Close

Default 5.0 swap into a 4 cylinder Fox

I'm surprised there wasn't a sticky on the topic!

My 19 year old son wants a Mustang badly but the insurance would be CRAZY! I've suggested pulling a 4 cylinder out of a Fox body and dropping a mildly built 5.0 engine as an alternative. That way, the insurance rate is based on the VIN code as a 4 cylinder (if I'm not mistaken). I'm curious if anyone here has gone through a similar situation with good results, and what challenges would we face when doing the swap? Other than engine and tranny, is there anything else that needs swapping...like brakes?

So the basis of this question is whether or not it would be worthwhile in his situation (age vs. insurance). From a collectability standpoint I know it wouldn't be worth as much as a proper 5.0 VIN'd car, but that's just not an option right now.

Thanks in advance!

I think I would shop around on ins. The money spent on the conversion would go a long way on paying ins. This is from a person that has done the swap.
    Mustang Week Staff
    www.mustangweek.com
    1980 Cobra
    1981 coupe 6 cylinder
    1982 GT
    04 Lightning
    14 GT

Quote Originally Posted by snkchmr View Post
    I think I would shop around on ins. The money spent on the conversion would go a long way on paying ins. This is from a person that has done the swap.
    Thanks. That's exactly the input I need to hear, especially from someone like yourself that's done it.

Quote Originally Posted by USN_Lifer View Post
    I'm surprised there wasn't a sticky on the topic!

My 19 year old son wants a Mustang badly but the insurance would be CRAZY! I've suggested pulling a 4 cylinder out of a Fox body and dropping a mildly built 5.0 engine as an alternative. That way, the insurance rate is based on the VIN code as a 4 cylinder (if I'm not mistaken). I'm curious if anyone here has gone through a similar situation with good results, and what challenges would we face when doing the swap? Other than engine and tranny, is there anything else that needs swapping...like brakes?

So the basis of this question is whether or not it would be worthwhile in his situation (age vs. insurance). From a collectability standpoint I know it wouldn't be worth as much as a proper 5.0 VIN'd car, but that's just not an option right now.

Thanks in advance!
    I did the very same thing for the very same reason about 15 years ago. I got a lot of tickets when I first started driving.

As far as Fox bodies go, it would definitely be worthwhile to find out for sure if the savings are worthwhile. They're getting to be pretty old now, so maybe they wouldn't be that bad for insurance anyway. I guess another advantage of doing a swap though would be that the car would be less likely to have been beat to hell. A 4 cylinder car might've been owned by someone like my aunt who just wanted the car for looks, and didn't care so much about performance. A secretary, if you will.

When I did mine, I went to a carb (I know, shocking!) so just getting the thing to run was pretty easy. I went from an auto to a manual, so I had to swap pedals. I also swapped in an 8.8 rear. That's probably a good thing to do if you hadn't considered it. I didn't change anything else though. I even wired the ignition coil to the 4 cylinder tach. It didn't read right, but it was fun to watch!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Engine swaps can be done relatively inexpensive if you are patient and are able to find a swap vehicle. I would look for Thunderbirds, Crown Vics, Lincolns etc. They tend to be more readily available and less expensive than a Mustang. While they may not give you all you want as far as hp and options, they will still make the Mustang/Capri much easier to hang the back out on. And as a bonus, it will still sound better than a 4cyl.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Also check on insurance on a V8 Capri. They have typically been less expensive than a Mustang due to the Mustang's rep.

If you do the swap, it helps to have the car that donated the engine. I bought a rusted out Capri with a strong 5.0 and T5 to swap into my coupe. Having a complete donor car was immensely helpful when I needed a bolt, harness, or part to complete the swap. It also made the swap look factory.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty View Post
    Also check on insurance on a V8 Capri. They have typically been less expensive than a Mustang due to the Mustang's rep.

If you do the swap, it helps to have the car that donated the engine. I bought a rusted out Capri with a strong 5.0 and T5 to swap into my coupe. Having a complete donor car was immensely helpful when I needed a bolt, harness, or part to complete the swap. It also made the swap look factory.
    Excellent tips. Thank you!

ive done it on a notch back, need new k member tranny, motor, new fuel lines 4cyl is on oposite side, its way easier to go carb. i was doing efi and quickly converted to carb, im not a wire guy. there are a alot of stickys out there for swaps and what is needed.
    84 5.0 ( currently restoring)
    86 Toyota 4x4
    02 Lexus is300

You don't need a new k-member. And I used the 4 cyl fuel lines on my carb engine swap.

