Close

Default best option for ignition coil

So I had an issue the past week with my car cutting out while driving. It wound up being the TFI was the problem. Now that I got the car to run more thn 30 minutes without stalling I have a bit of a dilemma.

So now I have an Acell, a motorcraft and Duralast coils. Which one is best to keep and use?

I'm sure ill be returning the Duralast. The dilemma is;
    is the stock Motorcraft a better way to go with an engine that is mostly stock? Or does the Acell actually provide a better spark?

Also I read that when using a performance coil such as Acell or MSD that the spark plug gap is supposed to be widened by at least .001. I never did that when I put in the Acell last year. How badly does that hamper the performance with the stock gap with a performance coil?

Any insight on this?

I would stay with Ford Motorcraft. All parts were made to work with each other. Supposedly the Accel will provide a bigger spark, so I see reason behind opening the gap. Will the performance be noticed? Maybe upon the first run, then you will get used to it.

I use an FD 478 Blue Streak coil in my 84 Mustang and haven't had any issues with it.
    http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/STD/#/vehicles
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited