I figured it was about time to get it changed. I'm competent enough to work on it myself, but I live in an apartment complex and I really can't work on my car in the parking lot, because I don't have room. But to answer your question, no I haven't done that.

Edit: I don't think the shop even did that. It was in there to get the u-joints replaced, and an oil leak fixed, some other stuff done to it as well. My fox is still hemorrhaging oil too, imagine that. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.
    Last edited by scarecrow; 11-27-2015 at 06:00 PM.
    1985 GT with t tops

Brakes aren't something you should cheap out on, for obvious safety reasons. If it were my car, I'd probably just go ahead and change the master cylinder. They don't cost very much, and if your brake fluid was black, the master cylinder is probably pretty old too. Also have the system completely flushed with fresh brake fluid again. Then see what you have for brakes.

PS - Also have them inspect and adjust the rear brakes.

Rule of thumb, if your pedal goes to the floor once and there are no leaks, change the master cylinder.
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

Mine did the same thing this summer. Pedal went to the floor but could pump the pedal to get it to stop. Mine was leaking between the master cylinder and the brake booster. I read a sign of a bad brake booster is a hard pedal to press. I replaced both the master cylinder and the booster.
    Last edited by fascat; 11-27-2015 at 11:24 PM.