Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    86caprirs

Default How rare is the CC and whats the value?

I am looking to pic up a CC and it needs restored. Now how rare are these cars? I am trying to figure out if it is worth more to keep it all stock and just restore it or if I can restomod it with a coyote swap and six speed trans? If it is worth more money to keep it stock I may do that but I can not find a lot of info of production numbers. Then I am wondering how hard it is to find parts for the car like interior/exterior?

805 produced. I don't know what the value is since most Capri's aren't price the same as Mustangs. If it is a v6 car... do the swap. Oh hell, I'd do the swap anyway.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

According to Marti Auto Works, there were 1363 Crimson Cats made.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

86caprirs

How many made it to Canada?

The only CC number that we know is total production.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

They don't seem to carry much more value (if any) from a regular Capri. Honestly, you'll get more for it with the Coyote swap than you would if it was all stock.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    They don't seem to carry much more value (if any) from a regular Capri. Honestly, you'll get more for it with the Coyote swap than you would if it was all stock.
    Just don't expect to make money on the deal.

Probably wouldn't even break even in the event of a sale truth be told.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

86caprirs

That's kind of disappointing. I figured that a Crimson cat, black magic or even the white lightning would be worth lots of money. I mean they are rare but I guess not rare enough. I have a 84 RS nose and a 80 fox hatch and bumper that I was going to save for a Capri project like a 4 cyl or V6 car. But if the Crimson cat isn't really sought after then I guess I could do what I want to with it without hurting it value.

It's not the rarity that hurts their value, it's the lack of desirability among anyone other than us that is the big factor. Most people have never heard of, or don't remember the Capri at all, let alone a special edition Capri. The fact that there wasn't any performance mods done to the CC or BM's is another factor that will hurt their value in the long run. When it comes to Capri special editions I think the GPIV's and euro ASC's will be the ones to collect, followed by the regular ASC's...then BM's and CC's.

If it was me I would keep it stock, but that's because I prefer stock cars. If you want a Coyote swapped CC than I say go for it. Treys right, because the swap will cost a bunch of money and these cars aren't bringing much in excellent condition, you will lose a lot if you decide to sell...but projects like that aren't really done for a return on your investment, they are done because they are fun and because you want an amazing car when your finished. As long as that's your reasoning behind the build you won't regret anything and you will have an awesome car.

I think until fox Mustang values go up there isn't much hope for the Capri, but that's ok...more for us!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

86caprirs

That's too bad. I am a huge Capri fan. I owned a 79 5.0L RS, 81 2.8L GS, (2) 84 5.0L RS and a 86 5.0L RS. I love the Capri's and always have. I don't care about resale value on the CC but more worried that I will ruin the rarity of the car. I like cars that are stock also but if I have the chance to take a CC t-top and make it into something cool like a coyote swap and a 6 speed with upgraded brakes yet keep the exterior stock CC.....I think that would be fun. Hell I would do the same thing to a 79
    Pace car but I know I would be hung for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 86caprirs View Post
    That's too bad. I don't care about resale value on the CC but more worried that I will ruin the rarity of the car. I like cars that are stock also but if I have the chance to take a CC t-top and make it into something cool like a coyote swap and a 6 speed with upgraded brakes yet keep the exterior stock CC.....I think that would be fun.
    As stated "Rare Does Not Mean Desirable". 1363 cars is not all that rare in the big scheme of things. Besides as cars become more desirable and therefore more valuable there ALWAYS seem to be 2-5 cars of anything with this number of production that come out of the woodwork that are beautiful ORIGINAL low mileage cars that have been stored for years so why worry about modifying a turd or one that needs restored?

Consider the collector car market TODAY. Now in the generations of cars before ours restored cars have taken a back seat dollar wise to modified cars. By modified I mean as in Stock exterior appearance with Modern mechanics and drive ability. Resto-Mod is way over used and I personally think that "phrase" in no way describes a stock appearing car with modern mechanics and upgrades. Just another BS reality TV slang term.

Example: A restored 69 basic V8 Camaro is killed at $25K-$30K. Throw in the same car a LS engine, T56 transmission, modern suspension and interior and you have a $60K car. The exterior appearance is the same with the possible exception of the wheel/tire combination. Yes the LS engine car car costs a lot more to build. Let's say it could cost even $30K more the modified car will sell 5 times quicker in today's market. The market for nothing special restored cars has dropped considerably in the last 5 years. People want to DRIVE their old cars and want the drive ability and comfort of their modern daily driver. Another great example are vintage Mustangs. Modern convenience's and drive ability is what NOW brings the bucks in those cars.

I am amazed the number of people on this site that remove the A/C from their car because it does not work. FIX IT!!! By removing the A/C or not repairing the A/C all you are doing is DE-VALUING your car to the next buyer! At least you are to me if I am the next buyer. None working A/C is a $500 deduct as that's what you "might" expect to spend to get it working for parts and labor. The reality is that repairing the A/C system on the Foxbody car is not difficult and rarely requires more than a new accumulator, orifice tube, replacement of 9 O rings and a proper re-charge to get the system blowing ice cubes once again.

All of this also depends on the quality of the work done in the completion of the modified car however my example above assumes the same car with the same top notch cosmetics for the comparisons.

The number of buyer's out there looking for pristine restored cars in the lower price cars such as any Mustang/Capri has significantly shrunk. This change in the want's of today's buyer's is very obvious when yo go to as many collector car auctions/events as I do all across the country and see what sells and what does not sell!

I say Hell Ya build the Coyote Crimson Cat. Build a NICE car and you will pleasantly surprised how much money that car WILL sell for when that time comes to move on. And one thing is for certain. That time to move on will eventually come!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 07-29-2015 at 05:24 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I'm with Mike!

Mike

Stock appearing body and interior with a modified or swapped engine (modern ford), suspension, and brakes gets a from me.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Besides as cars become more desirable and therefore more valuable there ALWAYS seem to be 2-5 cars of anything with this number of production that come out of the woodwork that are beautiful ORIGINAL low mileage cars that have been stored for years so why worry about modifying a turd or one that needs restored?
    Bingo! When my car started getting age on it, I felt bad about modifying it but at the same time I know where an identical car is in perfect condition with 10k miles on it that could be bought for $10,000. That 10k mile car would always be worth more money than my car if I did a restoration on mine, and that would cost me well more than $10,000 anyway.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

86caprirs

Thanks guys

My car is rare (but again, not sought-after) too, but I tore it apart first chance I got. DO IT. If you go the Coyote route, I'm very jealous!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

86caprirs

I will keep you guys posted. Right now the car has sat for 10 years. I am just making sure the body and interior are in good shape and mostly intact. The engine/trans/diff/brakes will all be swapped with modern Ford Mustang parts.

Not to jack a thread but what about 82 white black magics with a 5.0
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

"Yeah Baby Feel That Pure Power"
    Capri:
    Is a Mustang With Hips And Class

That's too bad. I am a huge Capri fan. I owned a 79 5.0L RS, 81 2.8L GS, (2) 84 5.0L RS and a 86 5.0L RS. I love the Capri's and always have. I don't care about resale value on the CC but more worried that I will ruin the rarity of the car. I like cars that are stock also but if I have the chance to take a CC t-top and make it into something cool like a coyote swap and a 6 speed with upgraded brakes yet keep the exterior stock CC.....I think that would be fun. Hell I would do the same thing to a 79
    Pace car but I know I would be hung for that.
    Build what you want and drive the heck out of it. Don't worry about resale value or collect-ability, the truth is that for the vast majority of our beloved Foxes neither will be very high IMHO.

The issue the Fox Mustang & Capri have is that they were a reasonably priced hot rod. They were the best bang for the buck back in the day and still are in many way today. Unfortunately IMHO they will as a whole always be viewed as inexpensive hot rods that are cheap and easy to build. This doesn't help them to move up in value IMHO. There are still a ton of Foxes out there and many still view them as throw away cars when they are a bit rusty, damaged, etc.
    Obviously the members here feel differently and would love to save them all, but even for the number of members we have it won't make a huge impact in the overall value of these cars.

As stated already even the old "classic" Mustangs have dropped in values from their highs many years ago. The very collectible models such as the Bosses, Shelbys, etc. are still bringing good money, but nothing like they did years ago. The baby boomers that were flush with cash and looking to relive their youth are the ones that drove the values through the roof. Those of us that grew up with the Foxes haven't had the same money success that the Baby Boomers did, so I don't ever see the same thing happening for the Foxes. The good thing is that with the values staying relatively affordable means we have the option and ability to buy several Foxes and enjoy more than just one if the fever hits!

So again I say build what you want! Don't worry about what others might think or want. None of my Foxes are stock and I doubt I will ever own one that is. It's just not what excites me. Others love the stock all original cars and that is great. Give me the old run down abused Foxes and I will rebuild it into a modern hot rod with a few tricks thrown in.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I actually think if you build a coyote, 6-speed CC and drive the heck out if it, take it to shows, etc. You will end up "raising awareness" (for the lack of a better phrase) for the Capri and especially the CC. People will be so taken aback by your resto-mod that it will lead to questions, people posting pics of it online, and others wanting to build a cool car like that, which has Mustang DNA but isn't a Mustang. Take a look at 69Clarks 1979 Indy Pace Car if you want some inspiration. That car draws a crowd and a ton of comments everytime someone sees it. Maybe you could do the same thing for the Capri?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

86caprirs

So update. The guy with the CC has not contacted me in a while. I have been calling and sending emails and he is ignoring me. I know his wife is making him sell it so maybe he is just ignoring peoples calls and emails so he does not have to sell it. But yesterday I bought a 1983 Capri L with a 3.8L/auto. The car is a one owner. The interior is red and absolutely mint right down to the cargo cover. The body is very nice with minimal rust (grey in color) with a sunroof. I drove it last night with the wife. The suspension is like riding on a cloud it's so soft. This was owned by an old man that dies and he took very good care of it. Pics will come soon.

A story of a mint condition Capri without any pictures! What the Heck!

Sounds like a great buy! Sorry to hear about the CC owner not cooperating.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    A story of a mint condition Capri without any pictures! What the Heck!

Sounds like a great buy! Sorry to hear about the CC owner not cooperating.

Trey
    Yeah, what the heck!!!
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

So update. The guy with the CC has not contacted me in a while. I have been calling and sending emails and he is ignoring me. I know his wife is making him sell it so maybe he is just ignoring peoples calls and emails so he does not have to sell it. But yesterday I bought a 1983 Capri L with a 3.8L/auto. The car is a one owner. The interior is red and absolutely mint right down to the cargo cover. The body is very nice with minimal rust (grey in color) with a sunroof. I drove it last night with the wife. The suspension is like riding on a cloud it's so soft. This was owned by an old man that dies and he took very good care of it. Pics will come soon.
    Wait... He hasn't contacted you, but you drove it last night? Did you steal it?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast