Close

Default Need Some Help - 84 2.3 Turbo Transplant to 80 Capri

I'm getting ready to put a 84 Turbo 2.3 / 5 spd in a 80 Capri. The Capri was a 2.3 non turbo with a 4 spd. Looking for some input on the wiring. Should I be looking for a 83/84 turbo engine harness and ECU? I've seen stand alone harnesses on Ebay that can use 83-86 turbo ECUs or 87-88 TC ECU but they're expensive. Give me some suggestions for what you would do please.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

that Ron Francis kit (also available from Stinger-performance) is likely your best bet. While expensive you'll at least know the wiring isn't brittle or broken and it has the relays for the fuel pump that your 80 Capri (and any 83/84 wiring harness) won't come with. Plus you won't spend weeks trying to find one that isn't a pile of split wires.

ECU wise, you need to know what VAM and injectors you have and match it to that. Or buy a complete VAM, EEC, injector set.

Good luck with the swap.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Personally, I wouldn't use the stock engine management and harness. I'd use a MegaSquirt and build my own harness. Then again, I'm not afraid of that kind of thing.

Other than that, ccurtin has good suggestions on using the stock stuff, and what to do about the ECU and ancillary components.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I wouldn't mess with a stock harness if I didn't have to. I had two week in splicing and repairing the harness in my svo.
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

Thanks guys for the helpful advice. So, my biggest drawback with the aftermarket harnesses was the price. Honestly, I wasn't married to the idea of putting the turbo 2.3 in the car. I agreed with the AM harness being the way to go. I figured if that was the way to go, I'd rather have a V8. So today I came across a low mileage 87 LX 5.0 (wrecked). As far as the drive train goes, it's completely stock - still speed density. No butchered wires, aftermarket parts at all. Car is a automatic which I'll be going with T5 instead. Now, my plan is to transplant everything into the Capri, even the wiring as it's in great condition. I'd convert it to MAS air as a post build project.
    What I've been looking for is a thread that gives more info on adapting the 87 dash harness to work with the 80 cluster. Any advice or direction to another thread would be appreciated.

I think that changing the direction I'm going probably takes the thread out of this category but thought it would be best to update it here.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

I would recommend starting a new thread in reference to your new direction. This thread as is may be helpful to others when considering a swap such as your original intentions. So rather than move it due to your new direction, I would leave it here and others can add to it if they feel the need.

Good Luck with your swap!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

For the 2.3t swap, you can use a wiring harness out of any 87-89, 90, 91-93 4 cylinder mustang. I separated the years because these harnesses have slightly different connections to the main body harness. You need to swap a few pins at the ecu plug, add the Vam plug to the 4 cylinder harness, and probably a few other steps. It should be fairly simple. Then you would need to connect the 87-up engine harness to the 4 eyed body harness. Again, shouldn't be too hard.
    Most swap how to's are for the 87-88 tbird ecu and vam's because these are plentiful and offer a lot power

You can go to rothfam.com or to stinger performance to find info on what needs to be done for the swap.