Close

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

To take a "political dive" for a second...I agree with you. Politically driven nonsense. I honestly did not think it could happen....

... and yet "it" is still happening... North Americans (actually everyone everywhere), please remove gubberment-and-mainstream-media-installed sh*t-covered glasses, stand up, and learn to say the word "NO!"... 'nuff said about that...

To those in the future converting an original 3.8L V6 and C5 transmission over to V8 power... if you don't already know, be aware, something that I've now learned, the hard way, is that the 3.8 positions itself and the transmission 1 inch further forward than all other Fox chassis power train combinations that I'm aware of... I recalled from ancient history and viewing the old '80's/'90's Ford Motorsport catalogs that the common (replacement) drive shaft length is 45.5" long (u-joint to u-joint centers)... what will NOT install back into my car at present (previously installed 306... more recent in history, 8.8 posi, etc.) is exactly 46.5" long... I'm currently looking for a (common - 2.3 auto/manual, 2.8 auto/manual(?), 3.3 auto/manual(?), 5.0 auto/manual) 45.5" long drive shaft... because the one establishment that I visited for a quote so far wanted $250 to remove the inch from what I have and to re-balance it...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Holley 950 3-barrel (Date Code 863 - 1968, June, 3rd week ), front metering block and special different rear metering block prepared for it, calibrated, ready to rock... hopefully firing it up tomorrow after a long snooze since last fall...

Last edited by Walking-Tall; 09-10-2021 at 07:08 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Mike, I feel incredibly stupid asking this question....but I cannot determine the answer. There are three wires on my coil: 1 green with yellow stripe, and two red with green stripe. Which of these is the positive side of the coil?

First, don't.
    My memory's not good enough to recollect why there may be two red with green stripe (positive side), but they must be connected one and the same, for whatever reason, and connecting into either whichever is most convenient should do...
    Here's my ignition schematic image again...

Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I realize I am pulling you through a time warp every time I ask a question. I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

Your car is looking beastly these days!

FEP User

I C U updated ur '4 eyes" round Thanksgivin of '15.
    Might B silly but:
    Where did U get the headlight bezels?

I'm having trouble w/my new '85 wagon.
    Same yr stang from LMR do not extend to chrome surrounds like my '85 LTD fox wagon.
    Any details? (I no its' been awhile).
    Thnx.
    Chad
    Seeking: fox station wagon int/ext trim (esp LTD/Marquis)
    Retire/restore ol Bronk to daughter
    chrlsful@aol.com

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    First, don't.
    My memory's not good enough to recollect...
    Try good ol gofastforless dot com for more detail - G R E A T mod
    (inexpensive, hide-able, easily sourceable, keep a spare in glovie, etc)
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

Its always nice to see someone put time and effort into a four eye. I read through this entire thread and really like all the pics and detailed information, keep it going!
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Quote Originally Posted by chrlsful View Post
    I C U updated ur '4 eyes" round Thanksgivin of '15.
    Might B silly but:
    Where did U get the headlight bezels?

I'm having trouble w/my new '85 wagon.
    Same yr stang from LMR do not extend to chrome surrounds like my '85 LTD fox wagon.
    Any details? (I no its' been awhile).
    Thnx.
    Not sure what you're asking... ?
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by capri debris View Post
    Its always nice to see someone put time and effort into a four eye. I read through this entire thread and really like all the pics and detailed information, keep it going!
    Thanks very much!
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

FEP User

"...Where did U get the headlight bezels?..."
    too late now (unless there R more there 7 yrs later)
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

I replaced a headlight once... but nothing else has been replaced related to headlights...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Hi Mike, glad to see you back!
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Supporter

^^^^^^^^ Yeah! That!!!!^^^^^^^^^
    '85 GT

Hey Thomas, Steve, thanks
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Mike, I just discovered your build yesterday and read through the entire thread. Amazing work and oddly familiar. So I have always wanted a fox body since middle school. Up until last year I never owned own. About the middle of fall I found myself trading a pair of off-road built Grand Cherokee's for a 1985 GT. It was ragged out pretty bad, setup for drag racing and has had a lot of wire harness hacking. So, I figured I would look for a 4 or 6 cylinder maybe a roller body to swap stuff into. 2 months later I found a 1984 Vert. 98% all original. The 2% not original was the 3.8 had already had the carb swapped and the fuel system modified to run a small electric pump near the carb and someone decided it was a great idea to run true dual exhaust with cherry bomb glass packs (sounds horrible). Anyway, I got the car thinking the head gasket had blown, son and I tore down the top end to inspect, found nothing, and put it back together. Come to find out 4cylinder has 80psi compression the rest 120psi. I tried several concoctions to see if it was stuck rings and nothing. I decided to drive it a bit to see if they would free themselves. Well that's when i realized they carb swapped it, but did not swap the distributor. So I did the same thing you did, I located a 1983 Capri online in a scrap yard down in Virginia and they sent it to me. I bought the duraspark box new as it was cheap and I decided to use a painless harness to connect it versus a stock wire harness. Runs better but it has a cheap Amazon carb from what PO told me. So it sits in the garage waiting for me to tear down the 302 that was pulled from the 85 GT. It is a E7TE block, has a Performer intake, 600cfm AVS2 carb and was swapped to HEI distributor. Was told it was fresh rebuild and bored .030 over but i have no paperwork. So I will be tearing it down to regasket and replace oil, water pumps and paint to put in the Vert.

Sorry for the long post. Just got a little more inspiration after seeing your build. If i find the 302 to have been bored, i will look at a 331 build with it.

Was gonna upload pics but they won't. Vert is E1 Silver, dark blue top and I believe interior is Cadet or Academy Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by AhhHellButch View Post
    Mike, I just discovered your build yesterday and read through the entire thread. Amazing work and oddly familiar. So I have always wanted a fox body since middle school. Up until last year I never owned own. About the middle of fall I found myself trading a pair of off-road built Grand Cherokee's for a 1985 GT. It was ragged out pretty bad, setup for drag racing and has had a lot of wire harness hacking. So, I figured I would look for a 4 or 6 cylinder maybe a roller body to swap stuff into. 2 months later I found a 1984 Vert. 98% all original. The 2% not original was the 3.8 had already had the carb swapped and the fuel system modified to run a small electric pump near the carb and someone decided it was a great idea to run true dual exhaust with cherry bomb glass packs (sounds horrible). Anyway, I got the car thinking the head gasket had blown, son and I tore down the top end to inspect, found nothing, and put it back together. Come to find out 4cylinder has 80psi compression the rest 120psi. I tried several concoctions to see if it was stuck rings and nothing. I decided to drive it a bit to see if they would free themselves. Well that's when i realized they carb swapped it, but did not swap the distributor. So I did the same thing you did, I located a 1983 Capri online in a scrap yard down in Virginia and they sent it to me. I bought the duraspark box new as it was cheap and I decided to use a painless harness to connect it versus a stock wire harness. Runs better but it has a cheap Amazon carb from what PO told me. So it sits in the garage waiting for me to tear down the 302 that was pulled from the 85 GT. It is a E7TE block, has a Performer intake, 600cfm AVS2 carb and was swapped to HEI distributor. Was told it was fresh rebuild and bored .030 over but i have no paperwork. So I will be tearing it down to regasket and replace oil, water pumps and paint to put in the Vert.

Sorry for the long post. Just got a little more inspiration after seeing your build. If i find the 302 to have been bored, i will look at a 331 build with it.

Was gonna upload pics but they won't. Vert is E1 Silver, dark blue top and I believe interior is Cadet or Academy Blue.
    Keep up the good work, you'll get it... and, it's so worth it.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415