Close

Smile Hey guys, new member Caliconcentr8 here.

My first mustang (86 Gt convertible 5speed) was purchased 3 days ago from the Long Beach HiPo Swapmeet and i've already started the restoration process. Car was in need of a top so I dropped it off Monday at the upholstery shop and should be ready today!

Car is in great shape and runs strong, but does need some tuning. It runs rough past 3,000 rpm.... Can some one help me out?Name:  86Gt.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  185.2 KBName:  underhood.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  116.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Caliconcentr8; 11-11-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Welcome to FEP. More DETAILED pictures are a requirement of your new toy. You have entered into a world of enthusiasts that know ALOT about four eyed Mustangs AND can help you spend your money. Both are a great thing.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Welcome and hello to a fellow 'vert owner! Looks good!

If by rough you mean real rough, bucking and such, the fuel filter might need replacing...

Mike
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Welcome and hello to a fellow 'vert owner! Looks good!

If by rough you mean real rough, bucking and such, the fuel filter might need replacing...

Mike
    thanks, i had not thought of that. I also had the 02 sensor in mind. what do you thinkl?

Quote Originally Posted by Caliconcentr8 View Post
    thanks, i had not thought of that. I also had the 02 sensor in mind. what do you thinkl?
    Not sure. I've dealt with the filter (back underneath, near the tank) issue first hand, until whatever goo in the tank was plugging a half dozen changed filters (which I was also doing because I got no computer codes out of the car, and each filter I took off there was some resistance to blowing through them) in my '86 5.0L T-Bird, finally stopped plugging them. It would roughen up through RPM as you're saying, and would buck and kick if you dropped the hammer.
    As well, the filter's definitely much cheaper than the two oxygen sensors (I'd check for codes if you suspect them) to try.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Welcome to FEP

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    Welcome to FEP
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Not sure. I've dealt with the filter (back underneath, near the tank) issue first hand, until whatever goo in the tank was plugging a half dozen changed filters (which I was also doing because I got no computer codes out of the car, and each filter I took off there was some resistance to blowing through them) in my '86 5.0L T-Bird, finally stopped plugging them. It would roughen up through RPM as you're saying, and would buck and kick if you dropped the hammer.
    As well, the filter's definitely much cheaper than the two oxygen sensors (I'd check for codes if you suspect them) to try.
    Thanks for the advice. I started with the filter, but it was not clogged. It was the fuel pump.But now I can drop the hammer!!!.Name:  20151121_164143.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  125.8 KBName:  20151121_164151.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  105.1 KBName:  20151121_164156.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  119.1 KB
    Last edited by Caliconcentr8; 11-23-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Pics in order
    The old fuel pump, it was the original
    The new fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by Caliconcentr8 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I started with the filter, but it was not clogged. It was the fuel pump.Name:  20151121_164143.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  125.8 KBName:  20151121_164151.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  105.1 KBName:  20151121_164156.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  119.1 KB
    * EDIT - just saw your hammer dropping edit. Great! *

You're welcome. Good, I hope that works good for you. Bonus points for doing it yourself!

Although, and I don't mean to burst any bubbles, but I just want to say that I learned a long time ago (and thereafter dealt with my T-Bird and it's number of filters being the issue before it behaved itself) that the fuel filters for EFI don't have to be clogged per say to be a problem, they only have to be mildly noticeably restrictive to blowing through them to cause problems. That's what I meant by "some resistance" above.

Good luck with it!
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 11-23-2015 at 11:05 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Welcome. I've had a vert for 16 years. Have loved every minute of it. Let's see some more pics!
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird