Close

FEP Power Member

Default 10.5" Clutch ???

Currently have the 83 5.0 5 speed vert that will be needing a new clutch soon. I believe the 83 has the 10" clutch and would like to replace it with the 10.5".
    Are there any known issues with swap? Any extra hardware needed when doing this? Any issues with using existing flywheel other than getting it resurfaced? Just trying to get all the bases covered and order everything at one time.

Thanks,
    Zen
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

The bigger 10.5" flywheel takes metric pressure plate bolts, whereas the 10" uses SAE. But if you can get your 10" converted to 10.5", then it's not an issue.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

From all I've read and understand, the 10 and 10.5 is the same. Even has holes already, you may need to tap them. The surface will take the 10.5 clutch. The issue I have read is the flywheel is hardened to the 10 inch clutch after millions of heat cycles. I did this upgrade to my 83 and used a Centerforce dual friction clutch.

FEP Power Member

Was thinking to replace the flywheel as well instead of resurfacing.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

I would replace it. Cheap enough.

FEP Power Member

So CJ says to use this kit...
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-pony-p...9-1993/p/CKS1/

Why couldn't I buy this clutch kit and flywheel for less???
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-pony-p...-2001/p/CK110/
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/manual-tr...2-1995/p/MTF7/

Confused???
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

I don't get what's up with that kit pricing ($377.99). It looks to me like you could buy the same clutch ($145.79) and flywheel ($74.39) separately for a lot less. The only thing I see you wouldn't get that's in the kit is the bearing retainer, flywheel bolts and clutch bolts, and those parts together are a lot less than the $157.81 difference in price.

In fact cjpony lists the retainer at $60 and it can be bought at astro performance for $28. cjpony lists the flywheel bolts at $14. Although I couldn't find the clutch bolts listed they are in the same ballpark. So even if you bought every single item that's in the kit separately you'd save over $100.

I thought at first the kit might have a steel flywheel but from the description it seems it's the same iron one you can buy for $75.

I know what I'd be doing!
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Why are you guys complaining. You all know convenience costs $$$$$$$. LOL. It's like big brother trading you 10 pennies for your half dollar coin. Seems like a good deal, but getting your eyes poked in reality.

Things aren't always what you'd expect. I would think there would be a savings in the "package price", but sometimes that's not true.

Same as buying a larger quantity of something at the grocery store. Normally you'd expect the per ounce price to be less in the larger package, but if you read carefully you'll see that's not always true either.

I guess us cheapskates have to stay on our toes to get the best bargains!
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Did this upgrade to my 83 in the mid 90's when there was still parts available from Ford Motorsport, everything except a new flywheel, which I bought used and had reground. I also needed a clutch linkage upgrade kit to change the clutch release fork to heavy duty and a new teflon lined clutch cable. Works very well for my stock engine.