Close

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

I'm going to be having a look at a "big valve", built-by-a-race-shop-in-the-80's, 302 with high-rise dual-plane Weiand 4-bbl intake, etc. on/with it, for potential violence infusion into the 'vert.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Thinking of throwing in the towel on the 351?
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    Thinking of throwing in the towel on the 351?
    Not yet, Thomas. Just keeping my eyes peeled for something potentially quicker/cheaper to build. The cylinder boring and piston hanging and such makes the Windsor further away than I can manage all at once to fairly quickly get something in there. The 302 I looked at today has an honest present owner. It's still all buttoned up, but is on the floor, and another is in his car. During some kind of shipping shenanigans across the country with the car (a bit rough but a real nice '66 Fairlane (that I would love to own... I honestly considered offering a trade right then and there for this little red devil of mine, lol)), somehow between truck to truck transfer or something, somebody managed to drop a valve... obviously, the dumbasses took a "ride" and rodded the pi$$ out of it, and one bent valve isn't likely all that's wrong... anyway, I passed on that one. Otherwise, as I'm able, I'll work away at and get stuff for and stuff done with the Windsor over the winter.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I see. Finding something ready to drop in (or close) definitely get you going quicker.

I had originally planned to drop a 351W in my car. Decided in the end I didn't want to hassle with the extra mods that came with it (hood, exhaust, accessories, etc.). One of those wish I did, glad I didn't scenarios. I still think I'd like to do a 408 in the future though. Keep thinking I'd like to build a 460 too, but not sure what I'd put it in.

Bet that Fairlane was cool. Would love to have something like that someday. Or maybe a Galaxie, something I can pile all the kids in and go out cruising.
    Thomas

347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Yeah, just being able to hone cylinders, and reassemble with rings/bearings/gaskets/etc is what I'd rather have/find.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Snatched a SBF Performer RPM intake... looking at some potential 302 short block candidates (a '69 and a '77 302) on Saturday...

Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Finally able to say that there's a healthy 302 candidate for use on the premises today
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

FEP Supporter

Still going to use the Performer RPM? Anything planned for the heads and cam?
    '85 GT

Yes, Sir. Vic's been standing against the wall, looking at me for nearly three months and asking every day, "so, what are we doing?" lol!! To see which heads are on the 302. I'm assuming E7TE's on an '89... we'll see... there's a decent set of D8's here otherwise. Screw-in studs and adjustable rockers, home brew port clean up and matching. Camshaft - depending on how much compression I end up with, but I'd like to use at least 224-degrees @ 0.050" intake.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Thrashed, sweating absolute frickin' bullets, and disassembled the 302 today. Very nice standard bores, with no ring ridges, and even some cross-hatch still visible, and nice smooth crank journals... JUST the things we love to find.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Sounds like you found a good one, Mike. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.
    Thomas

I'm pleased with it's condition... there's always one thing though, lol... there's a replacement piston coming for it next week, Sealed Power $7.52 @ RockAuto. Number 2's one skirt has cracked. No biggie, cylinder lightly scored... hone-able. I'm not liking the double-the-cost of metric 1.50mm piston rings and 4.00mm oil rings though... I'm contemplating some other flat tops (the originals in this '89 are very nearly flat tops, with 0.030" deep by 2-1/2" diameter "dishes") and traditional 5/64" rings and 3/16" oil rings... because, yes, we're still operating on the half a shoestring budget over here, lol

All but two water pump/timing cover bolts'/studs' heads busted clean off... had to destroy the pump and the timing cover to get them off... sucker had a double roller timing set in there, goose loose of course... so the remainder of two studs still have to be extracted out of the block, both at the uppers above the water pump ports... so there's work to do... tomorrow, I'll get at that stuff and tap out the lifters and it's scraping the caked grease and dirt off of it and it's bath time with oven cleaner and scrubbing and the hose and the blow gun
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 08-17-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I hear ya on the budget thing. Looks like you're getting the plan together though. Hopefully those studs don't put up too much of a fight for you.
    Thomas

I've got easy-out's and heat, and the tenacity... they're already as good as out. Looks like (rusted, no allen key hole any more) I'll have to drill and extract one of the coolant drain plugs too. Either way, Saturday morning will be about finishing stripping it of all remaining hang-on's, busted bolts, core and oil galley cup and threaded plugs and dowels, and getting it nice and clean with the long galley/passage cleaning brushes I've got here too.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

The 302 block was cleaned, readied, painted, and bagged back in late August.

If I go with it, pistons and rings/bearings/gaskets/etc. needed for it...
    Though the Windsor is still on deck for consideration (over-boring, pistons, etc)...

Got everything but the speedometer cable, shifter cable, and neutral safety switch removed/out/apart today... she's nose up on the ramps in the driveway, ready for the engine and transmission to be yanked, hopefully soon...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Inch or two of precipitated snow/slush here today, and rain tonight. Needless to say, nothing accomplished on the 'Stang. Instead, continued working some on a pair of Dellorto 40mm 2-barrel carburetors, off of a hopped up (at some race engine place in California) VW bug... these are expensive Italian Weber 2-barrel clones, and are very interesting to work on to say the least.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 11-13-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Engine and transmission is out on the driveway in front of the car. Supposed to snow about 6" tomorrow. Will separate them on Saturday or Sunday... pics to follow...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Are you the abominable snow man?
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Pretty much.

Speaking of snow, there wasn't nearly enough sun today to put a dent in the couple inches of snowfall. The fairly newly acquired good used and super-tuned snowblower did a great job sending rooster tails of snow outta the driveway though, LOL!!! So, shooting for tomorrow and hopefully a little less of this white stuff around to separate the engine/transmission...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Sleepin', a long winter's nap...

It's hard to see, as I just snapped a pic leaning out of the door this evening, lol, but in front of the car in the driveway on axle stands and pieces of wood is the tired door-stop 3.8, tarped, and with the catastrophic-convertered y-pipe and manifolds draped over top. The C5 transmission is safely tucked away in the shed.

Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Glad to see you making some progress, Mike. Look forward to seeing more.
    Thomas

Thanks Thomas. I'm slowly working away at squaring away everything needed for the Windsor... might be a while though. Think I've got somebody who's going to make use of the 302 I got ready this past summer. This is the second time I'm in position to get a Windsor ready (the first time I ended up having to sell the whole shooting match... all blue printed, rpm intake, etc...), so I'm thinking hell-or-high-water, we're doing a Windsor for this lil red devil

For now, I assembled an image for folks who may be wondering what exactly the difference is between a 302 and a 351W dimensionally, as to their deck height differences, width and height-wise, specifically for considerations I'm contemplating regarding whatever h-pipe or exhaust front pipes I end up getting... which may need some extending to fit the Fox chassis parameters. I'd rather modify exhaust pipe than have to fork over larger bucks for specific "swap" headers just to fix the 302 Fox pipes etc scenario....

Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Holy factory cylinder heads, Batman!

It pays to keep one's ears and eyes peeled. Not only did I find some salvageable 1969 and 1970 351 Windsor cylinder heads, but also a pair of early small quench chamber "4V" Cleveland cylinder heads that are already modified for "Clevor" duty... for a bargain...

Fasten your seat belts... 2019 could be very interesting indeed!

Boss 408?!?!?!!!
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 12-31-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

FEP Supporter

Nice score! I'm rooting for the Clevor outcome!
    '85 GT

Love the clevor builds. Document the heck out of it for us — love seeing all the details that are easy to forget!

I’d have FTI whip up a cam for that dragon of yours — will make it breath a lot more fire for sure!

Area under curve on a stroker that breathes 300+ CFM on the intake side will be beyond “stupid” for sure. Only trick will be a rotating assembly up to the task of taxing those intake ports!

Not sure how many remember these heads or have seen them in action but they are an uncaged animal for their time! Lots of Cleveland bottom ends gave their last spin on the way to the moon and threw a rod trying to tax those heads.

I well remember going for a hell ride in a pro street 68 Mustang fastback with a stroked and fully built 351C that ran high 8’s in the 90’s ....

I also remember seeing an early Cougar with a poked and stroked 351C built with two 4 barrels on top that got shifted at 9000 —- trans broke during his run and he threw a rod right through the hood as the engine layed the tach past 10K and flew apart catostropically

Anyway — refocusing on street ...with the right other parts and good compression and fuel there is still potential for north of 600 streetsble horsepower at the flywheel there. Of course you already know that and it’s why you own those heads I’m sure. Congratulations — exciting old school build you have there!

On your way to some hurt LS feelings there for sure! Lol

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast