Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Capri-Magic View Post
    Before this rear end install, I had swapped rear axles before, so the inside of a carrier wasn't foreign to me, but I definitely needed instruction on backlash, pinion pre-load, etc.

Thats exactly what I was talking about. I have a couple of gears and a carrier I would like to swap myself and I still dont feel comfortable doing it. Thanks for the link though.
    This was my first time and I convinced myself to do it by thinking about how much money I can save, now and in the future, if I can swap my own gears.

But if money was no object, I'd have no problem letting someone do it.

Sean
    Light Regatta Blue 1986 Mustang GT 5sp - bone stock....block and rotating assembly.

Update: went to the track, ran once then it rained

Wasn't sure the Mickey Thompson ET Streets were going to hook well since they've been sitting in a garage for years, so I launched at 3k for my first run, they grabbed and the car bogged, to a 1.88 sixty foot. Ran a 12.3 @ 114. With a good sixty, she definitely has 11s coming! Literally started raining as I passed the traps. Such a tease, would have loved to get a few more runs in.
    Light Regatta Blue 1986 Mustang GT 5sp - bone stock....block and rotating assembly.

Slip:

Name:  slip.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  20.3 KB

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Sweet! That thing is making some power!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Member

Congrats.

Update - took it to the track Wednesday - got 2 runs in. This was the better of the 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRrNcB3ywIY
    Edit - not sure why it's sideways. 11.95 @ 116.
    Name:  IMG_1986.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  79.7 KB

Saw you heading that way I think.

Runs Good!!
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Thanks Steve. I got treed hard on that run and I thought my 60 was garbage.

Any updates on this car? How are the street manners? I'm about to copy your set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyl Cat View Post
    Dynomation has it at 352@ 6200 and 336@5000
    Here is a question for you. How much would it have made with a stock cam?

My total guess: 304rwhp and 320rwtq.

Since we're reviving this thread, I have a question as well on this engine combo. Is the piston to valve clearance with that big lift cam on this flat top piston 86 engine achieved solely by the 11R heads or do the timing events of the cam come into play here as well? I ask because I'm looking at a pretty nice 86 but have always been warned away in the past because of the 86 5.0 engine package. Congrats btw on some pretty stout numbers both on the dyno but more so at the track!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 85hardware View Post
    Here is a question for you. How much would it have made with a stock cam?

My total guess: 304rwhp and 320rwtq.
    292hp and 310tq
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Quote Originally Posted by johnny5.0 View Post
    Since we're reviving this thread, I have a question as well on this engine combo. Is the piston to valve clearance with that big lift cam on this flat top piston 86 engine achieved solely by the 11R heads or do the timing events of the cam come into play here as well? I ask because I'm looking at a pretty nice 86 but have always been warned away in the past because of the 86 5.0 engine package. Congrats btw on some pretty stout numbers both on the dyno but more so at the track!!!
    11r heads provide much more clearance than other heads because of the revised valve angle. This means you can run a much more aggressive cam or mill the heads a ton.

Ethyl Cat, what would it have made on stock heads and cam?

11r heads provide much more clearance than other heads because of the revised valve angle. This means you can run a much more aggressive cam or mill the heads a ton.

Ethyl Cat, what would it have made on stock heads and cam?
    Stock power? Not sure if I get what you are looking for here.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Stock power? Not sure if I get what you are looking for here.
    I guess Im curious how much extra power these are worth over standard 170 twisted wedge heads with a stock cam and all else optimized.

I guess Im curious how much extra power these are worth over standard 170 twisted wedge heads with a stock cam and all else optimized.
    Oh, ok. I will look tonight. The intake ports flow about the same up to .400" then the 11r takes off, so with the cam being stock, airflow might only amount to a couple hp only if the cross sections are similar.

If the 190 11r is bigger in the CSA (most likely is with the bigger 2.055 intake valve) then the 170 would most likely do better on the street using a stock cam. The ability to create compression with the 11r might help offset that some. Rock got his 10 10.4 and could have possibly gone higher.

We will find out...
    Last edited by Ethyl Cat; 04-26-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Oh, ok. I will look tonight. The intake ports flow about the same up to .400" then the 11r takes off, so with the cam being stock, airflow might only amount to a couple hp only if the cross sections are similar.

If the 190 11r is bigger in the CSA (most likely is with the bigger 2.055 intake valve) then the 170 would most likely do better on the street using a stock cam. The ability to create compression with the 11r might help offset that some. Rock got his 10 10.4 and could have possibly gone higher.

We will find out...
    17 rwhp is my guess. Thanks!

We will find out...
    Hey Ethyl Cat, if it's not too much trouble, could you run the OP's combo with an RPM Air Gap and Demon 650dfdp carb set up? Suggestions on a better intake/carb setup would be welcomed as well. Also, is it because of the 11R heads altered valve arrangement that the 7.2" pushrods are required?
    Cheers and thanks to the OP for inspiring a new build!!
    Last edited by johnny5.0; 04-26-2016 at 11:04 AM.

I no longer have the OP's complete cam specs but I will get it close.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

17 rwhp is my guess. Thanks!
    14hp and 9lb/ft difference with stock cam at the crank

11hp and 8lb/ft at the tire.

This assumes a 90% throat for both intake valve. (2.7 in2 vs 2.6 in2)
    Last edited by Ethyl Cat; 04-26-2016 at 05:48 PM.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

14hp and 9lb/ft difference with stock cam at the crank

11hp and 8lb/ft at the tire.

This assumes a 90% throat for both intake valve. (2.7 in2 vs 2.6 in2)
    Interesting. What do you think the power difference between these two heads would be with an optimized HR cam?

You're an asset to the community.

Interesting. What do you think the power difference between these two heads would be with an optimized HR cam?
    I think at that point it's kinda apple and oranges. Yes, they are both aluminum aftermarket performance heads, but they serve two different purposes. If I did not have the ability to build a head for an application and I relied on off the shelf parts for a build, I would not use them both for the same application.

Am I going to tell somebody they need to spent $500 more to get that 11hp to the tire with a stock cam if all they want is a decent upgrade in performance? Probably not. I would however recommend an optimized cam for that application that would gain 20-30 more hp and improve drivability for a couple hundred less. Better investment.

If I had to build say, a 363 cid small block for the street that wanted to spin to 6500+ rpm, the 170 head would not even be on my radar. If the 170 head was already purchased, I would have to set it up like a 190 11r head (bigger valve and cross sections) and cam it appropriately. Hope this makes sense.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

I think at that point it's kinda apple and oranges. Yes, they are both aluminum aftermarket performance heads, but they serve two different purposes. If I did not have the ability to build a head for an application and I relied on off the shelf parts for a build, I would not use them both for the same application.

Am I going to tell somebody they need to spent $500 more to get that 11hp to the tire with a stock cam if all they want is a decent upgrade in performance? Probably not. I would however recommend an optimized cam for that application that would gain 20-30 more hp and improve drivability for a couple hundred less. Better investment.

If I had to build say, a 363 cid small block for the street that wanted to spin to 6500+ rpm, the 170 head would not even be on my radar. If the 170 head was already purchased, I would have to set it up like a 190 11r head (bigger valve and cross sections) and cam it appropriately. Hope this makes sense.
    I see what you're saying. They are about $400 more than regular TFS heads and that money could be spent on a cam...though adding the cam also requires new lifters and a timing set ($300 minimum).

In my opinion the 11r seems to have made the 170 heads obsolete....if it weren't for that $400 dollar price difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12