Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Steering Racks: What Am I Looking At?

So, I got a tip that an SVO rack will tighten up my steering response off center. Right now, I have what feels like 6 inches of free play on center.

So, I'm looking on Rock Auto. I looked under '86 Mustang 2.3L Turbocharged. I'm seeing racks priced from about $70-140 (I had NO idea reman racks could be had SO cheap!). But anyway, my question is, some of the listing say "Without performance suspension", and others list SEVERAL part numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm assuming they're showing me ALL racks for '86 Mustangs? Was there an upgraded "Performance Suspension" for SVOs?

How do I figure out which one to get?

Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I think the 84 SVO had a TRW rack. I've read the 03/04 Cobra rack is the best upgrade. I haven't done the swap (yet) but if I were going to do an upgrade I'd look into the Cobra rack.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    I think the 84 SVO had a TRW rack. I've read the 03/04 Cobra rack is the best upgrade. I haven't done the swap (yet) but if I were going to do an upgrade I'd look into the Cobra rack.
    Well, the problem there is, I don't want to have to buy the $400 hybrid shaft required to connect it to my steering column. I looking at bang for the buck too.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

If so, the simple bolt on upgrade would be the TRW rack from a 79-82 TRX equipped Mustang/Capri, or 84 SVO (?), these TRW racks have the desirable variable ratio like your Zeph rack (the ratio is slower at first then increases the further you turn the wheel), but the power assist valving had a "firmer" feel with the TRX package.

PS

All TRW racks had a 20-1 ratio. So if you are looking for quicker steering, you'll have to upgrade to the later 15-1 Ford racks found in the 84+ GT and you should install the matching pump too.
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 11-21-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Ok, well, what rack is currently in your car? The original Zeph TRW?

Also a word of caution, most of those McParts racks are mass remanufactured and not vehicle specific. By that I mean they will fit the intended vehicle, a TRW rack for a TRW car, a Ford rack for a Ford car, but they may or may not have the original performance valving. So just be careful who you are buying it from, and if they know the difference.

I found this quote by Trey that may also help....

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    According to the Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference & Performance Handbook.

Manual steering was offered from 79-84 and then discontinued and was a 4.08 lock to lock.

Power steering was offered from 79-93 and became standard in 1984 as manual was no longer offered.

Early PS racks were made by TRW, then in 1982 Ford began a running change over to the Ford racks. All 83-93 Mustangs were equipped with Ford racks.

The 79 Mustang/Capri racks are essentially carry overs from the 1978 Fairmont/Zephyr. These racks are unique due to the fact that they have variable ratio steering gear. This was an industry first in that the steering ratio changes as the wheels are turned off center and the ratio increases as you steer more towards the end of their travel.

Ford also offered a "firm feel" rack that was a 20:1 ratio used with the performance suspension and or performance items such as the V8 engine, turbo 4, Cobra, and TRX package etc.

The late 83.5 -85 racks for the 5.0 are all the 15:1 ratio racks (also called 14.7:1 ratio) and these are constat ratio racks and are 2.46 turns lock to lock.

The 86 5.0 rack is essentially the same as above but the 86 GT had a larger turning circle than the previous models.

The 87-93 5.0 rack is essentially the same as above with the exception that it is 2.25 turns lock to lock.

The difference in lock to lock turns appears to be the factory racks fitted with travel restictors. The 87-93 appear to have 2 sets of the limiters installed to help prevent rubbing with the original 60 series tires that were fitted.

You should be able to install any of the racks listed above onto your Mustang. There are differences in the mounting hardware and the bushings, (79-84 & 84-93) but many of the replacment racks include both sets of bushings. You can also install performance poly rack bushings. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=463 I do not recommend installing the offset bushings in most stock street style cars. I also recommend the steering shaft from Maximum Motorsports as a great upgrade. It really helps to remove the slop from the stock rag joint. It will also help with header clearance, especially if you run long tubes. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=980

Since you have an 87 pump already, I would recommend getting a rack for an 87 V8 Mustang and you should be just fine. Unfortunately the feeling of the Mustang steering can vary greatly depending on pump, rack, tie rods, alignment, tires, etc. Many complain of too much boost and a numb feeling. Your experience may vary.

Hope that helps a bit.

Good Luck!

Trey
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-size-fit-all

FWIW, the MM hybrid shaft is about $240; look for the Weekend Deals - last week that shaft was on sale.

I've tried various methods to correct the steering feel with a stock 86 rack including larger power steering pulley, MM's solid shaft, spring mod, solid rack bushings, bump-steer kit. Frankly, short of a different pump (which may occur anyway), swapping to the sn95 rack is the best solution. The steering on my 01 Cobra is so much more precise and substantially less twitchy on center. I recommend the swap if you want the issue fixed rather than a band-aide solution.

I picked up a low mileage 04 Cobra rack and on the last MM Weekend Deal, the hybrid shaft.

Good info so far, thanks!

I bought a used rack off someone when my '87-93 LX 5.0 one developed a leak. I'm not 100% sure what it is. I believe it's an early '80s GT one. I think the car was down for other reasons when I replaced the rack, so I wasn't able to compare them one after the other. I'm not sure what my pump is either, actually. I bought a used under-drive kit (I'll be going back to stock pulleys soon) off someone that came with a pump. I just used that one, so I wouldn't have to do the stupid pump pulley operation. Might be a good time to think about a different pump too, I suppose.

Good to know about reman racks too. Sounds like that's not a good solution. And also I just recently replaced the rubber rack bushings, so I suppose I'd rather keep those for the time being.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I have a 79 Cobra 2.3T.
    Came with the TRW 20:1 v-ratio.
    After 2 TRW racks (oem and never was right from start replacement) changed everything out.
    Hard to find TRW now, so went with the more common and less expensive 15:1 performance Ford version.
    Took a lot of homework. Each store is sort of confusing on certain specs, apps, numbers, availability/stock.

Very little movement needed to change lanes. Quicker for sure than a 20:1, same wheel angle input.
    Faster steering response took some getting used to.
    Parking effort is the same as before. Nice to finally have rack limiters although slightly larger turning circle.
    A subdivision intersection u turn, without touching curbs, can still be done.
    Turning the wheel while sitting, turns total less than 2.5. More like 2.25. Rack limiters.

No more noise/moan/leaks/hiss whatsoever, hot or cold weather.
    Each model year specifies slightly different parts.
    No mods were needed to install anything.
    To be on the safe side went with 79 style tie rods. Fit fine.
    Real pleased with results. Better than new.
    OEM had the cold sticking syndrome (Ford recall) and moan.

The steering wheel wound up 180° off though. Exactly upside down.
    Fairly easy fix. Marked, pulled off, and re-indexed steering wheel.
    This was the first alternative, much less work than coupler redo, and is fine.

Master Pro PPS 71180 21-2194, ps pressure hose (O'Reilly);
    Master Pro PPS 71116, ps return hose (O'Reilly);
    McQuay-Norris M-3A130-A/ES2128, 2x outer tie rod ends (NPD);
    NPD F3A713-2, bulk hose 2' for ps return 3/8" id (NPD);
    Cardone Magna-Pure 20-0038F, ps filter (Advance Auto);
    Duralast 6439/22-207, Ford 15:1 rack and pinion sport (AutoZone);
    Duralast 6199, power steering pump (AutoZone);
    Type F fluid, mid brand nothing special. Flush and refill.
    Valvoline 633, Ford type moly grease for tie rod ends.
    Permatex anti seize was applied on tie rod threads, rack bolts, etc.
    Aligned toe real close well within spec with tape measure.
    There were paint marks on the rack threads to help on this.

All parts were bought before job was started. Formed a kit with specially selected parts.
    Did not special order anything. All parts were in stock and test fitted in store before purchase.
    All parts were in fresh packaging with o-rings, seals, bushings. instructions.
    No grease prints, dents, rips, or torn packaging accepted.
    Rack and hoses were real nice looking. Tie rods have grease fittings. No overseas sourced parts.
    Last edited by gr79; 03-27-2018 at 03:17 AM.

Thanks for all those details! How much did all that run you? That filter is an add-on piece, right? That would be nice to have as mine is constantly filthy even after flush and fill.

Out of curiosity, did SVOs have specific racks? Trey refers to 5.0 racks quite a bit, but not SVO. Maybe just a 15:1 with a specific turning radius?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Thanks for all those details! How much did all that run you? That filter is an add-on piece, right? That would be nice to have as mine is constantly filthy even after flush and fill.

Out of curiosity, did SVOs have specific racks? Trey refers to 5.0 racks quite a bit, but not SVO. Maybe just a 15:1 with a specific turning radius?
    My understanding is that the SVO rack was specific to the SVO with a 15:1 ratio, but special valving due to the unique SVO European flare. I will have to do some digging to verify that specifically, but that is what I recall.

As PaceFever79 pointed out the odds are the McParts store racks will be 15:1 ratio, but who know what actual valving the rack will come equipped with. Keep in mind that the racks have a mechanical ratio of either 15:1 or 20:1 and then you have a T valve that affects the amount of assist the rack sees and at what pressure. Many NASA & SCCA racers have played with different T valves to adjust the "feeling" of their racks to suit their preferences.

Although more expensive, you might seriously consider having either AGR or Flaming River build a custom rack for you as they can install different T valves to suit your desires. There have been some complaints about AGR over the years, but I am not sure if they have corrected some of their issues. This option may be cheaper than installing the SN95 unit and the hybrid shaft.

The "real" 03/04 Cobra unit is listed as many as the best "feeling" stock R&P which is due to the special valving Ford installed in the Rack. The 2000 Cobra R rack was another one that was highly sought after, but those are almost impossible to find today.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    My understanding is that the SVO rack was specific to the SVO with a 15:1 ratio, but special valving due to the unique SVO European flare. I will have to do some digging to verify that specifically, but that is what I recall.

As PaceFever79 pointed out the odds are the McParts store racks will be 15:1 ratio, but who know what actual valving the rack will come equipped with. Keep in mind that the racks have a mechanical ratio of either 15:1 or 20:1 and then you have a T valve that affects the amount of assist the rack sees and at what pressure. Many NASA & SCCA racers have played with different T valves to adjust the "feeling" of their racks to suit their preferences.

Although more expensive, you might seriously consider having either AGR or Flaming River build a custom rack for you as they can install different T valves to suit your desires. There have been some complaints about AGR over the years, but I am not sure if they have corrected some of their issues. This option may be cheaper than installing the SN95 unit and the hybrid shaft.

The "real" 03/04 Cobra unit is listed as many as the best "feeling" stock R&P which is due to the special valving Ford installed in the Rack. The 2000 Cobra R rack was another one that was highly sought after, but those are almost impossible to find today.

Good Luck!

Trey
    I kind of had to figure that was the case (SVOs had their own racks). Is that T-valve something a guy could replace himself?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Is that T-valve something a guy could replace himself?
    I am sure with the right tools and knowledge it could be done, but I honestly don't know what all is actually involved in making the changes.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yah i had a hard time keeping the car in the lane, especially when passed by a truck. Crazy loose.
    Worn inner tie rods. Pump and rack may have been mismatched or NG 20-6240 pump and 22-201T rack.
    But i waited until i was positive as to what combo of parts would work without issues.
    And only in-stock parts. Special orders are difficult to adjust if wrong and cannot check fit, have to wait, etc.
    I did bring the parts with me to be sure all fitting, etc were 100% correct before doing the job.
    Accuracy of the store computer varies and you will have to pick from multiple choices.
    Thus the homework. Many hours online. Several pages of notes.

Master Pro PPS 71180 21-2194 ps pressure hose; O'reilly's 24.37
    Master Pro PPS 71116 ps return hose; O'reallys 13.77 plus the store had a cool car show going on!
    NPD McQuay-Norris M-3A130-A/ES2128 premium tie rod ends; 29.90 for both NPD
    NPD F3A713-2 3/8" id ps return hose 2'; 4.50 cut 2.25/ft
    Cardone Magna-Pure 20-0038F ps return line filter; Advance Auto 18.44 (comes apart for cleaning)
    Duralast 6439/244806/22-207 Ford 15:1 rack and pinion sport; Autozone 74.99 core 18
    Duralast 6199 power steering pump; AutoZone 41.99 core 9

22-207 is stamped on the rack.

Total 207.96 net, add cores or taxes say 250.00 - 25.00 bonus from AZ
    AZ gave a 25.00 credit on my AZ reward card for buying the parts there.
    Was DIY so no money was spent on outside labor.

Replacing the whole shebang is the only way to go.
    Daily driver.
    Parts were selected for availability, durability/perceived quality, intended use/function, match, fair price, lifetime warranties.

My notes say SVO may use 2 racks and pumps:
    22-207 perf + 6199 pump (Ford)
    22-203 non perf + 20-6247 pump (TRW?) Seen F and T version part numbers of the 203.
    suffix F is Ford, T is TRW
    Plus the 6439, 64163 part numbers appeared.

I believe the 2.25 lock to lock rack is a 2.5 plus additional rack limiters.

93 Cobras had similar part number choices

Then there was the metric or SAE thread specs to deal with. Hoses, pump, rack.

Some Mustang 79-93 rack numbers found:
    22-203T
    22-203F
    22-201T
    22-202F
    22-202T
    22-207
    11-0111
    6412 Pinto
    6416 Pinto
    Many different pumps.

Then there is firm feel, plus all the other apps for Fairmont, LTD II, T-Bird, Lincoln, etc. Did not check those out.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-21-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Everything I have read and experienced first hand, is that remanufactured performance sport racks are probably NOT going feel as tight as the factory unit. This is probably because all of the slight performance engineering updates are thrown out the window or into a giant barrel of recycled rack parts then the cores are all rebuilt with the same replacement parts and valving. If you want to get the most authentic factory steering, you should find a used original rack in good condition and either rebuild it yourself or have it rebuilt by a shop. The difference, especially with the TRW / TRX sport suspension rack, is pretty startling. I'd imagine the same holds true for most of the Ford performance racks.

Found this useful list of remanufactured racks.

---------

2.3L Rack & Pinions

Cardone 22203A
    Reman.; Complete Unit; Power Steering; w/o Performance Suspension (Ford Gear) w/2 Piece Mounting Bushings
    Lifetime Limited Warranty
    Ships in 1 day
    Weight: 19.6 lbs.
    $74.94
    $37.00 core

Cardone 22203F
    Reman.; Complete Unit; Power Steering; w/o Performance Suspension (Ford Gear) w/1 Piece Mounting Bushing
    Ships in 1 day
    Weight: 20.8 lbs.
    $74.94
    $37.00 core

Cardone 22203T
    Reman.; Complete Unit; Power Steering; w/o Performance Suspension (TRW Gear)
    Ships in 1 day
    Weight: 24.1 lbs.
    $126.88
    $37.00 core

Cardone 22207
    Reman.; Complete Unit; Power Steering; w/Performance Suspension
    Ships in 1 day
    Weight: 19.7 lbs.
    $74.94
    $37.00 core

---------------------------------------
    5.0L Rack & Pinions

Cardone 22207
    Reman.; Complete Unit; Power Steering; w/Performance Suspension
    Ships in 1 day
    Weight: 19.7 lbs.
    $74.94
    $37.00 core

Cardone 22203T
    Reman.; Complete Unit; Power Steering; w/o Performance Suspension (TRW Gear)
    Ships in 1 day
    Weight: 24.1 lbs.
    $126.88
    $37.00 core

