Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Power Member

Nice information, but at a $3000.00 dollars he won't even get past the engine budget!

YES, yes, yes! Product knowledge reduces cost.

I'm flat out smitten by these simple yet totally forgotten Medium Block psycho Cleveland.

To turbo it is dead easy, and there is space in the early pre EFI Foxes to fit it with relative ease

Its basically a follow on from the old Ak Miller Fox V8 turbo 255 XR7 Cougar conversions, lower right

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...4637-400M-swap and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxAuFvygPuI

The post 1978 351m and 400 engines are truely well worked out engines found in plenty of 78 to 82 Bronco's or F 150/250/350's.

See http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1002c...ngine-rebuild/

Asside from the tendancy to crack blocks on 71 to 77 model year 400 's and some 351M's, it is a stout engine.

Its not a 429 or 460, but it uses stock Windsor pickup points with a big block C6 trans pattern. Its got all the plusses of a small block, with a lot of the good parts of the 385 engines (really good, thick cylinder walls, historic parts backup from the early 70's Muscle Mustangs), and it doesn't have the Cleveland 351's cylinder wall splitting tendancies. I d say its actually the strongest turbo engine prospect, because it has all the 385 virtues wthout the 335 problems. Only ting its missing is bore spacing, but it alows the fitment of everything in the engine bay.

Ceck out Dan hix11 1982 F350 400 Ford Rebuild info for eveything on these simple, modern day Quasi Clevelands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoi...5OKFd71Me9uTpN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plLGNoEy2qo

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Asside from the tendancy to crack blocks on 71 to 77 model year 400 's and some 351M's, it is a stout engine.
    'Tis but a scratch...

A "tendency to crack blocks does not define a stout engine friend.

The only real advantage of the 335 series engines was their big canted valve heads vs the 302/351W heads (of that time.) Ever wonder why Ford didn't build a high RPM short stroke 302ci Cleveland for TransAm racing instead of using the good Cleveland heads on a 4-bolt Windsor block to make the Boss 302?

These days with a huge selection of outstanding Windsor heads available the 302/351w are the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by 82gt50 View Post
    'Tis but a scratch...

A "tendency to crack blocks does not define a stout engine friend.

The only real advantage of the 335 series engines was their big canted valve heads vs the 302/351W heads (of that time.) Ever wonder why Ford didn't build a high RPM short stroke 302ci Cleveland for TransAm racing instead of using the good Cleveland heads on a 4-bolt Windsor block to make the Boss 302?

These days with a huge selection of outstanding Windsor heads available the 302/351w are the best option.

Yeah, I like the Winsdor too. But if you can find a later 351m or 400, don't junk it.

The 351C was worse for cracking and had bore splitting issues the 351m and 400 didn't have, but its still a legand!

The Windsor back track to its inaugural year 351W 4V 1969 style performance was a stageringly long 26 year process that didn't even incude alloy heads.

The early 335 series blocks of all types tended to cracked due to its pick up of vibration form the combustion process. Typical problem with canted valve shallow chamber Cleveland heads.

The collective nauce of managment and engineers looked at the least cost solution that met the needs of customers. The 1968 Tunnel Port Windsor 289 block was actually stout as heck, and the decision to slap Cleveland heads on a 289 HP or Tunnel Port block for the 69 TRANSAM Boss 302 was the right thing. Its 470 pounds verses the 569 pound 351C 4V, and Ford then made the Yates A3 alloy heads fit it, and then the new M-6015-302 blocks. It was an engine that never really died.

Come gas crunch and the withdrawl from racing, the evergreen, smooth, and detonation free Windsor 302 and 351 were then given a shot in the arm in early 1979 when Henry Ford II had to do the long range plan for CAFE compliance reasons. He killed the remaining 335 series truck engine production by late 1982, and in Australia in late 1982.

The heads created block stability issues in the 351C in race conditions, and the Winsdor was fortified but it took from 1982 to 1985 for Alan Root / Kenny Duttweiler AR Inc PRO 1 alloy heads of the late 80's before it got any action. The 170 cc # M-6049-J302's were the result.

I've given the evidence of the Cleveland engines detonation prone, harsh ways, primarily because of combustion chamber design. This produced block fretting that only the 351M and 400 had eliminated. Cleveland heads are crack prone too, but so were the blocks.

This thread was a year old. I wonder if he ever made up his mind lol

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post

Well for some it was Fore Sale
    Home
    Forum
    Classifieds
    Cars For Sale, Wanted, or Trade
    FS: 1979 Mustang cobra

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...30#post1760630

However, as of 02-21-2016, TheRealJZ94 is being well informed by others on the axle, so I guess he's keeping it as a Toy and Fun Car, not a daily deal

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...nd-Suggestions

You'll not walk away ignorant or uninformed! Take or leave the info on turboing a V8..it'll help someone!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Don't really care, but I at least dispelled the myths

1. block will split at 500 hp and

2.All of these engines were loaded down with primitive, first generation smog controls throughout out their entire production run.

3.Ford never produced a "high performance" version of this engine.

4.All 351M/400's were only available with a 2BRL carburetor.

5.Most 351/400's were fitted with severely retarded timing chains and camshafts to help meet stringent pollution control standards.

6.The 351M/400 engines have "thin wall" castings and can not be safely over-bored beyond .040".

7.All 351M/400's have problems with cracked blocks and heads.

8.All 351M/400's have crankshaft oiling problems because Ford enlarged the main journals from 2.75" on the 351C to 3.0" on the 351M/400 but did not decrease the size of the oil galleries leading up into the top of the engine to properly balance the oil pressure.

9.It is impossible to build these engines for high horsepower due to inherent design flaws.

10.They weigh more than the 429/460.

11. They make great boat anchors.

I will dispel myth 2 ANYTIME I get a chance. It had the most advanced engine system in the world, and was mounted in a gad danged truck engine bay.

Ford gave birth the the 100% reliable external mounted 3 wire Hall Effect sensor with DuraSpark 3/EEC3, and the idle control DC stepper motor used on VV7200's and MC2150E's.

This was a California 351M/ 400 "335" engine thing initially, not the Carb Windsor 4.2/5.0/5.8, which got greatly simplified systems for 82/83.

32 pin ECM, B-MAP sensors, CPS, etc

And the 145, 174 and 163 hp H and G code VV7200 351 Windsor was likewise managed the same, but with less advanced control all the years the PALTRY 138 HP 351M was made.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12