Close

Default sn95 control arms on fairmont and s197 wheels

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have looked over many of the past posts but still have some questions. I have an 81 futura that I am collecting parts for to convert to cobra brakes and MM bilstein coilovers. My main question is, should I use 94-04 arms to get optimum camber? One of the last items on my list to get are wheels. Wouldn't the 05+ mustang wheels with the greater offset be the "hot ticket" for keeping the tires under the fenders? I already have a wider 94 cobra rearend assembly. I have considered converting to stock fox width, but the diff is a 31 spline, so the cheapie aerostar axle swap does not apply, then I'd also be on the hook for some north brackets too. So for me, wouldn't it be a cheaper, balanced approach to increasing track all the way around, then correcting down with the new mustang wheels? Would I then have coilover clearance issues? Any help appreciated. Thank you, Chris
    Last edited by fairmonster; 11-27-2015 at 02:46 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Well, in my opinion, there is no way SN95 control arms will fit on an F/Z without surgery on the fenders. Martin71GT has pulled his outward with good results.

I can tell you my experience. I have an '87-93 aftermarket k-member, Fox length control arms, and '94-95 spindles. I used to have '01-04 Bullitt wheels, and those did NOT fit under the fenders on my Zeph. I think if I had gone with S197 wheels (instead of the SVO wheels I did get), I probably would have been okay. If I'd added SN95 control arms into the mix, no freakin' way.

That said, there are narrower K-members you can get, '78-86 and SVO at the narrowest, but I don't have experience with either of those, so I can't say for sure.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thank you for the information Brad. Since my fox is an early one with the narrow k member, I am still curious as if this would work. From what I read on another post it appears as if ltdscott did it on his 85 ltd. I guess I need to get ahold of some arms and wheels and see where it leads me! I'll let the group know what happens!

LTDScott's car is a masterpiece! But yeah, let us know! Best of luck to you!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FWIW, I ran the sn95 a-arms on my 86 Mustang with stock k-member. I needed to set camber at -1.75* minimum and ride height at 25-5/8". With those settings I didn't need to modify the fenders. Wheel/tire package was 245/45/17 (8" wheel), 255/40/17 (8" wheel), or 255/45/17 (9" wheel).
    Last edited by qtrracer; 12-19-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    FWIW, I ran the sn95 a-arms on my 86 Mustang with stock k-member. I needed to set camber at -1.75* minimum and ride height at 25-5/8". With those settings I didn't need to modify the fenders. Wheel/tire package was 245/45/17 (8" wheel), 255/40/17 (8" wheel), or 255/45/17 (9" wheel).
    From what I've seen, oddly enough, F/Zs seem to have LESS room under the fenders than Fox Mustangs. Also, wheel offset is very key for fitting under F/Z fenders, hence the talk of S197 and SVO wheels.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I have been looking for a set of 99+ arms and have come to the realization that if I buy used ones at $60-80, then buy new bushings and ball joints at $130, then paying a shop to install them $50-60? plus all the running around...for less than $100 more, delivered to my door - I could buy a set of MM tubular arms that would hold their resale indefinitely over the stockers if I ever changed my mind or if they wouldn't fit the car. I even question spending the $60-80 for used ones to mock up on the car. Well see what Santa brings! I do have to say though, I was giddy with excitement..I priced out Brembo slotted rotors on Amazon for $378 - ouch.. I forgot about it until they sent an ad my way days later, offering their "last set" at 44% off, which was $247! I bit.