Close

Default 1983 Nissan Pulsar Help

I just had three issues develop at once and I got them fixed but now I can't get the car to run right. The issues I had were a leak in the radiator (installed new radiator), a leak in the carburetor (had it rebuilt by a professional), and a vacuum leak (found and stopped leak).

Now in trying to start it and get it running and it will start fine but it will rev to around 3K and stay there, or if I back off the idle speed screw it will turn on fine and run for a second or two and then die. I don't know how the carb guy set the air/fuel mixture screw and I've never messed with it because it was factory sealed. Since the rebuild the guy removed the seal and cleaned everything out, but I don't know if he set it or just screwed it back in to an arbitrary point? My timing is off but I can't adjust it because the idle is so messed up or it will just die.

Lastly, the carb guy put a new spring on the secondary side that controls the throttle valve switch, but I don't understand how that is supposed to work. It's basically a contact driven tps (I think), but the switch is engaged with any amount of throttle. At idle it's not on but as soon as I give it any gas that switch is clicked. Here is that switch:

Should this come on with any little bit of throttle or only at wot? Could this coming on so easily be causing my high idle?

What other info do you need? I had it running fine before but I didn't have an accelerator pump that worked, this throttle valve switch didn't work and I had a vacuum leak so all my previous settings are now way off because all that is working. Plus the carb was rebuilt and I'm sure my settings were messed with when he put the carb back together.

Where do I start? I'm gonna call the carb guy to see exactly what he did but if you all have ideas that would be great.

It's a 1.6L 1597cc engine with a stick shift 5-speed and a 2bbl Hitachi carb
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Update, the carb guy said he only removed the plug on the air/fuel screw, he said he didn't adjust it from the factory setting. He said I shouldn't have to mess with it.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Bump.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Blog Entries

Kind of sounds like a massive vacuum leak, but I'm sure you checked that.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

You know it does have a mixture heater that the carb bolts to. I noticed a small bump on that heater that looked like it wasn't supposed to be there (like excessive heat caused it) and I was wondering how the carb would bolt flat on top of that? I don't need that heater and while it looks like it's removable I couldn't get it off. I'll spray the base with carb cleaner and see if I find a leak.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I checked everywhere else and that's the only thing I can find that's out of the ordinary (cause it ran fine before the rebuild)...well fine enough, better than it does now with the carb not leaking and a working tps and accelerator pump.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Bump.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I don't know anything about these cars, but I suggest you go to www.japanesenostalgiccar.com. The people there are guru's when it comes to the old Japanese stuff.
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L
    1965 Fastback project car - more rusty than not

Thanks for that link. I registered...hopefully someone can help. I love that little car and I need it to get to work, so I have to get it sorted.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

It turns out that the guy that rebuilt my carb made a couple mistakes. The accelerator pump wasn't working, the float was set too high, and the secondary throttle blade was cracked pretty far open at idle. Those last two things are what caused my issue. Problem solved, now she's purring like a kitten!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Blog Entries

Excellent! I was going to suggest swapping to a 750cfm mechanical secondary Quickfuel, but glad your carb worked out. Just think of the power you are leaving on the table -- lol
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I wanted to put a high-rise manifold and a couple Holley 850 double pumpers on there, but I think it will ruin my gas mileage, so I'm sticking with the stock hitachi 2bbl. Lol

(I don't know if Holley even makes 850 dp's I was just joking so I went with it).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Now she runs and idles fine but if I lightly press the gas she dies? If I give it a lot of gas she will fight through the low rpm issue and rev up, but light touch on the gas and she dies? Any thoughs?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Sounds like an accelerator pump issue. Is there a way to adjust it?
    I feel for you. I had a couple 82 corollas in the 1990's. 1 ran great with a carb rebuilt by the PO.. The other needed a carb rebuild. I rebuilt it 3 times and never got it to run correctly. Asian carbs are really picky and seem to be hard to rebuild correctly

Not sure if Pulsar is in there, but Nico does have a few FSMs....

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/use...-database.html
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

Thanks for the link. I ended up getting my problem resolved the second I bought a reman'd carb off of eBay. I put that on and it fired right up and has been getting me to work ever since. The guy that rebuilt my carb screwed something up and even after I brought the whole car to him for a week he couldn't get it right. I ordered the carb from eBay, put it on and turned the key, and all is well. Now I'm trying to get my money back for the rebuild, which I think is only fair considering the original carb is still messed up and I had to spend an extra $350 to get her running right.

Hopefully he understands and refunds the money. He actually made me send him a video of the car running right with the new carb (even though he made several mistakes and gave her back to me with problems...oh well.)

Thanks guys!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd