Close

Default Roaring rear end

We took the '86 out for the first time last night. The axles were raising hell. Took them out hoping it was just the passenger side but both sides had wear grooves in the journals. Typical? Car has only 57K miles but it sat A LOT for the last 5 years.

FEP Senior Member

nope, it is not typical. but can happen. 30 years old, maybe some rust got in there. if all looks good and is only grooves where the axle bearing is. you can order an bearing that rides on axle in a different spot.

The bearings bob85gt is talking about are called axle savers. The only last about 15000 miles because of where the load is with the new bearing. Take my word for it if your keeping the car get new axles and bearings. Once seated in the axle savers can not be removed using a standard puller. I made the mistake of using axle savers and I still ended up buying new axles and bearings. The real difference comes in the fact that axle savers don't last long and turn a 3 hour axle and bearing change into 3 solid days of cutting just to remove the axle savers.