Close

Thread: What EFI intake

FEP Senior Member

Default What EFI intake

I have a carbed 5.0 with a b cam, 40p heads, shorty headers.
    Thinking of going EFI. What would be a good Intake?
    Explorer, or aftermarket. Looking for gas mileage.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Explorer. They are way common and can be had cheap.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

i have had plenty different ones but i found my favorite to be the GT40 tubular.. but there pricey now..
    Name:  gt4000.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  32.8 KB

For gas mileage i vote explorer as well.
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

between the explorer intake and the GT40 tubular its all about cost & style. the difference in flow is no minimum that is unnoticeable.

I'm with Reactor on this one. I vote for Tubular GT40. Glad I bought mine a few years ago.
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...1008/overview/

Its similar to the factory 2002 5.6 liter 342 stroker intake manifold here,

and the top end specs are okay for well over 6000 grand with the 3.4" crank if the block is strong enough (the stock one isn't good past 6900 withthe roller rockers, and 7000 with the webbing), and 8000 with the 3" crank, or 335 hp net minimum in each case. .

Both the Showa GT40 tubular and Explorer is old mid 90's tech. The rare C code 1995 Cobra R 351W intake was an advance on it. The Saleen S-351 pushed the power to 371 hp, or 480hp (supercharged) but it hurts fuel economy and top end, the later special Trickflow type 5.0 stoker intakes were definately better.

US production development stopped when EECV came out, but the aftermarket stuff was replicated for much higher horspower and fuel economy restructions, still with 24 pound injectors.

The Aussies found that
    1. the stock Explorer intake is designed for 215/225/235 hp engines, and it wasn't real good at the 268 hp level, so
    2. they upgraded to the Showa GT40 Cobra intake. But then it never really made 268 hp well, so they upgraded everything else, which would take it to 295 hp with 1.7 roller rockers, gas flowerd GT40P heads, EDIS8, knockoff E303 cam. The top end was still restricted, the torque was still only 320 lb-ft, limited by the need to use a T5 trans.

The next step was
    3. an 82 mm throttle body and the 5.6 liter stocker T3 Tickford intake.

They would have added it to the 5.0, but it was replaced by the 5.4 3 valve in 2003, and the old pushrod Windsor would have been eaten alive for fuel economy and power with the Tickford/Trickflow Style intake manifold.

The Trickflow item probably needs bellmouths and some mild die grinder work, but right out of the box as it is, it would cope with an 82 mm tb, it'll fit the 90mm blueprint requirements okay.

Normally, a stroker produces less hp and lb-ft per cube, but the intake makes greater specfic power, so on a little 5.0, expect a well sorted 5.0 intake like this to make 320 hp and 345 lb-ft. With a more aggressive chip and better spark advance, you'd get great milage, and clip the 335hp/350 lb-ft level without hurting gass mileage.

FEP Senior Member

What a good lesson.
    I think for my application and wallet I will be acquiring some Explorer parts.
    This would have to be over a year off.
    This board and Corral are a wealth of info.

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

It really depends on what your intention is in the use of the car. If you're going to just use it as a fun car I'd go with a ported explorer. If it was more track oriented I'd go with a holley SMII or the TFS.
    I've actually got a TFS Box upper I just put on mine, haven't got it back in the car yet though
    I've been messing with the upper a little....my first post is #485 on this page
    http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...736593&page=33
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Explorer intakes are best bang for the buck and they are everywhere for now. Stock up.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gtstang View Post
    Explorer intakes are best bang for the buck and they are everywhere for now. Stock up.
    Yep, for sure. The Explorer item can be modified extensivley for more performance, two or three part numbers from 1996-1/2 to 2001.

The first GT40 were SVO batches made in the mid 80's, then Showa Aluminum Corporation ( a Honda supplier who also did cylider heads for Ford Australia) made the Aussie 1992 to 1997 intakes. All others look to be regular US Cleveland Windsor plant items with A50 or A51 suffix, but some were actual Chinese outsource according to some. In any case, the Exploder itemhas poorer flow unmodified, but extrde honed, it can eally do a fine job.

The Explorer part is good, but it does top out pretty quickly. It found its level at that 300 hp mark actually, not 268hp like I said earlier.

On an E7 headed engine, and still with 19 lb injectors, but still with a 60 mm MAF, 55mm throttle body, all the GT40 bits gave 248 hp, 23-33 hp more than stock. So its even more significant than the 4bbl from 2-bbl swap Ford did in 1983. A good budget mod for certain.

FPR’s statements install no confidence. (Significant horsepower increase with modified engine, airflow good up to 425 horsepower , accept no substitutes, this is the best manifold combination available).

If that is the case, why did Ford Australia waste its 10 month development budget on the superior Tickford (Trickflow style) intake manifold upper and lower for the 5.6 liter? On a 335 hp engine..

Anyway, the Explorer package gives you in one hit what takes you 5 part numbers to get from FPR, namely

the GT40 tubular Upper GT40 tubular (which is lighter at about 32 lbs all up ).A while back, it was around under part no M-6001-A50, but now you have to get the five parts that make that up separately;-

M-9424-A51 Upper GT40 tubular Intake Manifold
    M-9461-A50* Intake Manifold Lower
    M-9464-A50* Gasket EGR Spacer to Intake Manifold
    M-9486-A50* Gasket Intake Manifold Upper to Lower
    M-9933-A50* Gasket Throttle Body to Spacer

The other massaged US 5.0 versions we got down here showed the greatness of the GT40/Lightening/5.8/Explorer upper. Its lower varied, the high volume production Explorer has a lot of casting flash, but yea, its the low cost ticket to ride.

Here's the standard liberated figures, which stayed the same from 1992 to 1997. As a package,

268 bhp SAE Net @ 5250rpm and
    311 lb-ft at 4000 rpm
    with 9.0:1 compression ratio,
    GT40 heads (large valves, heavy-duty valve springs),

70mm MAF,
    65mm throttle body,
    24lb injectors,
    stock cam,
    1.7 roller rockers,
    tuned 4 into 1 1-5/8” headers,
    ECU calibrated for 24lb injectors

With a little work on the EPROM, you get 298 hp and 326 lb-ft. The last Synergy 5000 engines were roller rocker engines with GT40P heads gasflowed, aggressive E 303 type cam, and they were got for 295 hp and 320 lb-ft, but could go beyond that.

Aftermarket Edelbrock Victor Junior EFI Upper and lower Manifold is also very good.

Its all a matter of what you get for each dollar. For me, I'd look real close to what TrickFlow offers, and I wouldn't believe the marketing men, despite the brilliance of the GT40 product, its only good for 425 hp if its got nitrous somehwere, it tops out way sooner than 425, and a better 4-bbl carb system exceeds 390 hp with a 650 double pumper on a roller 5.0.