Close

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Between carburetor jobs, and more (spring rush madness, lol) carburetor jobs (of interest are two LIST-1850 600 vacuum secondaries to be set up for a B&M 250 roots blown '32 Ford coupe, + others...) coming, and crap weather... Mustang still sits and waits... today was to be the last of the precipitation BS... little bit busy tomorrow, but I'd like for the block to get cleaned up and honed and maybe even the short block put together... we shall see...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 06-06-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

The steering wheel is now CORRECTLY reconnected to the front wheels, lol... CENTERED rack, reinstalled with centered steering wheel, connection and rag joint, tie rod ends, rough eyeball in-the-air toe-in set... good enough for now... that's outta the way... was higher on "the list" because there's ample space to work at it without an engine in the way... speaking of engines, time to get the damn engine together soon...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Got the 302's rotating assembly together about a week ago. The weather here has not been cooperating at all for "the little guy" who needs to accomplish things outside... hour here and there, evenings... soon...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

306 short block's balancer/pointer TDC verified right on the money, camshaft degreed in, and distributor drive, oil pump, pickup, oil pan, timing cover and water pump together late last week. With budget and time constraints (I've got a new grandson in Ontario I haven't met yet... so this SOB needs to get going and back on the road ASAP...), the early Windsor cylinder heads are on the back burner for now, and the carbide-cutter-induced iron flew (ported real good... exhaust exits to gasket size (a bit less than header tube size), intake entrances opened up dead nuts to the Performer RPM's ports, and the valve bowls and short turn radius's smoothed slick like butter) this morning and afternoon out of a pair of good E7TE cylinder heads for it... the last intake port bowl and short turn radius done as it began to effing rain here again... to be continued...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 07-15-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

FEP Supporter

Moving right along Mike! Nice progress!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Moving right along Mike! Nice progress!
    Thanks buddy
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Ported cylinder heads assembled with new springs shimmed for installed height, and new valve seals... bagged, ready for install later or tomorrow...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Got the heads and intake on 'er Monday... sweat frickin' bullets doing so. All rockers tightened to the slight drag point with push rods, and then down fully, resulting in 3/4 to 1 turn, so approximately 0.050-0.060" of lifter preload, perfect.

Rotated the engine to 14-degrees BTDC for #1 on the compression stroke and stabbed in the re-curved DuraSpark II distributor yesterday.

Installed an external transmission cooler (and 5/16 lines for connection for when the engine, transmission, and the side saddle lines are in there) down low to the passenger side, nicely in the wind, ahead of where the radiator will sit... couple couple more doo-dads and this-that-and-the-other things to get and details to wrap up, and 306 is getting screwed to the transmission and slid in there... soon...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 07-26-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

This all sounds great, Mike, but where's the pics?

And congrats on the new grandson.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Lol, Thomas! I'll check out a new camera next week

Thanks, bud, can't wait to meet him

So the plan is: rise and shine (lol, right... coffee!!!) about 5am tomorrow, brew a pot of coffee and get busy outside getting the engine/trans in starting about 6am, to take advantage of the half-dozen or so hours when it's to be around room temperature outside... instead of the daily scorchers we've been getting... stay tuned...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

The list of things to still do (and/or get) is much shorter than what's done, so people will have to use their imaginations for now for what's been accomplished (engine and C5 transmission with new 164-tooth 28.2oz-in flex plate, Ford Motorsport chrome dipstick and tube ('cause that's all I could round up, fairly inexpensively... otherwise I wouldn't give a hoot if one spec of chrome was anywhere on this thing, LOL!), DuraSpark II distributor connected to car's ignition system (if curious, see back the thread for details regarding the use of a 4-pin HEI module and car's original TFI coil with full system voltage etc with a DuraSpark II distributor), a refurbished good old Holley LIST-3310-2 (but with a secondary metering block with #84 jets) 750 vacuum secondary carburetor, headers, h-pipe, pipes and mufflers, etc. in )...

To get/do:
    - necessary (increased) lengths of 5/8" and 3/4" heater hoses
    - clean and flush out radiator
    - install kick down rod, which needed to be lengthened up top 2-1/4"
    - 45-degree exhaust turn-downs (tail pipes will wait for if and until the 8.8 goes in it...)
    - 43" v-belt (alternator positioned down low on passenger side for shortest belt and nice wrap around water pump pulley)
    - shorten original V6's rad hoses a bit
    - install mechanical oil pressure gauge
    - rig up some sort of bottle/reservoir for filling/monitoring steering rack oil
    - "torque chain" driver's side of engine down
    - plug wires and a 180-degree thermostat...

I think that's everything for prior to firing it up for cam/lifters break-in... might need a bit of transmission fluid for the C5 (original spec is Type-H, which exists nowhere... Mercon is supposed to cover it...)... and it looks like the rest of today and through and past the weekend is supposed to be a wash (pun intended ) of rain and "possible severe thunderstorms"... I am SO ready for this thing to come alive...

... and no, I haven't had time or any spare change to check out a new camera yet... so sorry, no pics, yet...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Ummmm, you're like >|------------|< close to being done. Great progress!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

As much as I really would have liked to run the 950 3-barrel and a spacer modified to accommodate it's big single secondary throttle blade, there's exactly just enough room under the closed hood for the Performer RPM intake on a SBF, no carburetor spacer, a Holley carburetor, and the relatively short (~3" tall, a ~2" filter element) 10" diameter air cleaner that I have on it. I also chose against bothering grinding out the necessary secondary throttle blade clearance out of the intake's divider.

As for the 3310-2 750, it's primary idle/transition circuit is calibrated a wee bit on the rich side for no-trouble firing up and running off idle to begin with... with 0.031" primary idle feed restrictions (ideal for this size carburetor (1-11/16" throttle bores) on a stock/mild combination) and 0.070" primary idle air bleeds, which are adjustable, with 10-32x3/16" brass socket set screws with the bleed restriction size precision drilled in them... the primary idle feed restrictions (also adjustable, with 6-32x1/8" brass socket set screws) may need to be increased a thou or two, due to the bit more than stock/mild 218-degrees @ 0.050" camshaft intake duration, but ultimately it's the primary idle air bleeds that will be experimented with (no doubt increased in size, first increasing their size to find "stupid lean" (surging or any kind of "trailer hitching" behavior... too lean) with level road load cruise and light part throttle acceleration, and then stepping back down a few thou until she's a peppy happy camper, lol) once it's on the road for crisp part throttle response and maximum fuel efficiency.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 08-09-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Ummmm, you're like >|------------|< close to being done. Great progress!
    I know!!! Thank you!
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Well... still chipping away at it... slow'n'steady wins the race, right?

Today... installed new mechanical coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges, temporarily removed the distributor and primed the oil pump with a counterclockwise spinnin' drill, and she generated 65psi... so that's good to see. Reinstalled distributor for 14-degrees BTDC initial. Pulled fuel pump fuse, hooked up battery, turned the key to the Run position, reinstalled fuel pump fuse to check carburetor and all fuel connections under-hood... fine.

Remaining "to do":
    - test for ignition spark for certain for immediate fire-up...
    - partially fill cooling system for starters...
    - get and add some transmission fluid...
    - ... probably forgetting something, lol...
    - ... when time and opportunity present themselves...

To be continued...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

So, she fired right up and ran 2000-2500rpm for the ~ half hour to break-in the cam and lifters. A brief hilarious aside was that the carburetor's primary idle/transition circuit was adequately rich enough indeed and with 1-1/2 turns out of the mixture screws (coupled with a first for me, a defective power valve, it's diaphragm leaking some fuel through) to produce the loudest gunshot outta the exhaust you can imagine when I turned the key off, LOL!!! The pipes were good and warm, and the busted off old spark plugs that are presently plugging the oxygen sensor bungs might be what lit off the rich exhaust mixture, lol... anyway, I nearly jumped outta my shoes and instinctively ducked, and somebody the next street over yelled "woo hoo!"... LOL!!!

Dumped and changed that oil and filter. Runs good. Sounds good too with mildly rumpity cam, shorties, h-pipe, pipes and small turbo mufflers and turn downs ahead of the rear axle. First application of the brake pedal and it went to the floor... line that goes down the passenger side inner fender and to the back brakes blew... okay, replaced that section... gotta bleed the rear brakes... 2nd rear bleeder screw tried snapped off... okay, grabbed two wheel cylinders just in case... all this time, brake pedal does not want to return up... different... had better half assist to bleed brakes... little to no fluid getting back there... pedal still goes down but not up... replaced master cylinder... same $hit... convinced now that one or both large springs inside the booster are shot (and/or the diaphragm... because it idles better and cleaner and leaner, spitting a bit of condensation out the exhaust like I like to see when warmed up and the idle mixture is right, with the vacuum hose to the booster disconnected and blocked...)... going to order a brake booster... so, in the fashion this car has acted since I got it, it's going to fight me tooth and nail every inch of the way... holy frustrating... everything I have changed and done is all working fine... I suppose brake issues are better found in the driveway than while motoring down the road... oh, and somehow or other the transmission dip stick tube o-ring isn't doing it's job, so that's next after the damn thing has brakes... and maybe sometime this year I can go down the road with it and dial in extra crispy responsiveness and maximum fuel efficiency...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 09-17-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

FEP Supporter

Good deal! Nice job!

What's the specs on the bumpstick? Flat tappet?
    '85 GT

The stick is a Melling performance flat tappet (part # 24212 ... it, lifters and lube, $235 to my door), with 218-degrees duration @.050 and 0.461" lift... 0.461" lift being the most that could be had with my measurements with single piece retainers ('68 289 - much more stout than the flimsy '91 E7TE units), 16 new intake valve springs (because original ("rotator") exhaust retainers require shorter/different exhaust valve springs, which would have lessened how much valve lift I coulda went with...), and the E7TE valves all at installed heights of 1.75". ... didn't wanna go with anymore camshaft duration with only 9:1 compression, and so she's got a nice bit of choppy rumble at idle outta the pipes... certainly sounds more like it means business than the tired old six that was in 'er, lol
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 09-18-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

FEP Supporter

Understood. So uh, how bout some video of it running? Has the camera situation been rectified?
    '85 GT

Great progress, Mike. So close. Hope to see some pics soon.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Thanks guys.

Camera/video/pics... not so much... truthfully, that hasn't been in mind at all, as I'm becoming less and less impressed with this manufactured-obsolesence tin can with seemingly perpetual bites in the a$$ in one area after another no matter how much good/progress is accomplished... this isn't my first rodeo, having had plenty other vehicles, some of them older at the time and duration of ownership and still and continuing to function fine with most or all OE components on/in them, and doing most everything needing done myself, inexpensively, and never having anywhere near the number of standstill headache issues as with this turkey. I am dangerously close to the "line" where I've had enough - gotta draw the line somewhere - you know, pulling the plug on it, due to recent setbacks, as well as the other things that really should be done with it in the near future to do it justice, and letting somebody else continue on forward with it... the drive line etc could go right into something else... yes, my eyes have indeed recently been wandering around seeing what else older is around... maybe with 4 eyes, maybe not. Anyway, I'll slowly press on as I'm able to, and if I can get ahead of it's misbehavior, and progress, I might be more inclined to do the happy dance and get a camera and pics and/or video to share...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Uninstalled the recently installed new master cylinder, and removed the power brake booster yesterday. What a chore that upper right nut under the dash is... and what an entirely unexpected rusty mess (with damp rust depth that looks like was no doubt affecting function) the backside bottom half of the collar-that-fits-into-the-firewall-hole and surrounding area of that is. Most definitely time for a new one. To be continued...

Side note I don't think I previously mentioned above:
    Something that had to be purchased and installed due to an apparent but dysfunctional option on this 1986 vehicle, was a tachometer. The factory's tiny turn dial for 4/6/8 (cylinder) rpm indication at the bottom of the in-dash tachometer... well, "6" worked for the car's original 3.8 V6, and I discovered that both the "4" and the "8" positions both indicate as for a 4-cylinder engine.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I grabbed a new transmission tail shaft yoke seal (small leak there in protest of the drive shaft yoke's new further in position, regardless of the fact that I cleaned up and polished the drive shaft yoke shaft area right to where the universal joint goes) and sway bar end links locally... they wanted two to three times as much money (compared to RockAuto) for a power brake booster and front calipers, so those are to arrive here Thursday or Friday...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Installed the new power brake booster, re-installed the new master cylinder, and installed the new calipers. Proceeded to bleed the brakes, and noticed a recurring wetness at the short section of brake line out of the master cylinder for the front brakes... tightened the flare nut some more... no dice... so tomorrow I'll open that up and see what's wrong, and probably shorten and re-flare that line at the master cylinder...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 10-05-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

- shortened and re-flared that ^ line at the master cylinder... success
    - bled brakes final time yesterday
    - took 'er for a spin up the street and around the block last night... workin' good...

Today:
    - fixed transmission dipstick tube leak issue
    - verified ~1/8" of toe-in
    - adjusted PS tie rod 1/2 turn out and DS 1/2 turn in, to straighten steering wheel... needs a little bit more tweaking...
    - installed new sway bar end links
    - took another rip up the street and back... yup yup, she likely her newfound muscles
    - after a few more to-do's as time and weather permits, can't wait to venture further with it...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 10-09-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast