Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Curious, numbers of 2.3 and 5.0 Black Magics

Is there any info on the breakdown between the numbers of 2.3 and 5.0 Black Magics? I know there is for the 20th Anniversary Edition........
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

You also have to include the 6cyl in the mix. My 81 originally had a 3.3
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    You also have to include the 6cyl in the mix. My 81 originally had a 3.3
    Hmmmm, wasn't aware of that.

Is there any place that breaks down the numbers by 2.3, 3.3, 5.0, etc? Or maybe has the number by engine codes per year (A, B, D,F), like XXX of A, XXX of B, XXX of D and XXX of F?
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I have (non-turbo) 2.3L, 3.3L I6, 4.2L V8 and 5.0L engines in the Black Magic database/registry. I haven't seen one yet with a turbo 2.3L or 3.8L V6 engine.

The only number I have seen that was by engine was a facsimile from Lincoln-Mercury, posted by BRAD DODGE, for the 1982 model year only. The fax said there were 1417 BMs and 823 of them had the 5.0L engine. I haven't seen a Marti report yet for a 1982 BM so I can't say if the total number is accurate.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

on my marti is has the breakdown for all capri engines for the year, maybe need to get an elite one..

Thanx. Currently researching 1983 model year. As mentioned, my 20th is a 1 of 362. Trying to research Black Magic 1983 engine option numbers.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Did you see one with the turbo?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Fidel: Which of your Marti reports has the breakdown for all Capri engines for the year?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Mick, im sorry maybe thats not right, but I am assuming that my marti for my 1983 black magic states " 3210" with engine transmission combo and if they only made 469 black magic's that stat must be for all 1983 capris?

Name:  Screenshot_2015-09-07-13-24-02.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  46.6 KB

granted this doesnt include auto's, or 5 speed 5.0 cars.
    Last edited by STANGMAN116; 09-07-2015 at 02:30 PM.

The engine/trans stat on your deluxe report is for all 1983 Capri 3-door hatchbacks. L, GS, RS, Black Magic, Crimson Cat....all of them. (The 5.0L engine was not available in the [base] Capri or the Turbo RS.)

Also, the stat on your report is only for the trans in your car (4-speed SROD). There would be another engine/trans combo stat for the T-5 trans. So there were more than 3210 Capris with the 5.0L engine in 1983. There was no auto behind the 5.0L engine in 1982 or 1983.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-07-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Also, according to Marti Auto Works, there were 469 Black Magic but only 400 Capris with 1C paint and YA trim. That means there were 69 BMs painted 9D in 1983.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Exactly! 69 white lighting's.

None in the database/registry yet, though.

Technically, they're not "white lightning". That was just a advertising/marketing term. The white ones are still called "black magic".
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Ohhhhhh learn something new everyday..

Black Thunder and White Lightning would have been better names.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

My main question was kinda geared towards the 1983 year options. How many 5.0's were there, specifically.
    Last edited by conmech; 09-07-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Oh I see, I think that stat is unknown...

Well, that's no good. I want numbers, dangit!!!
    conmech - aka Marshall

Although if you look at the data base, every 83 has an F (5.0) code except some have a 3 which may be a typo.

The 1983s in the database with the 3.8L V6 (engine code "3") are Crimson Cats.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Ooooo thanks for clearing that up. So it may be that all black magic's had a 5.0 in 83? Or not if the cc's had 6cyl possible for bm as well... interesting! !!
    Last edited by STANGMAN116; 09-07-2015 at 08:37 PM.

According to Mercury books the non-turbo 2.3L was standard and 3.8L and 5.0L were optional in both.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Just uncertain as to how msny of each..... correct?

So, 1983 Black Magic with 5.0 is a good thing..... just no numerical data.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    According to Mercury books the non-turbo 2.3L was standard and 3.8L and 5.0L were optional in both.
    Interesting! !!

Marshall...that is correct...we do not know engine breakdowns for either the BM or the CC in any year.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast