Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

15 degree timing, shift at 6k and 4.10 gears. Driver mod..You should be able to pull 1.9 -2.0 60 footer. It will take some practice but it can be done.
    86 coupe
    1993 GT
    My 10 Sec street cars

Did you make it back to the track yet???

Quote Originally Posted by BigWillie View Post
    Did you make it back to the track yet???
    Nope, unfortunately I haven't, even though last night was perfect for it. The rain moved out and temp was in the high 70's. But, my son had an event at school and family comes first. Hope the weather cooperates next this coming Thursday so I can run it again.
    NCSU 08 Mathematics
    86 GT 5-speed, GT-40 heads, TFS1 cam, Performer EFI intake- 13.77@101.4
    66 mustang coupe-5.0 HO, T-5, 3.80 gears
    If everything seems under control, youre not going fast enough--Mario Andretti

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

12 initial timing is only 28 total, you can go higher, stock mass air meter is restrictive too. A 75MM Pro M is a good starting point for a mild combo like that.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Well, Just got home from the track, timing and a little cooler air made a big difference.

I bumped the timing to ~17* and shifted at 5600, temp was 65-70* at the time of the runs

First run: 13.773@101.463

Second run: 13.888@101.574

Still spun bad, the second run spun a little worse and I was asleep at the light.

60 fts were 2.124 and 2.294

I only made 2 passes

I know the cooler air helped, but it seems that low timing was the bulk of the problem. Thanks for the tips and advice, now it's time for some tires and to finally put those MM subframe connectors on.
    Last edited by v8stang289; 10-22-2015 at 08:30 PM.
    NCSU 08 Mathematics

Get hooked up and you'll be in the low 13's.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Get hooked up and you'll be in the low 13's.
    mmb617, How do you have your Fox suspension set up to hook at the track? Starting line technique?
    Scott
    Picayune,MS 39466
    Torch Red 2004 Mach 1 Mustang
    Silver 85 GT
    Previous set up...
    306, Lunati flat tappet, Eddy Performer Heads, RPM intake, Holley 650DP, Shorty Headers, Flowmasters, 3.73, T5. 12.92 @109

Current set up,,,
    408w, Internally balanced Scat rotating assy, Comp Hyd roller, Brodix heads, eddy air gap RPM intake, PowerjectionIII EFI, Longtube 1-3/4 headers, Flowmasters, 3.55 Cobra 31 spline diff w/Moser axles, TKO 600 5spd, Mcleod dual disc street clutch... ET... Traction Limited 11.93 @120mph

Quote Originally Posted by jsfrv6 View Post
    mmb617, How do you have your Fox suspension set up to hook at the track? Starting line technique?
    Understand it took a few years and a lot of money to get my car where it is now. Surely it's overkill unless you plan on running the brackets every week like I did for 6 years.

I have all the good stuff. Baseline suspensions relocated upper control arm pro launch kit, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty lower control arms, adjustable coil over shocks in the rear and adjustable coil over struts up front. I also have an anti-roll bar installed and I mini-tubbed it to run 28x10.5 slicks. I'm also running a spool rear.

I ran at a track that was notorious for lack of hook and needed to be sure I'd have traction every time in order to be competitive. Once all the parts were in place I could count on 1.5 to 1.6 sixty ft times. I see you are running a Windsor stroker. I think you will find that hooking up the massive torque from a 408 can be a challenge.

I don't know if this will help but I have my car on the lift right now so I ran out and took a pic of the rear suspension.

As for launch technique I'd heat the tires good then pull to the line. As soon as we were both staged I'd get up on the two step unless I was giving a couple second head start, in that case I'd wait till the other car launched to rev up. I have my two step and line loc wired together via a clutch switch. When my light flashed (pro tree) I'd let the clutch out real fast, but not quite an all out clutch dump.

Anything I can help with just ask. I can BS about cars all day!
    408/T5/3.73's

Blog Entries

How does that ride on the street?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Understand it took a few years and a lot of money to get my car where it is now. Surely it's overkill unless you plan on running the brackets every week like I did for 6 years.

I have all the good stuff. Baseline suspensions relocated upper control arm pro launch kit, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty lower control arms, adjustable coil over shocks in the rear and adjustable coil over struts up front. I also have an anti-roll bar installed and I mini-tubbed it to run 28x10.5 slicks. I'm also running a spool rear.

I ran at a track that was notorious for lack of hook and needed to be sure I'd have traction every time in order to be competitive. Once all the parts were in place I could count on 1.5 to 1.6 sixty ft times. I see you are running a Windsor stroker. I think you will find that hooking up the massive torque from a 408 can be a challenge.

I don't know if this will help but I have my car on the lift right now so I ran out and took a pic of the rear suspension.

As for launch technique I'd heat the tires good then pull to the line. As soon as we were both staged I'd get up on the two step unless I was giving a couple second head start, in that case I'd wait till the other car launched to rev up. I have my two step and line loc wired together via a clutch switch. When my light flashed (pro tree) I'd let the clutch out real fast, but not quite an all out clutch dump.

Anything I can help with just ask. I can BS about cars all day!
    Thanks for the info... And, yea, that 408 is a bear to launch with out spinning... I have Lakewood lower control arms and shocks and can only muster a 1.83 60ft... Anything more and it's spinning.... Best E.T. is 11.93 @120mph...

Sorry for highjacking the thread... Now back to your normally scheduled program..
    Scott
    Picayune,MS 39466
    Silver 85 GT
    Previous set up...
    306, Lunati flat tappet, Eddy Performer Heads, RPM intake, Holley 650DP, Shorty Headers, Flowmasters, 3.73, T5. 12.92 @109

Current set up,,,
    408w, Internally balanced Scat rotating assy, Comp Hyd roller, Brodix heads, eddy air gap RPM intake, PowerjectionIII EFI, Longtube 1-3/4 headers, Flowmasters, 3.55 Cobra 31 spline diff w/Moser axles, TKO 600 5spd, Mcleod dual disc street clutch... ET... Traction Limited 11.93 @120mph

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    How does that ride on the street?
    Not good at all. It's fine for the occasional cruise but I sure wouldn't want it as a DD. The spool and anti-roll bar are two things that aren't recommended for street use, but will work if you drive within their limitations. The ride is rough and you feel every bump in the road. I'm not complaining as the car is just a toy and I never expected it to ride like a Caddy. It's technically street legal but I only put a couple hundred miles a year on it in street use.
    408/T5/3.73's

Quote Originally Posted by jsfrv6 View Post
    Thanks for the info... And, yea, that 408 is a bear to launch with out spinning... I have Lakewood lower control arms and shocks and can only muster a 1.83 60ft... Anything more and it's spinning.... Best E.T. is 11.93 @120mph...
    That sounds real familiar. Before I got the suspension all done I was just like you with my mph being too high for the ET since the wheelspin doesn't hurt the mph but kills the ET. You have enough mph for easy mid 11's if you can get hooked up. I ran 11.7 @ 116 so with 4 more mph you could probably get 11.3's or so. You probably have 50 hp more than I do as you have better heads.
    408/T5/3.73's

Have you stopped bracket racing? I don't remember seeing any of your racing stories lately, unless I've overlooked them. I always enjoyed those.
    Last edited by v8stang289; 10-24-2015 at 10:25 AM.
    NCSU 08 Mathematics

Delayed double post. Whoops..
    NCSU 08 Mathematics

That sounds real familiar. Before I got the suspension all done I was just like you with my mph being too high for the ET since the wheelspin doesn't hurt the mph but kills the ET. You have enough mph for easy mid 11's if you can get hooked up. I ran 11.7 @ 116 so with 4 more mph you could probably get 11.3's or so. You probably have 50 hp more than I do as you have better heads.
    Roger that... I drive this thing regular so don't want to get to radical with the suspension and ruin the ride quality so it may just have to do... Sure is fun to drive and at a rolling start it will get with the program...
    Scott
    Picayune,MS 39466
    Silver 85 GT
    Previous set up...

Current set up,,,

Blog Entries

I need to hook up 400ft/lbs of torque, but want to keep a moderately streetable ride. I'm thinking the MM arms, skip the sway bar and upper arm relocation, and start saving pennys for a torque arm. I just wish i could find someone with real world experience with one.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by v8stang289 View Post
    Have you stopped bracket racing? I don't remember seeing any of your racing stories lately, unless I've overlooked them. I always enjoyed those.
    I didn't get to the track this year at all. Unfortunately my wife is now battling cancer and it's taking up all our time and money. She was able to beat breast cancer 14 years ago so we're hoping she can beat this one too.
    408/T5/3.73's

I didn't get to the track this year at all. Unfortunately my wife is now battling cancer and it's taking up all our time and money. She was able to beat breast cancer 14 years ago so we're hoping she can beat this one too.
    That's certainly understandable. I remember your thread about that now. I wish you guys good luck and I hope she beats it.
    NCSU 08 Mathematics

Sorry to hear that... Prayers coming....
    Scott
    Picayune,MS 39466
    Silver 85 GT
    Previous set up...

Current set up,,,

Quote Originally Posted by BigWillie View Post
    Any new up dates??
    Nope, haven't gotten out to the track since the 13.77@101.5 run. I haven't made any changes to the car either though. They usually stop test&tune around this time until spring so it will probably be a while before I run it again.
    NCSU 08 Mathematics

4-hole 19lb injectors from a 96 explorer
    NCSU 08 Mathematics

Yeah I'd say upgrade injectors and mass air meter. For sure. My Dad has a 347 stroker and when we first got it together we used his old 24# injectors and cobra meter...once we upgraded to 30's and an 80mm pro-m he picked up like 50hp. Different combo for sure but a similar and comparable upgrade I'd think...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12