Close

Thread: 3.8L efi swap

86caprirs

Default 3.8L efi swap

Anyone ever done a 3.8L swap into their 4 eye Capri\Mustang? I was thinking of replacing the worn out 3.8 and c4 in my Capri and swap it to a fuel injected 3.8L with a 5 speed manual trans. Anyone done this swap or know where I can find info?

Lots of people do the swap OUT. Maybe somebody here has done it, or check around the 'net for swap info.
    It'd be a matter of finding a donor car with what you want in it, engine, transmission, and computer and harnesses and such.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

There's a build thread here from a guy building a car with a T-bird SC motor. I'll bet he could help. It's "not just another six" or something like that.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I believe Brad is referring to this thread:

More than "just a six"
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    I believe Brad is referring to this thread:

More than "just a six"
    That's the one!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I'm about to embark on this with a 1999 3.8 from my Mustang convertible (body too far gone to repair) into my '80 Zephyr (was built for a Coyote/T56 combo but I don't have the funds, so....).
    Having a complete donor car helps. If your donor is a Fox Mustang then hopefully more things will fit. I'm going SN95 to early non-Mustang Fox which has already had a number of changes, it makes the jigsaw puzzle a bit more complex but having the donor car will make it a lot easier.
    Get a good shop manual (EVTM for the donor car year if possible) and swap as much as you can with it.

No advice except being brave enough to quickly swap out the head gaskets and check for exhast flange casting cracks.I think that year, they got everything right The EECiV systems are lots of fun on the old E90's, EEC5 is kin of a past, but the semi Fox nature of the sensors allow you to swap in the extra grey cable connects if you want it fully OBDII.

I intensely like the Essex 90. It flows on from the ultra-light weight Windsor 221/255/260/289/302/342 as an even lighter economy mouse trap. They made 5.5 million of them over 26 years. The info is fun to conquer!

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2001...d-3-8l-engine/

Its very light, and Ford developed it greatly over the years. The issue is the running changes between truck, front drive and rear drive instillations... they make it hard to trace changes. If you can get your mind around the service level changes, and be brave enough to change the head gaskets before they need to be replaced because of an overheating event, the engine can live a long time.

I can't dislike an engine that makes 217 hp and 262 lb-ft in layer 4.2 liter form. Its sadly typical of the way Fords later empty box designs, to have it so upgraded that nothing of the 1982 design is common to the 2008 F150 engine. In this manner, an early Essex is a potential candidate for the 5.0 M code 165-185 hp CFI treatment...it is technically possible to under-gird a numbers matching 112 hp 3.8 into a 4.2 liter (or greater!) 220 hp plus naturally aspirated V6. With a lot of very hard-core work. The early blocks are just too different and lacking in a quarter of a century of development to take the later gear, but there is total information around for these engines. Since it runs the SBF or EAO block, you can literally use any combination of oddball 4 cylinder or SBF 5.0 gearboxes. The engine and frame mount options for a Fox mean you can even use a FWD block and have a lot of fun mixing and matching a fat stroker freak.

I'd love to do the engine transfer of a late 2007 Freestar FWD 201 hp 4.2L V6 engine block with I/M test info into a Fox, and then slip in a five stage Exploder or Mustang 4.0 gearbox with an adaptor plate. All this could be junk value from hacked off Ford owners of those cars.

86caprirs

After doing research and seeing that thread, I think I am going to go with a 351w swap.