Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wish I would have seen this earlier, I might have had come by. Im 15mins away from MDR. Thanks

coat hanger method always works for me.
    You need to pull the headrest all the way up and then push the coat hanger down as far as you can
    loop the end of the coat hanger that you are holding so it is a handle
    Then push the headrest down and that will force the coat hanger down
    It also helps to twist the headrest when you are pulling up and really force it down hard
    repeat this several times, forcing the coat hanger down more and more
    You need to pull up hard on the headrest each time
    It does take some time to do it but you will get them out
    I've done this on over 20 different sets of Halo headrests- both with the groove and without

Quote Originally Posted by mikestang63 View Post
    coat hanger method always works for me.
    You need to pull the headrest all the way up and then push the coat hanger down as far as you can
    loop the end of the coat hanger that you are holding so it is a handle
    Then push the headrest down and that will force the coat hanger down
    It also helps to twist the headrest when you are pulling up and really force it down hard
    repeat this several times, forcing the coat hanger down more and more
    You need to pull up hard on the headrest each time
    It does take some time to do it but you will get them out
    I've done this on over 20 different sets of Halo headrests- both with the groove and without
    I'll have to keep trying the hanger method, thank you for the tips

Don't forget, I can help you if needed.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Don't forget, I can help you if needed.
    Thanks brother, keep me posted on when you'll be in town.

Goodness. I just purchased some halo headrests for my car and I am not looking forward to the day when I have to take the headrests off my seats. Hoping you got them damn things off!

Quote Originally Posted by tiretread View Post
    Goodness. I just purchased some halo headrests for my car and I am not looking forward to the day when I have to take the headrests off my seats. Hoping you got them damn things off!

I gave up after loosing 5lbs from sweating so much, cussing more then normal, I will try another day. I lost this battle for now, lol....

Well hell, I could stand to lose 20lbs or more, so I might have to tackle this project during the weekend in my closed non-ac garage in the SC heat.

FEP Senior Member

Yep, I have a 16 inch metal ruler with a nice curve to it now to be used just for the headrest removal. It's been used several times and it works good. It's still a PITA to get them out, but just need to stick with it and eventually they WILL come out.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

The best way to do this is too cut up the headrests so there is a straight shot to the unlock mecanisem. Worked for mine........but you cant go back because they will be destroyed. Just a thought. Mine look great.Name:  15037229331911885687054.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  70.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by chads84svo View Post
    The best way to do this is too cut up the headrests so there is a straight shot to the unlock mecanisem. Worked for mine........but you cant go back because they will be destroyed. Just a thought. Mine look great.Name:  15037229331911885687054.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  70.1 KB
    lol bro, my original Canyon red Halo's are in perfect condition, just want to add the netted Halo's, but thanks haha!!

Its funny. I started this thread 2 years ago, and I never got mine out. lol

But I haven't really tried since that weekend. Mine just has a barely visible split in the vinyl and I have a better one to replace it with. So not a top priority.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Mine wern't halo's.........just stock ugly plain head rests......thats why I murdered them.lol. I just like the halo look better. If you already have halos......leave em. Good luck. Lets see some pics.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12