Close

Default Hood Stripe and Decals

I'm sure this is probably a dumb question but I will ask anyways.

On my 84 8Q (desert tan) GT, would the hood stripe be one solid piece with a GT decal stuck on it and would the GT have been tan also to match the car?
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

If I recall correctly, the GT was cut out of the decal and the tan showed through
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

From what I'm currently researching, it looks like 83-84 had the decal placed on the hood stripe and 85-86 had the GT cut out of the hood stripe and had additional horizontal stripes at the front of the hood.

I found this decal for the hood but I have no idea if this would be the proper color for the hood as it looks too dark and just says tan.

https://lmr.com/item/OS-DF1050/83-84...Hood-Decal-Tan

Attachment 93075

I'm wanting to do some black friday shopping for the GT so if anyone can steer me right so I can order the right decals, I would be grateful!
    Brock

Here is another option for you although it doesn't actually answer your question.

http://www.graphic-express.com/ford-...ood-decal.html

This one doesn't show any tan options, but still another one.

http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford/sk107.php

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Brock, As I recall you are correct and I believe the reason for that was because the blackout on 83-84s was not not fact a large vinyl piece but rather matt black paint. At least my 83 is and I know it is original. There were a number of different GT vinyl decals depending depending your your body colour.

Thanks Trey. That helps with the main hood stripe but not so much just the decal. I will keep looking around for the GT hood decal as I swear I seen it somewhere. If not, I might have to find a different avenue as I would rather have no GT on the hood as opposed to something that is way out in left field and doesn't look right. I'm trying to cure that issue already with wrong badges LOL!
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 9D83 View Post
    Brock, As I recall you are correct and I believe the reason for that was because the blackout on 83-84s was not not fact a large vinyl piece but rather matt black paint. At least my 83 is and I know it is original. There were a number of different GT vinyl decals depending depending your your body colour.
    Interesting. I'm not 100% sure if my hood stripe is painted on or vinyl. I might have to check that out.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Here is another option for you although it doesn't actually answer your question.

http://www.graphic-express.com/ford-...ood-decal.html

This one doesn't show any tan options, but still another one.

http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford/sk107.php

Trey
    The first one posted by Trey has this:

Available in paint stencil for direct painting on vehicle.......... You measure out placement and apply your own paint
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post

Available in paint stencil for direct painting on vehicle.......... You measure out placement and apply your own paint
    I did see that and may be the way I need to go if I want to almost match the factory color for the GT. I do like how the stencil is a dollar more than the sticker LOL.
    Brock

Your hood should be painted black. The GT would be a tan decal and the stripe decal is one piece but would have a tan 3/8" stripe, a black 1/8" stripe and a tan 1/8" stripe. Only the 85-86 cars had a decal for the blackout.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Your hood should be painted black. The GT would be a tan decal and the stripe decal is one piece but would have a tan 3/8" stripe, a black 1/8" stripe and a tan 1/8" stripe. Only the 85-86 cars had a decal for the blackout.
    You lost me Travis.....LOL! Are you saying this is incorrect?

Attachment 93080
    Brock

Nope I think he's saying same as me. Black portions were paint in 83,84. Makes sense as the grille had to be painted (as well as the power dome on 83's- early 84s). No dome or grille on 85,86 so they could go with vinyl. To accompany they made GT decals and stripe trim tape- the latter prob to cover up any slight issues with the painted edge on the hood. Looks like you have both. And looks good btw!
    Last edited by 9D83; 11-27-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9D83 View Post
    Nope I think he's saying same as me. Black portions were paint in 83,84. Makes sense as the grille had to be painted (as well as the power dome on 83's- early 84s). No dome or grille on 85,86 so they could go with vinyl. To accompany they made GT decals and stripe trim tape- the latter prob to cover up any slight issues with the painted edge on the hood. Looks like you have both. And looks good btw!
    Ohhhh.....I understand what that means now! Thanks for the clarification! Must still be suffering mental side effects from all the turkey yesterday LOL! Thanks for the compliment!
    Brock

Yeah, sorry. By stripe decal I meant the border "pinstripe" around the black painted section.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to go the route that Conmech pointed out and get the stencil for the GT emblem and have a paint shop mix up some 8Q and spray it on. If you look at the hood stripe, it is evident where it needs to go as the GT outline is still there.
    Brock

Best of luck with it. Pics required after completion.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Best of luck with it. Pics required after completion.
    Ordered the template and badges this am. Now the trick will be finding a paint shop around here that can actually mix a little paint up to match! Pics will definitely be posted as soon as I complete the job.
    Brock

It will probably be a lot cheaper to find a spray can with the right color. A few companies do offer factory paint code-specific colors. Since you will be painting on the black section, the color doesn't need to be so precise, anyway. Here's one in the 8Q color.

http://www.brandsport.com/plik-1020.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
    It will probably be a lot cheaper to find a spray can with the right color. A few companies do offer factory paint code-specific colors. Since you will be painting on the black section, the color doesn't need to be so precise, anyway. Here's one in the 8Q color.

http://www.brandsport.com/plik-1020.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the link Saturn.

I talked to a paint supplier yesterday that we have used at the plant for odds and ends and he said mixing up some 8Q wouldn't be a problem. It would be about $7 a spray bomb and guarantees the color to match. I trust him as they took a picture of one of our boilers and mixed up custom paint and it was a dead on match.

Also, I did look at my hood stripe closer last night and you were right Travis, it is in fact painted on and not vinyl. The secondary pin stripe on the side though is just 1 single black vinyl stripe though and not a multi-stripe.
    Brock

Your pinstripe should mimic the one on the red bumper here. Black cars like mine are odd with the silver stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Your pinstripe should mimic the one on the red bumper here. Black cars like mine are odd with the silver stripes.

I know the red 84 1/2 bumper I have has the tape style multi-colored stripe like what you have posted, but my GT is just a single vinyl black stripe as opposed to the multi-colored stripe. It might just be that way as the car has been repainted at one point in time and the multi-colored stripe was not available. One question that pops up out of my own curiosity is....did the multi-colored stripe just get put on the bumper cover on these cars or did they also utilize it on the hood stripe to cover blemishes during the painting procedure?
    Brock

Also at the cowl end the black does not line up with the width of the cowl vent. the black goes about a 1/2 inch beyond the cowl vent on each side and step up in the metal hood. The stripes are well away from the cowl vent.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Default Adding some additional pics

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Also at the cowl end the black does not line up with the width of the cowl vent. the black goes about a 1/2 inch beyond the cowl vent on each side and step up in the metal hood. The stripes are well away from the cowl vent.
    Brock,
    My hood has never been painted. Some reference pictures to describe what everyone is saying here.

Jason
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  31.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  46.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  52.9 KB

I was here a long time ago and now I'm getting the 86gt back on the road after a 12 year debacle where a friend was "painting" my car before he finally said "i don't do that any more". I was actually just looking for the stencil with absolutely no luck. Came here and in minutes got the info i needed.

Thanks Trey and Marshall, and every one else too

Shag