Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Manual Transmission Choices

Hey guys, I have questions regarding manual transmission choices.

My 84 GT has the 5.0/T-5 combo and over the winter I have been thinking about dropping it and have it gone through as it does seem to have some bearing/gear noise in it. I have read plenty on rebuilds that end up costing a small fortune due to damage and shafts getting harder to find.

This leads me to the question......I have located a Tremec TR3650 out of an 03 GT and was wondering if this would be a good upgrade, or even possible and if so, what parts would be needed to put it behind my 5.0? Anybody have any experience with this swap or even the 3650 as a whole? Or is there a better transmission choice to possibly replace the T-5 with?
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

If your 5.0 is going to remain relatively stock, I'd just keep the T5.

If you are worried about rebuild costs, you could buy a remanufactured T5: $1133

http://www.midwesttrans.com/T5_World...nsmission.html

Btw if you order from them ^ order one for an 85 (world class T5 upgrade)

A TR-3650 won't just bolt up to a Windsor family block. You need to change a lot of stuff.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    A TR-3650 won't just bolt up to a Windsor family block. You need to change a lot of stuff.
    That answers that question and was directly to the point!
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    If your 5.0 is going to remain relatively stock, I'd just keep the T5.

If you are worried about rebuild costs, you could buy a remanufactured T5: $1133

http://www.midwesttrans.com/T5_World...nsmission.html
    Btw if you order from them ^ order one for an 85 (world class T5 upgrade)
    I just checked their site and it appears they have them on sale for $1,000. Thanks for the link! Might be the way I go but I still am curious on other transmission possibilities as eventually as time goes on, I know more power will be coming for the car.

I have not really done much research on other possible setups as the T-5's have been good to me over the years, but sometimes the thought of beefier 5 and possibly 6 speeds piques my interest for future upgrades.
    Brock

The WC T5 is still fine for the usual bolt on 5.0 mods, mainly because the torque is not increased nearly as much as HP. Unless you plan on doing hard launches on sticky race tires, it should be fine.
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 11-25-2015 at 02:31 PM.

The WC T5 is still fine for the usual bolt on 5.0 mods, mainly because the torque is not increased nearly as much as HP. Unless you plan on doing hard launches on sticky race tires, it should be fine.
    I agree. I think the T5 is stronger than most people give it credit for. Yes hard launches on sticky tires are pushing it a bit, but then again I launch mine hard enough to pull the wheels a bit and use slicks. In 691 drag strip passes I've only had a failure at the start once. This with a basically stock T5.

What they won't take, especially with more than stock power is power shifting them. Third gear will break, probably sooner rather than later.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

New User

Any manual trans questions for a T-5 mustang. Call Hanlon Motorsports at 610-469-2695. They are the best. Can steer you in the right direction. WWW.hanlommotorsports.com.

Just as a question, what's the main difference from an earlier T-5 and the later WC T-5? What's the benefit from going to the later version?
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I agree. I think the T5 is stronger than most people give it credit for. Yes hard launches on sticky tires are pushing it a bit, but then again I launch mine hard enough to pull the wheels a bit and use slicks. In 691 drag strip passes I've only had a failure at the start once. This with a basically stock T5.

What they won't take, especially with more than stock power is power shifting them. Third gear will break, probably sooner rather than later.
    Thanks guys, that is good news. I do not have the intention of throwing monster stickies on it and hitting the 1/4 mile as drag racing is not really my flavor. If anything, this car may see some time on the road course later down the road where shifting will constant. I assume that the T-5 should be able to handle that fairly well and I don't powershift so hopefully a good rebuild will take care of things. I'm not for certain if I have a WC or NWC T-5 in it, as I have found other parts of the car that have been upgraded, so I need to climb under the car and see if I can find any markings on it before proceeding any further.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 79347 View Post
    Any manual trans questions for a T-5 mustang. Call Hanlon Motorsports at 610-469-2695. They are the best. Can steer you in the right direction. WWW.hanlommotorsports.com.
    Thanks for the link.....even though it is HANLONmotorsports.com not HANLOMmotorsports.com ! I will definitely give them a call after the holiday weekend and ask them a few things.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Just as a question, what's the main difference from an earlier T-5 and the later WC T-5? What's the benefit from going to the later version?
    This is the main difference according to Hanlon Motorsports.....

There are two basic kinds of V8 T-5's, Non World Class (NWC) and World Class (WC). In the NWC T5's the counter gears spin on straight cylindrical bearings with thrust washer in front. 3rd, 4th and 5th gears used solid bronze synchros. 1st and 2nd gears used fiber linings bonded to steel rings. Torque rating for the NWC was 265ft/lbs.

In the WC T5's the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears ride on roller needle bearings to reduce drag and the counter gears now have taper roller bearings. All main shaft synchros were now fiber lined steel rings for easier shifting. Torque rating initially was 265ft/lbs but increased to 300ft/lbs and later 330ft/lb for the Motorsports "Z" version.

Basically the way I read it, they were built better so they could handle more power.
    Brock

Don't forget about the different first gear ratios.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Don't forget about the different first gear ratios.
    Great point. I'm hoping maybe I can find out what exactly is in the tranny as I'm not sure if it is stock or not. I do know first gear is about useless unless on a steep hill but that may be due to the rear end in it also. I do know it has the 8.8 upgrade as opposed to the factory 7.5 so I'm, not sure what my rear gear is.
    Brock

Brock, you're handy enough, order you a Hanlon kit, some snap ring pliers and a good manual and go for it yourself. I did it once, it's stupid simple.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Brock, you're handy enough, order you a Hanlon kit, some snap ring pliers and a good manual and go for it yourself. I did it once, it's stupid simple.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Travis and good to know that they are not that complicated! I may have to see what a rebuild kit from Hanlon will cost. I'm sure I could probably rebuild it if I get a good video/manual to follow.
    Brock

I used the Ford 1984 shop manual, took the whole thing apart and laid the pieces out in the order they came out, compared the new pieces to the old and replaced when I found the match then put it all together. Unlike the one I had rebuilt, mine worked perfect when I reinstalled it! The kit was $250 back in the late 90s and I had paid $856 to have one rebuilt by a shop and it had to come back out.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

The first time I rebuilt mine I used a shop manual and it wasn't bad, but after that I got the video that Hanlon has which walks you through the entire rebuild step by step. It's really well done and outlines exactly what to check for wear in determining whether parts can be reused or not. I highly recommend it.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Thanks guys! I think I will go this route and get the kit and video from Hanlon since they seem to be highly regarded. Whats the worst that can happen.........LOL!
    Brock

First you should determine if you have a WC T5, that might sway your decision to rebuild, or upgrade it to a reman WC T5. To do this you need to read the ID tag that is bolted to the transmission.

The T-5 is generally identified by a 1352-xxx number stamped on a metal tag on a tail housing bolt. This tag is normally under the second bolt from the top on the left side of the transmission.
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 11-28-2015 at 10:24 AM.

If it helps, here are some T5 ID & specs I got years ago...

Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

First you should determine if you have a WC T5, that might sway your decision to rebuild, or upgrade it to a reman WC T5. To do this you need to read the ID tag that is bolted to the transmission.

The T-5 is generally identified by a 1352-xxx number stamped on a metal tag on a tail housing bolt. This tag is normally under the second bolt from the top on the left side of the transmission.
    DOH!!!! Thanks for the reminder! I suppose I better verify what I have before buying parts......I've got way to much on my mind to be thinking about car part shopping. If it is a NWC, I will probably just go ahead and get a reman WC as that seems like the thing to do.

Guess I need to put this on the top of my list in big bold letters! CHECK TRANSMISSION TAG

Wait......what if it doesn't have a tag? How do I identify it then?
    Brock

No tag makes it harder to ID (especially with the trans still in the car)

No tag probably means it was rebuilt at some point.

Here's what you are looking for:

http://www.pro-forceperformance.com/...tification.htm

It should have a partial VIN stamped in it too, I believe on the passenger side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast