Close

Default 347 stroker build. Steer me the right way

I blew a cam in my built up 306 which in turn put metal all through my motor and destroyed some bearings. I'm looking at the CHP street fighter 347 short block with -14.2cc reverse dome pistons. Plan is for a street car that will be ready for boost when the time is right but not immediately. I am mainly looking for a list of all the parts from my previous motor that I can reuse because well its all money. Timing cover oil pan Msd ignition exhaust headers (hooker super comp) performer rpm intake 650 QFT CARB!? Looking at AFR 185cc heads and I'm not sure of a camshaft either. I think a safe 9.0-9.5:1 compression will do me well. On the motor alone ide be upset if it was less than 340 rwhp. So is the RPM intake and 650 carb up for the task? Some cam suggestions somewhere in the neighborhood of .570 lift will be appreciated. I do plan on porting the intake and heads but we will see about all that. I know its a lot of questions and information but I'm very excited to start this build. Does it appear I am going in the right direction?

Here is a good build for a 347 using the cam lift you requested.
    http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...195-head-swap/

I used the same cam and heads on my 408w following this build and love it!
    http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...ouble-trouble/
    Scott
    Picayune,MS 39466
    Torch Red 2004 Mach 1 Mustang
    Silver 85 GT
    Previous set up...
    306, Lunati flat tappet, Eddy Performer Heads, RPM intake, Holley 650DP, Shorty Headers, Flowmasters, 3.73, T5. 12.92 @109

Current set up,,,
    408w, Internally balanced Scat rotating assy, Comp Hyd roller, Brodix heads, eddy air gap RPM intake, PowerjectionIII EFI, Longtube 1-3/4 headers, Flowmasters, 3.55 Cobra 31 spline diff w/Moser axles, TKO 600 5spd, Mcleod dual disc street clutch... ET... Traction Limited 11.93 @120mph

That cam looks perfect but just one question is that it was designed for EFI but in the test they used a holley four barrel. So I am just going to assume that it does not matter all too much?

It appears both builds used a carb on an "extreme fuel injection" cam. Im not scared to use it with my lil 650 then

They run what they are paid to run and they make the results positive for the donating party.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Ha-ha...so true ethyl cat. With your parts you want to reuse and the 185 heads with an appropriate Cam you will make about 400 flywheel hp with some really good midrange tq. You need to decide if you want to build it for boost or n/ a since the builds and parts used will be very different.
    PowerHouse Machine -Racing engines & cylinder heads
    508-328-9884
    1981 Mercury Capri 306" N/A 10.6 @ 126
    1985 Mustang GT 351w
    1988 turbo coupe
    www.powerhouseperformancemachine.com

How much boost are you wanting to run Greeno42?

Also where did you come up with your .571" lift?
    Last edited by Ethyl Cat; 09-29-2015 at 06:10 PM.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

.570 lift range came from the heads I planned on buying. The valve springs are rated for .600 so to not push the limits a .570 seemed appropriate. Once the motor got built and the time came for boost I would only consider 7 psi or so to keep me on a safe range on the block. Anything over 550 flywheel hp would make me feel uncomfortable. I don't think I want/need a dart block.

You can make that kind of power N.A. and yes the parts will be different for both type of builds. I would also recomend using 7/16" rockers and studs with a girdle. If using a stock block I wouldn't bother with the blower and stroker kit together. It would be like a hand grenade. Only you won't be able to pull the pin. It will pull it for you!
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

I had Woody at Fordstrokers build my 347.....7 years ago, main bearing stud girdle, stock block, lots of 1/4 passes and street use. vic jr, 750cfm, TFS 195, cam by Woody, 1 3/4 BBK..........great motor.....445 rwhp amd 440 tq

Listen to 306gt, with boost the block will split in half and cost colateral damage. Invest in a dart of Boss block with 4 bolt mains and thicker castings

With what your planning you will have a blast on the street

Ok thanks for the input I just hope I won't get bored after a season or two with it that's why I wanted to be boost ready but I see your point!
    http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=21_22 These are the heads I want.

http://www.coasthigh.com/mobile/prod...f-f347-sb.htm=
    ^ That is the short block I want to get as well. I know someone has to have a combination similar to it. Maybe 340whp was being to conservative.

You cant go wrong with AFRs...great heads!! shortblock is good too, instead of boost, just put a 50, 75 or 100 shot of NOS and off you go........even still a 347 set up right will be a blast and embarrass many on the road.