Close

Threaded View

Default Mike's 1986 Mustang convertible build thread

Day 1, in the previous owner's garage. He brought it home a year prior, and an '87 5.0L HO (to eventually replace the 3.8L V6) on a stand beside it. He put a new battery in it and did nothing else, it was on the back burner. He thought it would need all new brakes... it had all new brakes on it. He ran into personal issues, and it had to go. It looked decent to me, so I crawled around underneath. There were fairly small soft spot areas in the four corners of the floor, a missing driver's door molding, and the bottom strip of material of the back window curtain had separated and shrunk drooping down. The rims looked okay and the tires decent. It fired right up, and I confirmed my being sure it was CFI, not a carburetor like he thought. The top and windows worked. We struck a deal and the 5.0L and a tarp were included.

If you're thinking that passenger seat below looks cockeyed, you're right. Luckily the floor is good and solid under the rear outer seat bolt, because I had to pound back down where some jackASS had obviously jacked the car up at that point... oye, I have a longer list of things I ran into with this thing that I may share later, lol...

Pretty dirty interior, and there is a dash crack through the far side speaker opening hole...

I thought I'd start a build thread that, for now, might be educational for someone, because there really isn't anything exciting going on yet. I'm just getting it on the road shortly, and it's been a fairly long road so far. I hope you enjoy following along.

Mike
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 07-18-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/