Close

Default Good cam for 4bbl 84 GT?

A couple weeks ago I bought an 84 GT with roughly 95k miles and it's the first car (of hopefully many) I'm going to make my own. I'm trying to find parts that are suitable with this motor but every cam I see is for either 85 and up or 86 and up. Any recommendations? I don't really want a crazy thumper but a moderately mean idle would be nice, with a noticeable power gain of course. I think the motor is fairly untouched but it's definitely got a new Holley carb but I don't know the specific model and it also has BBK headers to about 5 inch glass packs, true dual. New heads and intake manifold are definitely coming as well. Any suggestions are welcome of course haha

You will want a good dual pattern flat tappet cam. Somewhere around 268 to 270 duration nothing over 500 lift.

Blog Entries

You might consider one of the cam and intake packages from edelbrock. Matched and ready to go.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

That engine is kind of a trick bag. The heads suck so it needs a little more duration, but the compression is so low you cannot really give it.

If it were mine on the cheap, I would mill the heads .040" and install the thinnest head gasket I could find.

Work with the timing curve I am sure it is real conservative.

Cam:
    217/224 @.050
    .494/.504
    109lsa
    103 icl

Might make a 5000 rpm peak

D9AE heads are real choked off of the exhaust side and I used E7 flow numbers. Maybe even 228 at .050"

This is all for the long block you have now. If you are doing a top end match the cam to those parts not the ones you have now.
    Last edited by Ethyl Cat; 08-17-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

I've read that the cam isn't so bad in the 84 5.0, its the heads. Maybe just getting a set of stock 87 and up 5.0 heads will open it up. So far on mine I've added an Edelbrock intake and a new 600 cfm Holley 4160, and it seems to have woken it up a little. (along with long tubes and true duals). I also have no emissions. Next year I might look into heads.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

For mine, a 89 roller block, ported E7 heads, E-cam, headers, 289 Torquer intake and 650 double pumped Holley carb. Woke up and was almost untouchable on the street, stop light to stop light.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gtstang View Post
    For mine, a 89 roller block, ported E7 heads, E-cam, headers, 289 Torquer intake and 650 double pumped Holley carb. Woke up and was almost untouchable on the street, stop light to stop light.
    My 83 back in the day was very similar. Built for good torque and snap off the line, it would walk an IROC no problem from light to light. Used a Comp Cams 268h, Performer 289 intake, holley 650 double pumper, 1" carb spacer, long tube headers with off road exhaust dumping at the rear axle, recurved distributor. It would scream to 5500 with 373 gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy 83.5 View Post
    My 83 back in the day was very similar. Built for good torque and snap off the line, it would walk an IROC no problem from light to light. Used a Comp Cams 268h, Performer 289 intake, holley 650 double pumper, 1" carb spacer, long tube headers with off road exhaust dumping at the rear axle, recurved distributor. It would scream to 5500 with 373 gears.
    I had a spacer too, still have it, I think it is aluminum and was something that would twist the air coming in form the carb, like a tornado. I forgot my equal length shorties, 3.73s, under drive pulleys, blueprint series distributor from accel with adjustable vacuum advance and recurved. I had the old defunct Wizard mufflers with built-in dumps for open exhaust with a twist of wing nuts and 1.7 roller rockers too. Who knows how much tuning and jetting.Very fun times!
    Last edited by 83gtstang; 08-18-2015 at 10:57 PM.

personally I like Crower Cams. if you want bark, may I suggest the 280hdp for a 351w. I love this cam, best flat tappet hydraulic I have ever run. better have a stick, and it has a fairly choppy idle.

Ethyl's numbers are pretty spot on…you want duration and a tight LSA. Useable (except for potentially valve springs) E7's can often be found dirt cheap & are a notable upgrade over the D8 heads. You get a smaller CC and nominally better flowing head off the bat. Take an hour an hour an grind out the exhaust bumps. Use long tube headers if you can and a straight-through type muffler.

If you're moving to aluminum heads, I'd make the addl. investment and go roller cam with link-bar lifters (easy to find used).

Intake choices for near-stock 302's is interesting. I'm not a fan of the Performer and the Stealth/ RPM, etc. seem to kill the low-end a bit (my observations in driving them w/ these parts). I think the old Weiand 7515 (X-celerator) single-plane intake is a great choice. Doesn't give up any low-end I've noticed and pulls hard in the upper RPM's. You will need a water neck w/ provision for the temp sensor though (or run a small cap on the Duraspark dizzy).

If it's a 5-spd, grab some 3.55 or 3.73 gears. For an AOD (did those come in '84's?…can't remember) roll 4.10's!
    '64 Comet
    ---
    No Fox's at present but an '82 GT or Notch is always a possibility - though hands are pretty full with the kids and Comet!