Close

Default I'm back! With the same old Z7...still in storage.

I know it's been a few years. Life has been pretty nuts.
    But I lost my storage in Buffalo, NY (friend sold his house) and had to collect everything ASAP.
    So I did a mad 36 hour put-the-yard-truck-back-on-the-road*, drive 11 hours to Buffalo, load the truck, and drive 12 hours back.
    Then I came back to the ship.

And so now there's a white Z7 in a self-storage unit 10 minutes from my house (no place to put it on my property).

And my 1999 Mustang convertible blew a brake line right before I came back to work.
    The solution is obvious:
    I'm going to have a 3.8L/T5 Zephyr on the road next year, and I'll eventually get a fun motor in it (not that the 'stang engine was boring, or stock, but the Zephyr was calling out for more than 200hp on the pavement).

I'd say "watch this space" but anyone who remembers my posts from before has seen the moss growing thick on my last few comments.
    So, if you're in Maine (near Augusta) or New England generally, give me a yell while I try to remember what Foxes are like.

That will be a fun engine trans combo in your Z7. I've been thinking about that combo in a fox for a DD.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

It should be an easy swap at this point; the Mustang already has a tuned, modded motor and I have the SCT/RTR setup to tune it. I'll just move the whole drivetrain over, except, of course, the rear axle and driveshaft. I've already got a Cobra rear and K-member in the Z7.

Nice to hear from you again. Hope you get some Fairmont time in.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Miss my Zephyr i had. Nice car man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long time no see! Hope all has been well. Life's been crazy for me too lately so progress has been slow, but it's all progress one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Wow. Old thread. I will now pay more attention.
    Last edited by uglybox; 11-14-2016 at 05:21 PM.
    '78 Fairmont with 4 doors and 8 cylinders.
    '92 LX convertible with 2 doors and 4 cylinders.

Hope opportunities arise for all of us to get back to our F/Z's! I've got two project ones that I've barely started and have been struggling to find the motivation to work on this year. Do we need a neglected Fairmont-Zephyr support group?
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

Hi. I'm Rob, and I haven't touched my Fairmont since I purchased it.

I completely understand about life getting in the way.

I sure do miss my wagon. That's a mighty fine lookin' specimen Y's other there, Jimbo302.

Well, it may be reviving an old thread...and it's pretty much the same, 5-years-since-I-last-checked-in sorta thread. ...with some progress! Sadly, the poor Mustang is off to the scrap bin...meaning the 3.8/T5 is resting in the engine bay of the Zephyr! (I wanted to type "Forlorn Fairmont" because I can't think of similar alliteration for the Zephyr, but I digress...)
    Of course, the real reason any of you bothered to look at this post...PICTURES!Name:  Zephyr Project 2021 0165.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  316.6 KB
    Name:  Zephyr Project 2021 0195.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  391.8 KB
    Name:  Zephyr Project 2021 0113.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  318.1 KB
    Name:  Zephyr Project 2021 0214.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  292.8 KB
    Name:  Zephyr Project 2021 0159.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  348.1 KB
    Last edited by Greywolf; 03-06-2021 at 05:57 AM.

So...maybe I'll be done in the next 5 years? (Actually...hoping for sometime this summer...maybe?)
    I'm getting thrown out of this garage next weekend so the owner can work on his own projects; not sure where I'll be moving it to but hopefully not back into storage. For those who are looking carefully...these pictures take place over almost the last 5 months and through 3 different facilities (and I've been to sea twice, at sea now and headed ashore next weekend with enough time for a day of work before I have to move the car again...)

I might need to change the oil from all the miles before I even get to start the engine!
    Name:  Zephyr Project 2021 0228.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  315.4 KB
    Name:  Zephyr Project 2021 0066.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  260.7 KB
    Name:  Zephyr Project 2021 0083.jpg
Size:  404.4 KB
    Name:  Zephyr Project 2021 0208.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  390.3 KB
    Also, a picture of my poor beloved Mustang, whose departure gives life to the Zephyr.
    Name:  Zephyr Project 2021 0035.jpg
Size:  390.3 KB
    Last edited by Greywolf; 03-06-2021 at 12:15 PM.

It is looking terrific! Glad to see you have not given up on the build.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Digging the headers on that 3.8! Even if it takes 15 years to finish, you'll have something to enjoy, ultimately.

15 years...trying to remember when I bought this from Chuck W...might be closer to 20!

I wasn't going to go with headers; those being shorties and basically photogenic versions of the originals. The originals were both cracked, probably when the Mustang got hit years ago; and I probably didn't notice because the accident (rear-ended in a parking lot and pushed up onto a parking divider) also tore off the mufflers. Fortunately the Y-pipe is intact.

The ebay cheapo stainless headers were cheaper than replacement OEM style, and they actually seem to be decently made. They're thick and flat where they bolt to the head; I think they were nicer than the Hooker headers I put in my F150 years ago.

Of course, they are made for the SN95 stock location; this install is lower and further back, I'm basically 1/4" from the Fox firewall and almost resting on the steering rack. The EGR fitting is at the firewall; if I screw the EGR pipe or a cap in it's about 1/8" from hitting and I have to screw it in before I install the header. The SN95 has a subtly different shape there, and it's right at the Fox heater so I don't want to dimple it much. I'm going to cut and re-weld the manifold fitting. The other side is hard up against the steering shaft. A socket, a torch, and a real big hammer will deal with that.

I don't see the 3.8 as a forever engine in this; so I'm trying to keep it as close to SN95 wiring and controls as possible, making future EFI swaps easier. I'd rather not build a whole new exhaust; I'm going back to a single tailpipe for now (and I put the fuel filter in the passenger side muffler well anyway, if I win the lottery I'll probably be installing a 2.3 Ecoboost with a big single).
    Last edited by Greywolf; 03-09-2021 at 06:24 AM.

Glad to see the beast getting a little attention.

Here's a couple pics of where it started when I sold it to Ben back in '07

I6/auto. Slow as crap.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon