Close

Default gt-350 convertible door closing spring

Hello All, new here to the forum and new to the gt-350 anniversary mustang. I will post mine in the registry as soon as it gets back from the shop (new convertible roof) so I can get the tags photographed.

The doors.

The passenger side door closes fine, perfectly in line with where it should be but when you push on it the door can still travel a 1/2 inch or maybe a little less. It thumps around a bit on rough roads. Is the little black plunger thing supposed to hold it hard at the stop or is something else wrong? I tried pushing the latch part around and everything appears tight. I know this isn't specific to the gt-350 but I thought one of you would know...

This car is bone stock and in nearly mint condition with 79k on it.

Welcome to FEP. First question, does your door striker on the jamb have the nylon bushing? If it's missing, there's the cause of your problem. Also, fresh door weatherstripping will help as well tighten it up. The black plunger thing is for the seat belts to retract when the door is opened.
    Gary-
    1986 Mustang GT T-top, black, 5 speed
    57 Fairlane 500, 46 Ford P/U, 07 F150 SCrew

I bet that is it. I don't remember seeing a bushing and when I was comparing both sides I didn't pay any attention to that. Well, that is simple and easy (I hope). The weather stripping is getting a bit old so that would be an easy addition as well.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    I bet that is it. I don't remember seeing a bushing and when I was comparing both sides I didn't pay any attention to that. Well, that is simple and easy (I hope). The weather stripping is getting a bit old so that would be an easy addition as well.

Thanks!
    No bushing on either door. Is this a real thing for a 1984? somebody want to post a picture of what the post is supposed to look like?

Can you post up picks of them? IIRC, the older versions didn't have the separate bushings - at least on other Ford products.

Name:  517379_Door_Striker_Bolts_5038445_1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  53.0 KB

It's the grey plastic cylindrical part.

You can put a piece of heater hose on it in the meantime, while you research your best course of action.

I've heard of people cutting the new bushings to put them on their existing striker post, but I don't like that idea. The best way to do this method is a spiral cut around the new bushing.

I did one on my last car, but I just changed out the whole striker assembly.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I found the bushing at CJ for 3 dollars so I think I will go with that and just cut it like everyone else. Hate to realign the doors or lose the original look. for 6 bucks I can give it a shot. If it doesn't work I can get the whole new striker I guess. Glad I pursued this, seems like it can do some damage if left without the bushing...

just to close this, the bushings fixed everything...

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    just to close this, the bushings fixed everything...
    Did you have to cut them?
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

i did. however, after they fall apart I am going to try and use some heat, magic, and a hammer. Once I cut them I realized how pliable that plastic was. I bet with some heat and mineral oil I could slip them over the end flange.

Just for future reference, you can pick up the bushings in the Help! section of your local auto parts store. I cut mine to install, then used a little super glue on the seam. They are still holding up.
    Gary-
    1986 Mustang GT T-top, black, 5 speed
    57 Fairlane 500, 46 Ford P/U, 07 F150 SCrew

I heated mine and was able to slip them over the flange. It took some work to get them back into shape but I was able to do so.
    Have:
    84 GT 350 Anny 5.0
    05 F-150 Super Crew
    08 Saturn Outlook
    Had:
    00 Nissan Frontier
    97 Gand Prix GTP (Supercharged)
    87 Audi Coupe GT
    84 Mustang L 3.8