EFI is definitely do-able with a parts car. You would just swap in the V8 wire harness and the wiring question is answered. That's what I did with my Zeph, which was an EFI swap.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Im going through the same thing with my 16 yera old. I have several Foxes, 4.5 to be exact and my son wanted a foureyed, but we could not find the notch he wanted....ended up buying him a 93 notch, $1300, 4cyl auto .... runs great and all works, no rust.

Maaco paint job, SEM trim paint cool wheels and a tint and its a sweet ride .... next year depending on his driving record we will drop in a 5.0 and 5 speed and its an easy conversion, plus its a dad son project

Insurance is cheap as i only have liability .... he has great grades = discount, did driver eduction = discount

From what I have researched it appears that the rack and pinion, and suspension are also different. The rack in the 4 cyl cars are a different ratio then the v8 cars. The springs in the 4cyl car are much lighter then the v8 cars. Some like the front 4cyl springs for drag racing as more weight is transferred to the rear of the car on acceleration. I haven't looked at the 4 cyl car that close but I don't think they have any sway bars either. It was already mentioned that the 85 and down cars have the 7.5 rear until the 86GT got the 8.8. I believe the brakes are exactly the same on the 4cyl to v8 cars until 87 when the two received different set ups. The 87 4cyl cars have the same brake set ups as the 86 and down cars have. I want to change my 86 coupe over to v8 from 4 cyl. I have an 86GT parts only (can never register it again) car that will be donating all the specific pieces.
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw
    1986 Mustang GT (parts car)
    1986 LX Coupe 4cyl, 4speed, LRB

I'm wrong about the sway bars. My 4cyl 86 has sway bars.
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw
    1986 Mustang GT (parts car)
    1986 LX Coupe 4cyl, 4speed, LRB

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    The springs in the 4cyl car are much lighter then the v8 cars. Some like the front 4cyl springs for drag racing as more weight is transferred to the rear of the car on acceleration.
    the springs aren't actually much different. that is just bad info floating around the internet. i was planning to go that route before i investigated.

check it out.. 4 banger on the left, 5.0 on the right.

the rears are even closer, 22lb/in difference
    Last edited by rob342; 09-25-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

Just a passing thought, although a stock 4-cyl car doesn't provide much in the way of performance. Instead of a V8 swap, you could consider an 83-84 Turbo GT, or an 84-86 SVO. Both are 4-cyl cars, it are equipped with a turbocharger to make things more interesting. The insurance on them isn't bad either.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    You don't need a new k-member. And I used the 4 cyl fuel lines on my carb engine swap.

EFI is definitely do-able with a parts car. You would just swap in the V8 wire harness and the wiring question is answered. That's what I did with my Zeph, which was an EFI swap.
    Old post I know, but do you happen to remember how you were able to use the 4cyl lines with the v8? I'm using the drivetrain and harness out of my 85 convertible to swap into my 85 coupe. Any tips or pointers would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by xX85GTVertXx View Post
    Old post I know, but do you happen to remember how you were able to use the 4cyl lines with the v8? I'm using the drivetrain and harness out of my 85 convertible to swap into my 85 coupe. Any tips or pointers would be awesome!
    On the fuel sending unit, I just removed the EFI pump and put a hose on it that extended to the bottom of the tank. Crude, but effective, haha. I don't remember what kind of end the lines had at the engine, but since the pressure is so much lower with a carb, you can just cut the hard line and clamp a hose on there to feed the mechanical pump and carb. You even get the added benefit of the EFI style fuel filter on there.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

My application might be a little bit different. My coupe has a mechanical fuel pump as does my convertible. The v8 has a return line and the last time I popped my head under the 4cyl I didn't see a return setup, was hoping for an easy way around that, might end up just swapping the tank and fuel lines ��

Are you running a regular carb? If so, you don't really need a return line (although it's nice to have).
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Yeah, return lines are for EFI.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST