Close

Default 1993 Convertible Seat Recline?

Hey gang....on my '93 LX Summer Feature, the seatbacks will not recline....they have a stop feature built in and at their furthest point back, I am just not happy At 6'1" I like to recline back a couple inches. Does anyone know of a modification that can be done to the late fox vert seats to eliminate this recline "stopper"?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

It's funny you mention that Jason, I had the exact same problem on my '91 GT convertible. It just so happened I needed to replace my seats anyway(frame was snapped/minor holes in upholstery), so I installed these beautiful 8000 mile seats out of a '91 GT hatchback-- problem solved! The only difference was the seatbelt loops needed to be transferred from the conv seats.

I can't imagine you'll be changing the near-NOS seats in the Feature car anytime soon, but the bracketry from a hatchback might transfer over.

You could probably just swap out the recliner mechanism. I had a 90 GT convertible and never noticed that they were different. Weird.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Hoping somebody has an easy fix to this? I'm gonna pull out one of the seats this winter and see what I can figure out if not.

And you are correct....changing out seats is not an option since they are still brand new
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I have a similar situation with my convertible seats. I have an 84 convert and the passenger seat always flops forward when I stop short. I tried a used recliner from an e bay seller but it did the same thing.

I found another ebay seller that has recliners from later model Mustang converts and it also only reclines back one notch but the locking mechanism actually does work. I decided to keep it because I like the seats to lock properly but I too and wondering if I can tweak or adjust the one notch recline.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Hoping somebody has an easy fix to this? I'm gonna pull out one of the seats this winter and see what I can figure out if not.

And you are correct....changing out seats is not an option since they are still brand new
    If you decide to change the recliner I have one for a low back. It reclines but doesnt lock.

OK...i gave up on this. I took my DS seat apart yesterday, removed the upholstry rods that hold the fabric onto the seat back frame so I could remove the recliners. I studied until I was blue in the face, even tried drilling out a couple studs that look like they could be the limiter. Got it back together (twice over about 3 hours) and still no luck. While putting the seat back in, in a "I give up" kind of mood, I struck gold! The front seat studs are long enough to add about 1" of shim with some fender washers. This leans the seat bottom back a bit (which is more comfortable to me) and puts the seat back in a bit more reclined position...JUST about to the point of hitting the rear interior speaker panel. So I basically could have solved this issue in 5 minutes per seat
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 03-07-2016 at 11:08 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Power Member

I use seat track extenders for increased leg room. Available from most suppliers.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Nice that you were able to find a solution. Unlike the coupe or hatchback, seats in a vert will never fully recline due to the top well, but it will be nice to be able to recline more than the standard 1" that Ford offered in the Aero vert.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I use seat track extenders for increased leg room. Available from most suppliers.
    Leg room was not the problem...I don't like sitting in an a near upright position.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey