Close

Default Has Anyone Watched the Space Station Go By?

At the right time, after dusk, or before dawn you can actually see the space station travel across the sky.
    Here is the link to get onto NASA's viewing times from any place on earth.

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sight...m#.VcxaiflViko

It looks like a airplane flying by without the blinking of the navigation lights.that was visible
    When the shuttle was operational that was visible to. I saw both at the same time one night.
    I got on this thought after watching satellites go by watching the Perseids meteor shower.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

The last man made satellites I remember looking for and seeing were the Echo's back in the early 60's. You didn't have to look hard to see them!

Ray, I'll bet you remember those. At that time interest in space was very high as we were in stiff competition with the Russkies. I also remember being glued to the TV watching the countdown for some of the first manned flights.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Mike, I don't remember the Echos, but I was at scout camp in 1969 when Apollo 11 landed.
    And I brought a small TV to work to watch the shuttle Columbia touchdown after it's first flight.
    The only launch I ever saw was from inside of a plane sitting on a taxiway at Orlando.
    Ray
    2A

Blog Entries

I used to love skywatching, before I moved places with too many streetlights to see anything. I miss it often. It saddens me a bit my kids have never really seen the night sky.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

FEP Power Member

Never saw a shuttle launch, saw a couple of landings. Even played music to entertain the media before a press conference after a shuttle landing. IIRC, it was the first shuttle mission after the Challenger exploded and it was during the '88 election. So Bush was there, the shuttle crew, and Chuck Yeager. Heard a LOT of landings living here. My house is in the flight path for when it landed out at Edwards. Nothing like being shocked out of bed at the crack of dawn by that distinctive double sonic boom.

Looks like the 20th is the best night to see the station from here this month.

Default US Space Force hires a horse

Ghost, a 5-year-old mustang. Most likely a 2 eye. If a 4 eye, well....

https://www.space.com/space-force-space-horse.html

Historic event today
    https://www.space.com/spacex-nasa-de...explained.html

Watch it on internet or TV
    https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasa...ex.html#public
    past owned daily driven many memorable times with all
    1967 Mustang 'verti Sports Sprint 289 Holley 4vC4 2.79 lime gold blk vinyl (6/70-4/73) 100k
    1970 VW 113 Beetle modded 1650 5200 2v 4sp Hurst 4.13 grn blk leathette (1973-1977) 200k
    1975 VW 1303 S Beetle LaGrande 1600 EFI 4sp Hurst 3.88 lime grn tan cloth (1977-1980) 90k
    1985 LTD LX 5.0 CFI HO AOD 3.27 gray gray (1987-1990) 75k
    1986 Ranger XL 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5 sp 3.45 gray burgundy cloth (1990-1994) 180k
    current owned now weekly driven totally enjoyed
    1979 Mustang Cobra 61R 2.3T Holley 2305 2v '92 T5 Hurst 3.45 black orange decals (7/80- )
    1993 Ranger XLT R103 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5sp Hurst 3.45 calypso green gray (3/94- )

Saw the space station a few times since it was built. Amazing we take for granted that people live in space. First comet I saw was Halley's comet. First thing I saw up close through a telescope besides the moon was Saturn.
    People always say that we waste money with anything space. I think they are wrong. I hope I'm still around to see man set foot on Mars. To watch on TV men walk on the moon was amazing, it's going to be even more amazing on Mars.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Haven't seen a splash down since the Apollo days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Default not perfect security at splashdown by far

This is bs. An outrage. Gawkers trying to limelight the historic event. No respect.
    No sense of danger, reality. A game. Prob tweeting look where i am. Fools looking for autographs?
    Too bad the chute lines did not break off their props. This was not a fireworks show. Selfish.
    Endangering recovery operations that costs tens of millions. Toxic chemicals in the air.
    There is a security and safety perimeter throughout every rocket mission. Airports too.
    Bet it will be different next time.
    The recovery ship's wake drove them off some. Good. Interesting engineering.

https://spacexfleet.com/go-navigator
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/2/21...lashdown-boats
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashdown

Name:  uvs200803-002.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  12.2 KB
    Last edited by gr79; 08-03-2020 at 03:14 PM.

FEP Supporter

I watched it too and thought to myself why the hell are all these civi's around and so close? Why wasn't, at the bare minimum, the Coast Guard there? You'd think that NASA would at least get that much respect since their guys were onboard.

They brought the whole deal to PNAS but didn't even get minimal security? Pretty weak if there really wasn't any federal assistance there.
    '85 GT

Default Give those pirates a shot across the bow

Any life jackets seen worn by the party dummies? Or gas masks? Ignorance of boating safety and endangering others.
    What happens when one crashes, has an accident, breaks down, or has a medical emergency in a scenario like that?
    Call the Coast Guard for rescue? They were very busy with a bigger task.

"The U.S. Coast Guard had cleared a 10-nautical-mile safe zone around the landing site, NASA and SpaceX officials said, but it was quickly breached. The Coast Guard said in a statement it had one 87-foot and one 45-foot ship near the landing site to try to enforce the protective area, but some boaters largely disregarded government warnings to stay clear."
    “With limited assets available and with no formal authority to establish zones that would stop boaters from entering the area, numerous boaters ignored the Coast Guard crews’ requests and decided to encroach the area, putting themselves and those involved in the operation in potential danger,” the Cost Guard said in a statement, adding that it would launch a “comprehensive review” of the operation with NASA and SpaceX.
    “We had all the clearance that was required at landing. That capsule was in the water for a good period of time and the boats just made a bee line for it,” Bridenstine said. “It’s a big area we have to clear and it’s probably going to take more resources. ... We need to do a better job next time for sure."

Technicians aboard the Go Navigator also briefly delayed opening the hatch because of a build-up of harmful fumes around the capsule. Mission controllers detected higher-than-appropriate amounts of “hypergolic fumes,” or fumes that could explode when coming in contact with one another. Tests found no toxic fumes inside the capsule.
    The hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide used Saturday are called hypergolic fluids, meaning they react violently when they come in contact with one another.

Nitrogen oxides (NO2, N2O4, N2O3 and N2O5) are irritating to the upper respiratory tract and lungs even at low concentrations. Only one or two breaths of a very high concentration can cause severe toxicity. Odor is generally an adequate warning property for acute exposures. Nitrogen dioxide is heavier than air, such that exposure in poorly ventilated, enclosed, or low-lying areas can result in asphyxiation.

Symptoms of acute (short-term) exposure to high levels of hydrazine may include irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, dizziness, headache, nausea, pulmonary edema, seizures, and coma in humans. Acute exposure can also damage the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system in humans.

I remember the girl announcing for Spacex about the civi boats, that making the splashdown site public was a mistake.
    Unlike NASA they had the capsule on board before the crew gets out.
    A cool fact, Bob Hurley was on the last shuttle mission.
    Ray
    2A

Yes!

It was towed past my home this morning.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Yes!

It was towed past my home this morning.
    Ok, that's just AWESOME! But I'm thinking more of setting it up in my mom's backyard as a playhouse for when her grandkids are over. She's been asking me to build them a tree house, but her one tree isn't suitable imo. Then the idea of some sort of platform came up, also issues with where she wants to put it. I think they'd really go nuts over something like that. But my 5 year old niece would try to talk me into painting it pink, she wants EVERYTHING pink.