Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HCI 302 Dyno Results

Hi guys,

Just finished up my car a couple weeks ago, got it tuned today - I wasn't actually there but the tuner texted me a sheet and numbers. It made 350RWHP @ 5900 and 341RWTQ at 5050. Here is the dyno sheet - sorry about the qualify, phone pic of a computer monitor.

The parts:

-Bone stock 1986 bottom end/block
    -Trick Flow 190 11R Heads - 56cc - compression ~10.4:1, 7.2" Chromoly Trick Flow Pushrods, Comp Pro Magnum 1.6 rockers, same springs/locks/retainers/seals that came on the heads
    -Holley Systemax 2 Intake - lower ported by Matt Moss, upper TB inlet opened to 80mm by me - 80mm BBK throttle body.
    -Homemade 102mm air intake pipe/MAF in one - Ethyl Cat welded it up for me - thanks, Steve.
    -FTI Cam - lift in the .580s, duration in the 220s, LSA 111. Had it in my last car and it drove perfect, good vacuum, very streetable (THANKS ED!)
    -MAC 1-3/4" Longtube Headers
    -Dr.Gas O/R X Pipe
    -Dynomax Ultraflow Mufflers - 2.5"
    -4.10 rear end gears - installed myself

95% of the car was built by me in the garage - had a local shop install the cam since financially it was more feasible than doing it myself (no tools for it) and they are a very reputable shop that builds race engines. The gears were a first-time venture for me, so the fact that it doesn't whine and the install was a success - I'm very happy. Can't wait to drive this baby! Due to the amount of PTV clearance these heads have, I could have upped the compression some more, but decided against it in order to keep by DCR in the street-friendly range.

Car was tuned by Bob Monks (aka Bobcat) in Leadington, MO at his shop STL Mustangs. Very good people there!
    Light Regatta Blue 1986 Mustang GT 5sp - bone stock....block and rotating assembly.

Impressive numbers! Peak torque is pretty high, will probably match well with the 4.10's.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

FEP Member

Very nice numbers.

Looks good!
    How about a write up on the gear install. I cant find a good write up anywhere!!

Thanks for all the nice words, guys!

For gears, I followed Ford Motorsports' write up for most of it, but you can sort of pick and choose what tech you need. For instance, some write-ups insist on new seals on everything, whereas I reused all seals and my pinion bearing, quiet as a mouse, not whining, etc. For backlash setting, and torque specs, etc., this one is pretty good: https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...htM-4209-8.pdf

Before this rear end install, I had swapped rear axles before, so the inside of a carrier wasn't foreign to me, but I definitely needed instruction on backlash, pinion pre-load, etc.
    Light Regatta Blue 1986 Mustang GT 5sp - bone stock....block and rotating assembly.

That is awesome! Love the fact that you did almost all the work yourself. Ethyl Cat (Steve) designed my cam based on my set-up. Going to dyno in a couple of weeks to get it all dialed in. No where near what you have for HP although a ton of low-end grunt.

Dynomation has it at 352@ 6200 and 336@5000
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Rock4451 numbers, not yours Ruffi

Great work Rock by the way
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Thanks, guys. Now to figure out how to keep my headers from scorching my clutch cable. It's getting hot down by the collector and where the cable runs through the bell housing hole.

I'll likely keep it wrapped in header wrap/hi temp heat deflection tape and fabricate a bracket to hold the cable slightly further away from the header if I have to.

Steve, that simulator was pretty dang close, that's impressive

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyl Cat View Post
    Rock4451 numbers, not yours Ruffi

Great work Rock by the way
    Oh I pretty much figured that....

Quote Originally Posted by rock4451 View Post
    Now to figure out how to keep my headers from scorching my clutch cable. It's getting hot down by the collector and where the cable runs through the bell housing hole.

I'll likely keep it wrapped in header wrap/hi temp heat deflection tape and fabricate a bracket to hold the cable slightly further away from the header if I have to.
    That's what I did. Seems to be working.

Very nice numbers by the way!
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Very nice numbers!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Thanks guys!

Sean,

I would be interested in the numbers that cam made with the afr heads on the old 302. I think it would be a great example of how head flow and runner volume affect an engines output hp total and the locations of the peaks. Might be a good chance for all of us to learn a thing or two

The same guy tuned it, correct?
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Yep! Also, the old dyno he used was one of those that was portable - they actually take off your rear wheels and attach a hub to your lugs to measure the force, and it actually reads slightly high due to the fact that it gets to spin without the excess weight of the wheel/tire, I forget the brand name of those dynos. My old setup, in case I didn't mention before, was AFR 165s, ported Explorer intake, same cam, and 1-5/8" headers. Made 319/323 (numbers would be slightly lower on a Dynojet).

My old car made peak torque at 4,500 rpms - give or take a hundred RPM, which was 323 ft-lbs. At 3,000 RPMs it was about 260-80. Peak power - 319 @ 5450.
    Same cam - combo listed in the first post of the thread, at 3,000 rpms I am already making 300 ft-lbs, and my horsepower is within 2 or 3 of 350 from 5500rpms all the way to 6500 rpms. In other words, with the bigger induction parts and headers (same cam and same everything else), I actually made MORE torque at a lower RPM, and more HP everywhere - but the new setup carries the power much better. I would have never guessed with 190cc intake runner heads, I'd be seeing 300 ft-lb at 3k rpms.
    Last edited by rock4451; 07-21-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Man I was hoping that the dyno was the same as well. I highly doubt that a dynojet dyno reads LESS that any dyno on the planet. My mustang at school was usually 40 hp less than every dynojet in the area.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Mustang dynos read the least of any, but the true roller dynos all read less than the portable ones that connect directly to the axle instead of getting the reading from the tire.

Sean

Here you go: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20572

Called a Dynapack and typically read 8-10% higher than a Dynojet. Mustang dynos typically read 12% lower, according to this post (which I am not sure where they got this info, but I've searched and found the exact same language on several forums).

So, if we want to ricer math this up (love that term), my 319/323 would have been 294/297 on a Dynojet, meaning my new combination netted me 56 more horsepower and 44 more foot pounds of torque.

Then again, I take dynos with a grain of salt. The trap speed will show me what power it actually has.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I'm guessing you'll be trapping about 107 mph with an ET somewhere around a 12.7.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

If I trap 107, I'm cutting the brake lines after I stage on the next run.

Those are great numbers! I love the fact you did most of the work yourself.

Thanks, Rob! Yeah, it definitely took more time that way since I work full time and have some other obligations as well, but it feels really good that the final result has no leaks or problems and put down fairly decent numbers.

Did you have notches cut into the pistons for those heads? Ive been looking at these heads for a lil while for my combo as Im getting ready to build another engine. Thanks Scott!
    Yep my **** is coming apart again... Isnt life great!

(My peeps!)
    http://www.sbftech.com/
    http://www.fordstrokers.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by mustangs4me View Post
    Did you have notches cut into the pistons for those heads? Ive been looking at these heads for a lil while for my combo as Im getting ready to build another engine. Thanks Scott!
    Nope! The cam installer checked, put .100 of clay on the piston and the valves didn't even touch it - which is how I know I probably could have gotten away with more compression. The decreased angles of the valves of the 11r head allow even more clearance. Intake is at 11 degrees, exhaust is at 13 versus stock 20 degree style heads that usually require notching.

Sean

Before this rear end install, I had swapped rear axles before, so the inside of a carrier wasn't foreign to me, but I definitely needed instruction on backlash, pinion pre-load, etc.

Thats exactly what I was talking about. I have a couple of gears and a carrier I would like to swap myself and I still dont feel comfortable doing it. Thanks for the link though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast