Close

Default Suggestions for top end?

I have my 83 convertible 5.0 that is strictly a cruising car. I am wanting to add some more horsepower without going overboard. I have looked at the eldelbrock E street aluminum topend kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2027 and have read some mixed reviews. I see the rpm range is up to 5500 rpm, I don't see this as being an issue as I do not dog the car.. I will leave the bottom end stock.. I am also considering doing the GT40P heads again, but want to get some opinions/ suggestions as to what you guys think?

P heads. They're cheap and a huge upgrade over stock.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

That's a low price! I spent twice that on my AFM to end kit (but I upgraded a few things).

It would be nice to have all new and matched stuff instead of just another mustang with explorer parts IMO.
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    P heads. They're cheap and a huge upgrade over stock.
    The only hesitation I have with going P heads again was the last time I bought p heads, installed them and had issues w passenger side. pulled the head off and one had a very small hairline crack that only showed when the head was pressure tested. so then I had to go and find another head to replace it and pay to have pressure testing. I guess if I could find them at a machine shop that has pressure tested them prior to me purchasing so I don't have this issue again. Also what is a good flat tappet cam to run with the p heads?

Quote Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
    That's a low price! I spent twice that on my AFM to end kit (but I upgraded a few things).

It would be nice to have all new and matched stuff instead of just another mustang with explorer parts IMO.
    that's what I was thinking... seemed like a great price for a set of entry level aluminum heads and all the other goodies with it.

I bought a whole 90k mile Mountaineer engine for $410. Ebayed the intake and fuel injection crap for $255, swapped in a stock HO cam and swapped over all the Mustang's external parts and changed the distributor for an 85 unit. Should have changed the valve springs. If you could find a whole low mileage engine it's the way to go as you get a roller cam too.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

GT 40P heads in my engine made a huge difference and I'm happy I installed them.
    Horse Power is how fast you get to the wall,
    Torque
    is how far you get through the wall.

1979 Mustang HB 302 4sp

I'm very happy with my GT-40P head combo in my '85 convertible. See my signature for the rest of the top end parts I installed.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 854vragtop View Post
    I'm very happy with my GT-40P head combo in my '85 convertible. See my signature for the rest of the top end parts I installed.
    How does that cam sound? What exhaust are you running?

I think Edelbrock is the only game in town if you want heads, a cam, and a carb'd manifold, which are from the same manufacturer, and probably matched. Any decent aftermarket heads with a decent aftermarket intake should really kick it in the pants. You need to watch out for cheap hardware on some of the aftermarket stuff, from what I've read. I went with GT40Ps mostly out of cheapness, but take comfort in the knowledge that I have all genuine Ford quality OEM parts in them - except for the springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I bought a whole 90k mile Mountaineer engine for $410. Ebayed the intake and fuel injection crap for $255, swapped in a stock HO cam and swapped over all the Mustang's external parts and changed the distributor for an 85 unit. Should have changed the valve springs. If you could find a whole low mileage engine it's the way to go as you get a roller cam too.
    You can still change them pretty easily, you just need a spark plug hole fitting for a compressor. At least you don't have to mess with the cumbersome EFI upper intake assembly. Just remove your dual snorkel air filter, valve covers, and plugs, and wrap it up in an afternoon.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    I think Edelbrock is the only game in town if you want heads, a cam, and a carb'd manifold, which are from the same manufacturer, and probably matched. Any decent aftermarket heads with a decent aftermarket intake should really kick it in the pants. You need to watch out for cheap hardware on some of the aftermarket stuff, from what I've read. I went with GT40Ps mostly out of cheapness, but take comfort in the knowledge that I have all genuine Ford quality OEM parts in them - except for the springs.

You can still change them pretty easily, you just need a spark plug hole fitting for a compressor. At least you don't have to mess with the cumbersome EFI upper intake assembly. Just remove your dual snorkel air filter, valve covers, and plugs, and wrap it up in an afternoon.

It's on my list to do before the car is back on the road, probably along with a cam swap. At the time I didn't realize the factory springs were so weak.

This should be just about right. A little boost in HP.

Name:  blowerpics003.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  134.1 KB

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    This should be just about right. A little boost in HP.

Name:  blowerpics003.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  134.1 KB

Jess
    Haha yes that ought to work