Close

Default New to me 85 convertible

This is my first ford and honestly I'm not really sure what I've got. Someone's done alot of work to it, some good, some not so good. I took the carb apart cleaned and adjusted everything and finally got it running almost right. Now my major issues are the lack of turn signals and brake fluid loss. I've got a motor for the wiperblades on the way. I'm hoping the brake fluid is just wheel cylinders. I'm going to pull the drums this weekend. Fender says 5.0 but intake says 289. not sure what's going on there either.

So I guess what I'm asking for is a general opinion of what I've got, and what to do with it and maybe point out something obvious that I'm overlooking.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I cannot find the fuse box anywhere. it shouldn't be this difficult. Im finding a lot of cut wiring tho..

New User

It probably has the edlebrock performer 289 intake. Probably is a 302. I love the wheels and the 5 lug swap. But IMO the tail lights are hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by 85TN View Post
    I cannot find the fuse box anywhere. it shouldn't be this difficult. Im finding a lot of cut wiring tho..
    The fuse box in under the panel below the steering column between the hood release pull handle. Should be four Philips head screws holding the panel. As four the brake fluid missing, if there is no brake fluid residue dripping onto the inner wheels, could be leaking into the brake booster at the master cylinder or between the brake booster and the master cylinder. It could be a Performer 289 intake on a 302 block, like I used to run long ago. I also see you have an HEI type distributor. Car looks cool.
    Last edited by 83gtstang; 09-02-2015 at 09:26 PM.

thanks for the views, and especially the replys, I'll take that panel off tomorrow and hopefully I'll find the fusebox. there are two chambers in the brake reservoir, only the front one is going empty..

Well you have front disk brakes, so could be the calipers or the old brittle rubber brake lines.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gtstang View Post
    Well you have front disk brakes, so could be the calipers or the old brittle rubber brake lines.
    So front chamber is front brakes then? Sorry I wasn't clear before. I have to refill every two days, thought I'd see a puddle by now if it was something like that.

Well I could be wrong now that I think of it I may not know what I'm talking about 100% sure LOL. I think yes 74%, because I'm having the same issue. My front driver caliper is leaking, it's a visible puddle on the ground. My front chamber was empty.

The large (rear) chamber is for the front brakes, smaller (front) chamber is for the rears. Now let's talk
    about that huge HEI lump sitting up there in front of God and everyone. Holy cats. I'm gonna guess your
    car used to be a V6/automatic, and that was their quick 'n dirty solution to the ignition question.

BTW, nice Magnum.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Ditch the flex fan for either the factory clutch setup, or an electric fan out of a newer Ford at the junk yard. It's robbing horsepower and it might fly apart. Decent fan control systems can be had out there for pretty cheap.

Someone else already broached the subject of those tail lights... I'd get some '85s.

Then I'd look at going to the Ford Duraspark ignition system - even just for the same reason as the tail lights. But you need to know if your engine has a roller or flat tappet cam, so you get the correct gear on the distributor. Duraspark is more reliable IMO and it looks better than the HEI.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Ditch the flex fan for either the factory clutch setup, or an electric fan out of a newer Ford at the junk yard.

I'm totally ready to get rid of that fan. It sounds terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post

BTW, nice Magnum.
    Thanks, that's the wife's fun lil kid carrying wagon. No minivans at this house.

Welcome vert owner! Your ride looks very nice!

Need any help with the top we have a Q and A thread in the body section, here is a link..... http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...rtible-Q-amp-A

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

New flasher fixed the turn signal issue! except I need a new socket on the right front. I'm hoping our local pickapart will have one. I'm going to look for fan options while I'm there as well. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Now let's talk about that huge HEI lump sitting up there in front of God and everyone. Holy cats. I'm gonna guess your car used to be a V6/automatic, and that was their quick 'n dirty solution to the ignition question.
    Aside from looking out of place on a Ford, there is nothing wrong with the GM HEI distributor. The HEI is an excellent and highly reliable ignition system and is an upgrade over the Ford Duraspark. I wasn't aware of GM making any for Ford so I'm going to guess that what you have is a Davis DUI.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-31820bk/overview/make/ford

Personally, I'd leave it alone. Those taillights gotta go though.

Is the car an automatic? It looks like somebody replaced the stock CFI setup with a carb and a Davis DUI.

Nice looking '85 convertible.

For taillights I'd go with '87-'93 LX tails, '93 Cobra tails, or original '85-'86 tail lights unless you really like the ones on the car. They aren't to my taste but are better than the ugly cheesegraters that the '87-'93 GTs got from the factory.
    Last edited by frankiesaysrelax; 09-05-2015 at 06:37 PM.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James