Cardone 22203F
    Reman.; Complete Unit; Power Steering; w/o Performance Suspension (Ford Gear) w/1 Piece Mounting Bushing
    Ships in 1 day
    Weight: 20.8 lbs.
    $74.94
    $37.00 core

Cardone 22203A
    Reman.; Complete Unit; Power Steering; w/o Performance Suspension (Ford Gear) w/2 Piece Mounting Bushings
    Ships in 1 day
    Weight: 19.6 lbs.
    $74.94
    $37.00 core
    ================================================== ========

NAPA

2.3L Rack & Pinion

NAPA Rack and Pinion Rack & Pinion Complete - Power
    Usually ships in 24 hours. NRP
    22203F $ 87.99
    Core 33.33
    w/o Performance Suspension, w/ Ford Gear, w/ 1 Piece Mounting Bushing

22203A $ 91.99
    Core 33.33
    w/o Performance Suspension, w/ Ford Gear, w/ 2 Piece Mounting Bushing

22203T $ 91.99
    Core 33.33
    w/o Performance Suspension, w/ TRW Gear

22207 $ 87.99
    Core 33.33
    w/ Performance Suspension

------------------------------------------------------

5.0L Rack & Pinion[

22203F $ 87.99
    Core 33.33
    w/o Performance Suspension, w/ Ford Gear, w/ 1 Piece Mounting Bushing

22203A $ 91.99
    Core 33.33
    w/o Performance Suspension, w/ Ford Gear, w/ 2 Piece Mounting Bushing

22203T $ 91.99
    Core 33.33
    w/o Performance Suspension, w/ TRW Gear

22207 $ 87.99
    Core 33.33
    w/ Performance Suspension

^ Those prices are from 2011 so they may be higher now.

I was thinking, 6" of free play off center is more than even a standard TRW rack should have. I'd get a helper to slowly move the steering wheel back and forth within that free-play travel while you inspect the whole system for signs of slop or worn parts. Start with the shaft coming out of the firewall, and follow it all the way to each tie rod end. I'm guessing you will find slop in other parts rather than the rack itself.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    I was thinking, 6" of free play off center is more than even a standard TRW rack should have. I'd get a helper to slowly move the steering wheel back and forth within that free-play travel while you inspect the whole system for signs of slop or worn parts. Start with the shaft coming out of the firewall, and follow it all the way to each tie rod end. I'm guessing you will find slop in other parts rather than the rack itself.
    Haha, well that WAS a bit of an exaggeration. I know the tie rods and ends are all good. The rack bushings are new rubber.

You guys snuck those replies in while I was typing mine.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Seems the consensus is the 22207 is the way to go for a reman. I'm not against rebuilding one myself though. I wanted a used one because i didn't want to take the time. Guess I would've been better off.

Interesting that V8 cars could be had with and without handling suspension. I wonder which one the '90 LX 5.0 rack I had in the car before was.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Usually, rebuilding a used rack that's in good mechanical condition just means: disassemble, clean, replace O rings and seals, reassemble to spec. They leak more than they get worn out.

A wild and crazy thought but if you want to have a "special" feel to your steering, how about something like: http://www.heidts.com/part/adjustabl...-valve-ps-101/ ??

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    A wild and crazy thought but if you want to have a "special" feel to your steering, how about something like: http://www.heidts.com/part/adjustabl...-valve-ps-101/ ??

Mike
    Well, I wouldn't go that far. I just want it to not be so sloppy on center. Kind of a cool little product though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I still think you have something worn out in the steering system. Perhaps a rag joint or universal joint or rack bushings. Or the rack itself. I know you replaced the rack bushings, but did you use the TRW specific bushings? They are different than the Ford rack bushings. Something has to be causing that free play on center. My TRW rack is not sloppy on center, if anything it is overly assisted and twitchy on center when driving in a straight line on the highway. Very subtle movements are required to make lane changes. I often drive the car with two fingers. Something doesn't seem right.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast