Close

Default Another Cup Holder Idea

This is using a 2005-14 Nissan XTerra/Pathfinder cup which is still available new for $12 per cup. The reason I picked it is because it is a very well sized cup for both soda and say a large Dunkin Donuts coffee. And I happen to have a Pathfinder.

Easily removable with no alteration is the goal, so it simply uses the existing self tapping screws in the transmission tunnel. With this template there is no interference with the passenger seat range of movement. The way the cups sit against the carpet make it pretty much self supporting. I have a few shops locally that can fab. Having some sort of outer lip that rests against the console would provide more support.
    Then again people could think the whole idea sucks which is OK too ha ha. Ideas welcome...

FEP Power Member

I'm thinking it would be better if you could find some of the cup holders out there that collapse and fold out the way when not in use. Can't remember what cars I've seen them on but they are out there. Buicks?

On my 86, we removed the entire ashtray/cig lighter panel, and replaced with a custom piece fitted with two cup holders. Didn't work out because a standard water bottle sits too high and interferes with both the shifter and radio controls. Moreover, because of the container height, the holders had to be angled back a bit so a container would clear the dash.

Our redesign considered something similar to the above which the after market has already done, or something in the center console pad - also done by the after market. Right now we are looking at some Bimmer models that fold away, or an after market that fastens to the console and simply folds flat. No easy solution for these cars short of a fully custom center console.

I'm considering a full custom console. The 82 is too damn hard to find original parts for. I just spent 24 hours locating an e-brake handle and it wasn't cheap. Originality is going out the door. I'm already planning on pulling the bezel and running Auto Meters and I just bought a 1991 set of front & rear seats. The only thing in the interior I'm beholden to is the dash because I really dislike the 87+ version. If I can find a way to create a fiberglass or fiberboard console, with vinyl arm rest and cup holders (2 of them), something that will look consistent with the 79-86 dash I'll do it. That e-brake handle in the center is a big pain. Is it feasible to offset it on the transmission tunnel?

The 87-93 cars have the E brake offset to the passenger side. Although not enough for a large drink holder. The offset was just enough to allow Ford to put the ash tray there rather than at the front of the console as in the 79-86 cars.

Name:  17141_alt1.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  73.7 KB

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I used the ram mounting systems to build this one. The three parts from ram are the medium size socket arm and two 1 inch balls. The cupholder was purchased from Walmart in the camping section. I chiseled off the handles and drilled a quarter inch hole for one of the female ram ball. The insert was also purchased from Walmart, it’s just a simple hang on the window cupholder.
    Name:  B8EE8EBD-AD56-4EB3-B2C2-7441F8171F2A.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  116.4 KB

It’s mounted to the front left seat rail bolt.
    Name:  38E0E622-67EC-4B02-80DA-4B38F6E72637.jpeg
Views: 148
Size:  87.4 KB