Close

Default '82 GT trouble-Once bitten, twice shy

Took my '82, which has been working fine up to this point, out for a drive and it now has a distinct hesitation during acceleration, around 1500 rpm. Aborted mission and returned to base. Can't duplicate the stumble except when in motion. Revs smoothly and idles perfectly sitting still.
    Some time back I was derisively referring to it as the "trailer queen" because I had to go fetch it home three times. Thought we had that issue fixed. It has its original carb and aftermarket catalytic converters. Maybe catalytic insides moving around?
    Now I am once again not in a hurry to drive it further than I may want to walk home.
    On a good note, I got Susie's '82 running with the new electric choke(Holley 4160) installed and working. Turned it around so I can get to the radiator support to pull it back where it belongs. The hot stapler worked wonders, however the inside of the urethane looks, at this point, like something out of Frankenstien's laboratory. The two-part adhesive is still on backorder from Eastwood's, so that part of the repair is on hold.
    Decided to replace both front fenders and they are on their way.
    Sometimes I wonder if any project ever really gets finished.

Might as well start small maybe your fuel filter is starting to plug up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be. I've been reading my badly outdated Motors book on Automotive Engines and Electrical Systems, and there is a substantial list of potential causes of a miss during acceleration. Some of the possibilities may only be determined by swapping out devices, since it's intermittent and not a total failure.Name:  SECESH.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  199.5 KB

Found the problem as soon as I removed the distributor cap. The pickup coil was interfering with the rotating piece, the name escapes me at present, and filings were all over the magnet looking like heavy whiskers. These were allowing the juice to jump inside the cap rather than at the plugs. Wish I could determine for sure the brand of that pickup coil. The new one is apparently different and fits correctly. There is no play in the shaft.

Glad you found it. Nice looking '82!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Thanks. I hope to get it in front of an HVLP spray gun, just as soon as I can after Susie's is done. It's curious how the paint deteriorated worse on the urethane than elsewhere, but I suppose that would be due either to a factory added flex ingredient or to expansion/contraction of the parts. The hard plastic and fiberglass seem to hold paint equally with the metal.
    This car is only my second Mustang, the first was a '80 with a 3.3L sick (sic) cylinder. Poor thing. Fastest thing it ever did was depreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by SECESH View Post
    It's curious how the paint deteriorated worse on the urethane than elsewhere, but I suppose that would be due either to a factory added flex ingredient or to expansion/contraction of the parts. The hard plastic and fiberglass seem to hold paint equally with the metal.
    They all do that, even the red ones. I've also wondered why.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.