Close

Default 4cyl EFI to V8 Carb?

Hey guys I got a '89 4cylinder couoe and looking at picking up a 85 5.0 H.O Motor, and was wondering if anyone here(though we are 4 eye forums) has done this or knows what has to happen? Any help greatly appreciated!

Really, you could just pick up any '87-'95 HO engine, ('86s are flat tops) and slap on an aftermarket carb and intake, and be as good or better than an '85 engine. Or better yet if you can change a cam and valve springs, get an Explorer motor (probably easier to find) and a good carb and intake, and you'll be able to smoke pretty much all stock Older Mustangs.

Are you wanting to go with a carb? With an '89, I'd be trying to go EFI. Was the '89 EFI? Little more work to make an EFI fuel system work with a carb, but you have the benefits of a return line.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Where I am everyone wants an arm and a leg for 5.0's but I found a 85 GT motor and all running gear in an 83-5 Cougar which is rotted out. So as long as I can get my gauges working thats all I really need lol... And 89 was Throttle Body fuel injection

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie63 View Post
    And 89 was Throttle Body fuel injection
    The 2.3?

With no emissions testing you will be fine. With just a sniffer, you might well be able to make it pass. With a visual inspection, you're screwed/failed.

But these cars are old enough that you're probably OK. Getting the V8 in there and running is probably good for now. If you do it right, you can always plug & play the EFI later. You never know when they'll force emissions testing on you, or if a future owner will want to go EFI...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

No such thing as emissions test in Canada fortunately. Also not concerned about future owners as I'm likely the final one lol, and I couldn't care for EFI. Like I said long as the motor runs and I have the battery, oil,temp, gas, speedo and RPM working I'm laughing so to speak. Thanks