Close

Thread: Shifter bushing

Default Shifter bushing

Anyone know where I can get a shifter bushing for a tremec 140, I can find them for a srod but am not sure if they are the same or not. Mine is in pieces and I cant seem to remember what it looked like when it was intact, therefore I cannot see if it is the same as the ones I found online. Any help would be great thanks everyoneName:  IMG_3364.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  108.2 KB

I know you got this sorted. Ford outsourced its gearboxes to other customers, and used standard off the shelf Borg Warner or Tremec parts.

Two types of common sadles were used by Ford, and the Tremec 140/141/170 used one of these replacement parts. Probably the smaller one for your U shift 5 speed.

http://core-shifters.com/products/sr...tang-f100-f150

Either the FoMoCo # D9BZ7K453B (obsolete) RUG, RTS, & HEH. It has a Saddle 1.5" long inside and snaps onto a 8.5mm shaft (~0.330" dia).

There is also a shorter version, FoMoCo # D4ZZ7K453B for RAD / SR4 . Jeep and Ford used it. ~5/8" long for a 7mm shaft (~0.276" dia) - see it in my other listings (D4ZZ7K453B)

Give us some feedback on what you used, as I'm interested in using this gearbox...

I ended up switching out to a t5 from a turbo coupe after I built my turbo motor. Still have the trans in the garage just haven't worked on it. My guess was it was broken for a while until I opened it up and found it. Shifted "fine" till the day I took it out of the car. Curious how much better it would be with it though. I found some of those parts you have pictures for the rad tans online. Not sure if the smaller one will work or not though. If you happen to figure it out let me know because I would like this trans to be complete top to bottom.
    80 Capri built 5.0 single turbo manual trans
    86 mustang coupe built 351w single turbo manual trans
    84 t bird built 5.0 c5 auto

Aha, the part changed in 1979 when the FOG 4speed became the ET RUG.

So its definatley the Ford D9BZ7K453B 1-1/2 inch version. Your shifter is straight SROD with the three bolt diagonal plate.

Ford upgraded this gearbox in 1979 to the stronger SROD shifter ET RUG or RAP. To stop that awfull nylon dome and tabbed lock nut and plastic shifter bushing that plauged all 1969 to 1980 model year Pinto FOG transmissions.

It's called a saddle, it's the bushing that goes between the shift lever and linkage. Merkur Midwest in the US sells heaps of these. It's the same for the Pinto transmission (FOG Type E) and the Type 9 5-speed used in the European Capri and Sierra/Merkur. The T9 in the Merkur is essentially a Pinto transmission with a 5th gear shoved in it. They are similar but smaller,

and some are made out of brass.

The single rail 200/250/302/351 gearbox in Australia, a forerunner to the US alloy SR4 and T4, used two different shaft sizes, 6.6 mm or 7 mm, with a intermediate 29/32" saddle length.

See Giovanni's post on http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php...hifter-saddle/

Incidently, there are plenty of parts on line for the T140 RAP...

Mainshafts (FORD TREMEC MAINSHAFT, RAP 5 SPD T140-2A FORD #E0ZZ7A061B TREMEC#2604795),
    idler gears,
    spigot housings etc.

If it gives you grief, you can even retrofit another one like the English do to there Type 9's

Its really only the shifter and trans casting that's different on your T140...all the Australian and European stuff was cast iron case with alloy extension housngs.

Ha ha .

I've gone back and looked again.

The RAP 5 Speed lookes 100% Type 9 and ET 78 (Rocket) in its construction. Pinto guys get this part, so do Merkur Type 9 manual 5 speed owners. Same part.

The European made Rocket gearbox and its variants gave birth to the Type 9 when it got a 5th gear in 1983. However, Ford USA requested a change to a Three bolt shifter upgrade to make the RUG ET version, which also lookes like it shares the RAP shifter bushing.

The common nylon shifter saddle is motomobil.com OE Part Number: 1522783 Then 0-5, 0-6,R10, R11, R12,

eEvil Bay has it...http://www.ebay.com/itm/150977514516

http://www.merkurmidwest.com/catalog/i551.html

Shifter Bushing Clip T9 (new)
    This is a new replacement T9 shifter bushing clip. Takes out shifter slop that develops over years of use or if you have misplaced or broken your original one. Installs at the bottom forked area of the T9 shifter.
    There's also a brass one available made for competition use by Burton in the UK. http://www.burtonpower.com/hd-brass-...e-gbt9539.html

It may be that the early D4 SR4 part number one will work as well. It has no separate side pod like the early one does.

The D4ZZ7K453B RAN SR4 bushing is also the Jeep Crown Shift Rod Bushing

It has different dimensions Length: 0.75" Width: 0.75" Height: 0.50" and two alterante part numbers 8127490, J8127490
    http://www.morris4x4center.com/shift...g-8127490.html

I don't see a trans tag on my 1980 carb turbo 2.3 but my Marty report says it's the Borg Warner 4 speed. Is this the SROD or RAD/SR4 or RUG? I'm confused how to tell or if are they all the same.
    Casting says:
    BASIC V?
    13-32-065-903

RF-D5ZR-7006-BA

Thx!
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

RAD, most likely RAD-Y. That's what my stored trans tag says. Same casting numbers on case.
    Was from a 2.3 turbo Capri. Think it's 1980 year. Was written on trans with a yellow paint pen.
    Car's first trans is long gone. Replaced in 1987. Same tag code, match verified by trans shop.
    Of course, if no tag, cannot positively confirm a 'Y' .

Door data plate trans code is 6. Marti report also says trans 6. 6= Four speed Borg Warner.
    Pretty certain Ford carried RAD-Y over again in '80 in cars with the 2.3T engine.
    Turbo cars had certain non-engine parts changed/upgraded from n/a 2.3 to V6-V8 spec due to added performance.
    Transmission, brakes, cooling, exhaust system.

http://www.mustangii.org/tech/trans/

A while back, copied trans #2 tag data, in ink, to the tag example pic in the shop manual:
    Name:  trans RAD ID mine.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  56.6 KB

1979 data:
    Name:  trans RAD ID mine (1).jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  98.7 KB
    Last edited by gr79; 10-18-2018 at 06:08 PM.

GR you clearly are a Super Member! Unbelievable resource of information thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    RAD, most likely RAD-Y. That's what my stored trans tag says. Same casting numbers on case.
    Was from a 2.3 turbo Capri. Think it's 1980 year. Was written on trans with a yellow paint pen.
    Car's first trans is long gone. Replaced in 1987. Same tag code, match verified by trans shop.
    Of course, if no tag, cannot positively confirm a 'Y' .

Door data plate trans code is 6. Marti report also says trans 6. 6= Four speed Borg Warner.
    Pretty certain Ford carried RAD-Y over again in '80 in cars with the 2.3T engine.
    Turbo cars had certain non-engine parts changed/upgraded from n/a 2.3 to V6-V8 spec due to added performance.
    Transmission, brakes, cooling, exhaust system.

http://www.mustangii.org/tech/trans/

A while back, copied trans #2 tag data, in ink, to the tag example pic in the shop manual:
    Name:  trans RAD ID mine.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  56.6 KB

1979 data:
    Name:  trans RAD ID mine (1).jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  98.7 KB
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 10-19-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Glad to help. Keeps one up to speed and checking access to data, parts if needed. FEP is making this possible.
    Info, research, ideas, thoughts that can help keep our cars going, especially concerning unique parts of our cars.
    Ford shop manuals, service publications, and EVTMs are gold. as are other's comments, experiences, pics, and info.
    Been keeping track since the 80's, because planned to keep car stock and knew it could be hard to find stuff like this someday.
    Old info is out there, but some can get faded, corrupted, or plain disappear as time goes on.
    Worse is when any car has to stay parked due to something stopping it from normal operation.

One reward of all this is ongoing, seeking contacts who helped build our cars. The what, whys. Mostly at local car events.
    Am in the Detroit area. The Fords, McLarens, Roushs, others, are nearby and intact.
    Thousands of people that worked on this stuff are scattered and out, or soon to be out, of the business. Moved on.
    Some fun goals are prying specific info and tidbits from them, when given a chance or opportunity, before its too late.
    Last edited by gr79; 10-19-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Great info. My 80 RS Turbo has needed some shifter help for a long time. It’s sloppy and loose. Like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. Are all of the RAD shifter bushings the same? Any advice on the best source to get them?
    Mike Rausch

1979 Capri 2.3
    1980 Capri Turbo RS
    1980 Capri 2.3
    1980 Mustang 2.3

https://core-shifters.com/collections/bushings?page=2

Having had my car for a long while, things changed:
    RAD, stock shifter assy. Day 1 to 8/30/82
    RAD, Hurst shifter assy. 8/30/82 to 7/1/2002 (new shifter 78.00 at 58,000 miles, broke 2001)
    RAD, stock shifter assy 12/2001 to 7/2002
    T-5, stock shifter assy. 7/1/2002 to 7/21/2007
    T-5, stock base, Hurst lever and knob 7/21/2007 to 7/12/15
    T-5, Core/Hurst SST base, Hurst lever and knob (current) 7/12/15

Finally getting around to fixing this... is this the correct bushing for my application?
    https://core-shifters.com/collection...ant=8019734787
    Mike Rausch

1979 Capri 2.3
    1980 Capri Turbo RS
    1980 Capri 2.3
    1980 Mustang 2.3

Far as i can tell, a RAD is a RAD, concerning shifter bushings. All sub-variations used the same bushing.
    Looks to be the correct part for RAD-Y code trans, the carb 2.3 turbo 4 speed trans.
    Verify trans on door data tag, RAD trans code is 6.
    Also metal trans id tag, on trans, to make certain. Trans tag will have that code stamped in it.
    Especially the trans tag, if suspecting trans was replaced and not the original.

Can order part thru ebay too. Same part, is Core's Ebay site:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shifter-sad...5.c10#viTabs_0

Core's note:
    "Cross-references to FoMoCo # D4ZZ-7K453-B / Jeep # J8127490. WARNING: information about these applications is sparse. Regardless of the above list PLEASE inspect & measure your old parts prior to purchase! This saddle is 5/8" (~16mm) long inside and snaps onto a 7mm shaft (~0.276" dia). There is also a longer version ~1.5" (38mm) long for a 8.5mm shaft (~0.330" dia) - see it in my other listings for RUG / SROD (D9BZ-7K453-B)".