Close

Thread: trans swapped

Angry trans swapped

Hi, I recently purchased a 82 gt. The previous owner swapped the trans from a 4 speed manual to a world class t5 Speedometer doesn't work or odometer. Where should I begin to start to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks

See if the cable is connected at the transmission. You could disconnect it and see if the driven gear is on the end of the cable, and if there's a drive gear on the tailshaft (shine a light in the hole). If that's all good, then pull the gauge cluster, and see if the cable spins when the car moves.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

If it doesn't have a cable you can pick one up from almost any online parts store pretty cheap (I think I paid $15) which is good since they're also pretty easy to snap. The cable "plugs in" to the transmission near the tach plugs