Close

Default Early clutch release..What is the cause?

My clutch now releases very close to the floor. I didn't adjust anything on clutch etc..I installed an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge on 1985 Capri RS. I know this should have nothing to do with clutch, but I don't know if maybe I unintentionally hit something while trying to feed temp gauge line through firewall or maybe bumped the clutch cable, but I don't think I did. But this did not start til after I installed temp gauge. This may just be a coincidence that it happened after that. Does anyone know what I should check because I don't think the clutch should engage and disengage that close to the floor. Thanks for any and all help.

Most likely you need to adjust your clutch quadrant on the clutch pedal itself.

Grab the clutch pedal itself inside the car and pull up on it as high as it will go. That should reset the quadrant and pawl to a new position and provide for a better release of the clutch.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I would take a quick look at the quadrant prior to adjusting like Trey speaks of just to make sure the plastic teeth aren't damaged.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I say go ahead and get an aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster, and use those with your original cable. Hopefully it will be fine after the pulling up on the pedal, but I'll bet that it's only a matter of time before it starts to malfunction again. A decent aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster should be well less than $100.

These cars use plastic 'gears,' actually called the pawl and quadrant, for the clutch pedal height adjustment mechanism, and they are easily stripped. I'm somewhat amazed that some of them survive as long as they do, but unfortunately, the pedal shaft assembly (which is some thick metal) bends over time and spreads the pawl and quadrant apart, causing them to be more easily stripped because of less material engaging/meshing.
    Dunno if the dealer still sells new pawl and quadrant assemblies, but I've bought them before, and they come with a whole new pedal shaft. They weren't much cheaper than the superior aftermarket pieces.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

thank you all. I was able to rest quadrant by pulling back on pedal. I am going to put an aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster on as suggested. Thank you all.

reset not rest.

Only get the firewall adjuster if you're going to get an aluminum quadrant to use with it.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.