Close

Default Rebuilding CFI from 84 LX 5.0

I finally got around to pulling the throttle body today. I took the fuel injectors over to a local guy that flow tests and cleans them. Ill have them back in a few days.

I bought a rebuild kit from Standard Parts and it comes with everything as well as great instructions and diagram. One thing is the main gasket that goes on the bottom of the throttle body is much too thin. Im gonna have to reuse the original.

Attachment 88506Attachment 88507

Im wondering if I can, or should use the two paper thin gaskets on top and bottom of the original one?

Also, I picked up a Standard fuel pressure regulator and it doesn't look the same as the Bosch that came out of the unit. Should I use the new one? Put the old one back in? Or try to find an original Bosch? The number on the Bosch is
    0280 160 211
    E0SE 96968 AC
    443 B

Attachment 88508Attachment 88509

Googled and found nothing on those numbers.

The numbers on my fuel injectors is E4ZE-CA
    Seems very generic, cant find specific info on the injectors either. I was hoping to locate a new pair or NOS as backups.

Don't confuse that thick spacer with the thinner insulating gasket. That kit services multiple applications.
    Cars like my '85 Vert have the spacer cast as part of the manifold, and would use that thinner insulator
    gasket. Yours uses the two paper gaskets on either side of the spacer. You just need to clean the old
    ones off of the spacer.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Don't confuse that thick spacer with the thinner insulating gasket. That kit services multiple applications.
    Cars like my '85 Vert have the spacer cast as part of the manifold, and would use that thinner insulator
    gasket. Yours uses the two paper gaskets on either side of the spacer. You just need to clean the old
    ones off of the spacer.
    Whats your opinion on the fuel pressure regulator? Should I re use the old one or use the new one

FEP Power Member

The new fuel pressure regulator should work if everthing fits right. Sometimes the look of it may be different due to manufacturing differences or patent concerns from the aftermarket manufacturer. You can't go wrong if you decide to go with Bosch however.

Quote Originally Posted by 84GT350CONV View Post
    The new fuel pressure regulator should work if everthing fits right. Sometimes the look of it may be different due to manufacturing differences or patent concerns from the aftermarket manufacturer. You can't go wrong if you decide to go with Bosch however.
    Id love to get a new Bosch but I could not find a replacement

I got my fuel injectors back today. had them done by SFI in Rockville Centre NY.
    Nice guy, he let me hang out and watch while he ran the flow test and cleaning. Charged me 40 bucks for two injectors.

Attachment 88621Attachment 88622

I cleaned and wire brushed my throttle body. Im thinking of clear coating it before I reassemble it.

I reassembled my throttle body this morning. I cleaned the whole thing up with carb cleaner and a wire wheel. It looks like a new carb now.

I re used the old Bosch fuel pressure regulator. I'll keep the Standard as a back up in case.

Heres some pics of how it came out.

The 3 screws holding the fuel pressure reg were rusty and the heads were stripping so I replaced with stainless screws.
    Attachment 88639

Here's the top half all cleaned up and a new stainless screw for the harness
    Attachment 88640

Some pics of it installed on the intake again
    Attachment 88641Attachment 88642Attachment 88643

Hopefully it will run nicer now that the O rings are new and the injectors are cleaned out.

I had some leftover parts from my rebuild kit. Wondering what these are for?

Attachment 88644