Close

Default Found on internet

conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Ewww... black & gold. Talk about UUUhhhg-ly!

For reals though, they sure look good with the bubble butt. I like the gold stripe on the hood too.

You mean yummm!

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    JPS used to have two in there garage too. The IRS made up for the fact that the Bemmer couldn't out do a worked 4-bbl 302 in a Group 2 race.

The Mustang had a superb race history in the antipods
    http://www.nzmustang.com/Images/Hist...s/pinepac1.htm

Ford used the 1973 Lotus Europa Sprint JPS colors in lots of cars

For sucess, it all depended on if it had #1158's 1980-1982 T bird wheels on 220/55/390 tires on not. The later Crimson Cat T bird wheels look pretty good even with 190/65 390's.

The 190/65 390's on #1154's look kind gumbi sometimes.

The "1158" Capri Crimson Cat/80-82 T-bird/XR7 rims are the same size as the "1154" Capri/ Mustang TRX's and later "1309" 83-87 Tbird/Cougar rims, all were 390 150TR (15.354 X 5.90")

But wait, JPS copied Lincoln Mercury division,

and then Lotus, de Tomaso, Ford and John Player Special continued about it for the next 11 years.

JPS Pantera and Lotus Esprit.

IIRC, for Foxes, the 1979 Capri RS acutually perpetuated the gold and Black, and kept it right on up till

Ford did it a little later.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post

For reals though, they sure look good with the bubble butt. I like the gold stripe on the hood too.
    You know I'm really digging the look. Too bad TRX's are such an oddball size.

Personally, I think this is a nice look:

As for the mentioned Lotus Esprit..... FUN little car to drive.
    Last edited by conmech; 11-14-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I studied this at length. Don't get me wrong in this...I love the dished early TRX three spokers. In any form, even Gold.

Being objective, though.

When you cover the poverty pack Fox four stud lug nuts, and play visual games with the dish, use the other years 230 and 240 section sizes, you can then paint them gold and make them stunning.

The problem with the three spokers (#1154 and the similar slotted 1983-1985 tbird#1309) was that the emerging F car Chevrolet trends that begat the Knight Rider TransAm and so called 84 Corvette made the #1158 wheel far a more modern, better choice. From the "Count them, there are only Four" lug hole caps, to the emerging changes with the later Turbine type style, which the 1158 previewed. BMW then set the lead with the last fat as 16 Daimond TRX wheels with the fat and wide 415 mm TRX GT's...the last hurah before the expensive as TRX package was ditched for good commercially.

Actually, it was the Mexicans who first broke ranks, and the non TRX Imperial 1158 design is probably one of the best modern updates. They don't clash with the remaining form like the three spokers were starting to. Mount an Areo 83 Thunderid on 1158's, and it'll look radical. Borbets, a BBS style wheel, were even better.

The world was moving to the 928S/ SVO/ Saleen Quattro /LSC BBS /Australian LTD type design, where tumble home was out. Thats why people like even the 16 slot F150 wheels.

Tumble home (the dish or curve from hub to the wheel rim spoke interface) was old hat, it makes the car look like an HE model XJ-S or XJ-12 5.3.

The talented young engineer who did the 1980 Thundebird/ Cougar XR7 (Saito) designed the rims for the purpose of wideing the stance. Those rims were IMHO Fords smartest EVER design, and on a Crimson Cat with 220/55 390 tires, it looks almost as modern and European as good as the SVO rims.

Where Ford went mildly wrong was that the gold color makes the three spoker look softer and even more refined, not stancy and aggressive. The 230/55 390 Ferrari 308 GTS/GTB tires. or even better, the 240/55 390 tires from the Ferrari Mondial 8 would have made the Black Magic quite cool. The issue is that the 1158's were common Fairmont TRX options, and if they painted them gold then they would eclpise the Crimson Cat for lookes.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post

The "Bubble Butt" was Ford's attempt to more Europeanize the Capri (Porsche 944like bubble). The original Capri was of European descent so keeping that identity was meant to differentiate it from the Mustang. Not sure they actually achieved this and the Bubble Back was polarizing, although being a Porsche fan, I really like it.
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

AND, from what I've heard, it is more aerodynamic with the bubble.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsccat View Post
    The "Bubble Butt" was Ford's attempt to more Europeanize the Capri (Porsche 944like bubble). The original Capri was of European descent so keeping that identity was meant to differentiate it from the Mustang. Not sure they actually achieved this and the Bubble Back was polarizing, although being a Porsche fan, I really like it.

If I'm not mistaken, the original Capri, although built in Germany, was designed by an American for the European market. I think it's interesting in a "full circle" kind of way... If that makes any sense.

Someday I'd love to get myself a mk1 Capri. There was a yellow and black Ghia bombing around town all summer that drove me nuts. Found the car on youtube and it turns out it's running a 302. Cool stuff. I wouldn't turn my nose up at one of those JPS mk2's either though. Black Magics Grandpa.

I also love the bubble butts. I think I like them the best out of all fox bodies.

I get what you guys are saying about wheels and I love Conmechs mock up, but I just love seeing an early fox with trx wheels and tires. There are certain cars that look so classic and just right with original wheels and tires that you can just throw words like stance or width out the window. Especially when the car had special specific wheels. I mean c'mon the profile and tread of a 220 trx tire.. God damn I love it. It's what I lusted after when I was younger. How can anyone not love it?!

Then again if I had a 65/66 Mustang I'd be running original hubcaps. My tastes are probably unpopular lol.

very nice
    1985 GT with T-tops
    1989 GT vert
    1966 coupe
    1978 KZ1000 LTD
    2007 GMC Z 71
    1986 KX250