Close

FEP Senior Member

Default LTD/Marquise dash in Fmont

Who has put a ltd dash in a fmont? I need some guidance on this and have several questions.
    Thanks,
    jim
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Have you made any progress on this?
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Senior Member

It's your car, but why would you want to put an LTD/Marquis dash (assuming he meant gauge cluster back in 2015) into a Fairmont? Don't the Fairmonts have a dash similar to a Mustang with real actual gauges? All you get in an LTD is fuel level and speedo. Oh and what gear you are in. I hate the lack of gauges in my LTD cluster.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Gauges were optional, and rare, in Fairmonts. Mustang cluster fits, see my build below, wiring changes are simple and avail on this site.

Mike

I know.... get a wrecked LTD and swap the nose and dash/interior into a Fairmont and then see if anyone can tell the difference.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

My Zephyr came with the mustang gauge cluster and I like it, but I've never really liked anything else about the dash. I like the 83-88 Tbird/Cougar dash/console as well as they just seem to be a little more cohesive than the F/Z/Mustang/Capri dash and console. The LTD Dash with a console also looks great IMO. The lack of gauges does suck though. It looks like the LTD & Tbird/Cougars had hard plastic dash pads which wont crack like ours do too.

It's still all just a bunch of plastic, but It seems like Ford actually took some time to design the dash and console together as one piece. I've always kicked the idea around of putting in another 80's factory dash, but I don't like the Aero mustang dash at all. Was curious how this swap went (if it went at all)
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

The 83-86 LTD/marquis dash is the same as the 80-82 TBirds/XR-7's, not that those came with any better gauge options either.

I imagine the dash would fit just fine, and you could always do custom gauges. Depends on how much work you want to do.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryzephyrz7 View Post
    My Zephyr came with the mustang gauge cluster and I like it, but I've never really liked anything else about the dash. I like the 83-88 Tbird/Cougar dash/console as well as they just seem to be a little more cohesive than the F/Z/Mustang/Capri dash and console. The LTD Dash with a console also looks great IMO. The lack of gauges does suck though. It looks like the LTD & Tbird/Cougars had hard plastic dash pads which wont crack like ours do too.

It's still all just a bunch of plastic, but It seems like Ford actually took some time to design the dash and console together as one piece. I've always kicked the idea around of putting in another 80's factory dash, but I don't like the Aero mustang dash at all. Was curious how this swap went (if it went at all)
    The 87-88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe and Cougar XR-7 could be had with a full gauge layout and might be the look you are going for, but it might seem out of place in your car. You would probably be looking at swapping the entire dash. ZephyrEFI swapped a later aero Mustang dash into his car though and it looks pretty good, but he made some other changes to make it all flow together with his interior.

I understand what you mean about the earlier Mustang/Fairmont instrument cluster and dash. Not my favorite either. You could maybe update it to a non woodgrain cluster surround which I think would improve the looks. I don't pretend to know how involved of a change that is.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Looks like 86 had full guages also on turbo coupe.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...illinois-62088
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Looks like 86 had full guages also on turbo coupe.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...illinois-62088
    The Tbird dash changed in '85.
    Personally I'm not a fan.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    The 87-88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe and Cougar XR-7 could be had with a full gauge layout and might be the look you are going for, but it might seem out of place in your car. You would probably be looking at swapping the entire dash. ZephyrEFI swapped a later aero Mustang dash into his car though and it looks pretty good, but he made some other changes to make it all flow together with his interior.

I understand what you mean about the earlier Mustang/Fairmont instrument cluster and dash. Not my favorite either. You could maybe update it to a non woodgrain cluster surround which I think would improve the looks. I don't pretend to know how involved of a change that is.
    Yes I was thinking a whole dash swap if I ever came across a nice example in a junkyard. I believe some of the V8 Tbirds/Cougars could be had with a full cluster as well as the Turbocoupes. They just seem slightly more modern while still holding that 80's look and feel. I've always been curious about LTD or Tbird dash swaps because most people do the Aero dash or SN95 Dash swaps but nobody seems to do anything with other fox dashes.
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

If you swap dashes, i would be interested in your old dash.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Senior Member

I know the full gauge cluster was available on the Turbo Coupe and the XR-7. I don't know if it was available with anything else. Most/all of the cars I see that are not the aforementioned TC/XR-7 have the digital cluster.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire