Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ordered my Capri in April of 85 from Bill Dunning Motors in Marietta, Oh. It was delivered in June. $11,787 on the sticker. I had a very understanding wife. Used it as my daily driver for several years until after moving to New Castle Pa, a soft 6" snow turned my 35 minute commute into almost 3 hrs.

I knew I wouldn't get what I thought it was worth on a trade for something more practical, so, it got parked in the garage and I got another car to beat up.

It only got driven occasionally and I didn't spend a lot of time keeping it up. Kids, house, etc.

It was usable enough to teach kids how to drive the stick.

Wife passed away and more time was available along with better money so, I've been working on it.

New wife enjoys car shows so we go and enjoy the people watching and I pick up an award now and then. Lots of fun.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

I ordered my Futura in mid-November 1978, it was built on December 19, and I took delivery on December 30. The Christmas beer-and-marijuana party on the assembly line must have started the Monday after Thanksgiving and by the 19th they weren't very concerned about quality and workmanship. Between the dealer and me, we had to fix a lot of problems that should have never happened. Once the problems were fixed it's been, and still is, a pretty good little car.

Ordered mine in February 1979 and picked it up on April 13, 1979. Still have it. It has been a daily driver, an "in-storage" car, and now a show car.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I envy those who were able to buy one of these beauties new. I was in high school in the mid-late 80's. When I was a senior in 87-88, the new aero nose foxes were all the rage. So many people in my town had them. I was a diehard 4 eye guy though. Used to love cruising around in my buddies 84 GT, which was only 4 years old at the time. A few months later I got my 79 PC. So the closest I ever came to new was 9 years old!
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Quote Originally Posted by jsfrv6 View Post
    A long, long time I bought my first new car. It was a 1985 Mercury Cougar... Loved that car..

Around 2000 I was in a wreck on the way to work and totaled it.
    Before we bought the Cougar, I test drove and was ready to buy an 85 GT/5spd but couldn't afford the insurance as I was only 22 at the time. So we bought the v6/auto Cougar....

The 85GT I have now is an exact replica of the one I test drove but with about 350 more horse power...
    Scott
    Picayune,MS 39466
    Torch Red 2004 Mach 1 Mustang
    Silver 85 GT
    Previous set up...
    306, Lunati flat tappet, Eddy Performer Heads, RPM intake, Holley 650DP, Shorty Headers, Flowmasters, 3.73, T5. 12.92 @109

Current set up,,,
    408w, Internally balanced Scat rotating assy, Comp Hyd roller, Brodix heads, eddy air gap RPM intake, PowerjectionIII EFI, Longtube 1-3/4 headers, Flowmasters, 3.55 Cobra 31 spline diff w/Moser axles, TKO 600 5spd, Mcleod dual disc street clutch... ET... Traction Limited 11.93 @120mph

FEP Power Member

I bought a new 79 Capri turbo RS my senior year of high school. Had two jobs while in high school to make the payments. (they were not very good jobs)
    Wish I could find it now. It was white with blue interior and trim.
    Last edited by KCoker; 07-22-2015 at 03:07 PM.
    Kendal

The closest that I was able to accomplish was buying my Dec 78 built, 79 5.0 Ghia hatch the summer of 1981 right before my sophomore year of high school. That fold down back seat came in handy during those formative years.

I am always surprised that I have owned 4 additional Foxes since that car since it was basically falling apart around me the 5 years that I had owned. by the time that I sold it (for $800 in 1986) it was being held together by bailing wire (tilt wheel) and duct tape (door panel). It was the definition of the quality workmanship that American cars were know for at the time. Thankfully, it was the only Fox that I've owned that had issues like that.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

First pic is about ten minutes after I left the dealership. Second pic is on my way to my first MCA Grand National Show where I took first place in the Gold Concours Unrestored Driven Class. That's with an additional 103,000 miles. Still had the original brake pads on the rears. It was my daily driver as well as raced at the Talladega Gran Prix track many times.

Who needs brakes? Not me.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Jealous of you original owners / bought it new. The 4-eye and early aero cars were all the rage when I was driving age, never could afford one new.

My only new Mustang was a 99 new edge, V6/5 speed.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Jealous of you original owners / bought it new. The 4-eye and early aero cars were all the rage when I was driving age, never could afford one new. My only new Mustang was a 99 new edge, V6/5 speed.
    Mine was originally ordered by John Bleakley Ford as their demonstrator ( Marti Report to back that up ). I put enough of a deposit on it and it became mine. They then reordered another one to replace it.

Funny thing is, and I kick myself now, is he offered me to order a different one and even suggested I maybe buy a Comp Prep. He told me it would have cloth LX front seats, no rear seat, and vinyl floor along with no radio or AC etc. I said no thanks as I wanted AC and leather seats since it was my first new car.

I didn't really want a red one but he showed me the sales brochure and I was hooked. I was also going to order a 9L...

So I could have had an 85.5 Comp Prep in 9L with leather as an original owner. Oh well... Sheesh!

Edit: Since mine was also supposed to be their demonstrator they threw in a self dimming rear view mirror, floor mats, and a magnetic oil drain plug. They wanted to put a front plate on it and I caught them just in time before drilling the cover. They also tried to sneak an emblem on the hatch but again caught them just in time. I settled for a license plate frame.

When Ford pulled the plug the salesman gave me everything he had on SVOs including the large double sided "Flying SVO" poster. Also the blue Ford sales sheets and info sheets from the three ring binders. I grabbed about a dozen 1985 sales brochures as well. They're around here somewhere HAHA
    Last edited by Ken P; 07-24-2015 at 09:31 PM.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

FEP Power Member

I also bought a 84 SVO new and still have it. This will blow your minds, I sold my 70 Boss 302 to buy it. Not one of my better ideas.
    Kendal

originally posted by Ken P
    They wanted to put a front plate on it and I caught them just in time before drilling the cover.
    I have an undrilled front bumper as well. Connecticut was a single plate State in
    86. I got my front frame in a paper bag tucked in the trunk. It's still in that bag some were in the garage.
    I got to come up with some line about not being able to find it if asked where it is.
    It may come down to creating a removable bracket to hold a front plate if a front plate
    is insisted on,because I don't plan on destroying those little dimples.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    I also bought a 84 SVO new and still have it. This will blow your minds, I sold my 70 Boss 302 to buy it. Not one of my better ideas.
    I thought you had also bought new. Have you ever checked up on the Boss since you sold it?
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    It may come down to creating a removable bracket to hold a front plate if a front plate
    is insisted on,because I don't plan on destroying those little dimples.
    I haven't looked in a while but aren't there some extra holes down in the fog light bar / support? You might be able to use them to mount a bracket?
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

I'm not sure if I have the bracket you are talking about , was it on all foxes or just GTs?
    Because I have an LX.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    I'm not sure if I have the bracket you are talking about , was it on all foxes or just GTs?
    Because I have an LX.
    You don't have it if it's an LX, I think...

It's what the driving lights mount to across the bottom of the bumper cover.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I test drove a Black 85.5 SVO right after I turned 16! I still can't believe the salesman let me and my two other buddies take it for a spin. What an idiot!

My best friend and I were talking about that just the other day.

Trey
    The SVO's weren't selling too good so maybe the salesman figured you wouldn't return it in one piece!

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    duhhh That's ok, I turned down a Boss 429 a friend insisted I buy....for something like $6000 back in the 80's.

Oh yea, bought my 83 TBird new and still have it with 13x,000 miles on the clock.

I was 33 when I walked into Musgrove Ford in Vancouver BC and special ordered my 83 50 coupe which I still have. I guess that makes me a senior member of the old farts club.

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    I turned down a Boss 429 a friend insisted I buy....for something like $6000 back in the 80's.
    Sounds familiar. Had a guy offer me a low mileage Boss 429 in the early 90s. It was vintage burgundy. I could've sworn I saw it at Barrett-Jackson this past Spring. I could've made a pretty nice profit on that one.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda... ARG!
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

I bought mine new in 1984. I took my wife to be with me, ordered it on April 10th and it arrived on June 5th. I took delivery on June 6th.
    Then, when we got married in August 1984, I had to put the car in a locked impound yard with guard dogs for the weekend and rent a car so no one would get it.
    I paid $13,700 for my GT...out the door. SVOs were selling for $19,500 plus tax, etc. at that time.
    Besides, I didn't have the money for an SVO and I really didn't know much about the 4 cylinder turbo. If I only knew then what I know now...

Then when fall came along, I put it in storage for the winter. My wife said to me, "If I had known you were going to store it, we could have bought a convertible".

So years later, the joke is whenever anyone asks me what year we got married, my wife just says, ask him what year the car is...all in good fun.
    Rob

I bought a new ‘86 GT 5-speed off the showroom floor at Paul Miller Ford in Lexington, KY on Sept. 30, 1986. I’d seen pictures of the ‘87s and decided I liked the ‘86 better. I still feel that way. And I still have the car, 95K miles later, a daily driver until 1999, then it sat under a car cover outside for several years. It’s in the garage now with a freshened engine (aluminum heads, cam, headers, etc.). Mine had Ford’s paint problem with the topcoat not fully adhered to the primer, so it looks bad, but will get a nice paint job when I get all the mechanical gremlins worked out.

I bought a new ‘86 GT 5-speed off the showroom floor at Paul Miller Ford in Lexington, KY on Sept. 30, 1986. I’d seen pictures of the ‘87s and decided I liked the ‘86 better. I still feel that way. And I still have the car, 95K miles later, a daily driver until 1999, then it sat under a car cover outside for several years. It’s in the garage now with a freshened engine (aluminum heads, cam, headers, etc.). Mine had Ford’s paint problem with the topcoat not fully adhered to the primer, so it looks bad, but will get a nice paint job when I get all the mechanical gremlins worked out.

this is my 1984 1/2 gt I bought new Sept of 84. I dont have any good pictures of it. the top right picture is what it looked like when I traded it for a new 88 gt with t-tops that I ordered from the factory. I wish I had them both back.Name:  0001.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  161.0 KB

Check!!!

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

In 1986, I traded my 1980 Mercury Capri for a 1986 Mercury Cougar from our local Ford dealer. it was pretty sweet. I was 20 years old and I thought I was doing pretty good driving a brand new Cougar around. I wish I had taken a picture of it.
    1986 ACS McLaren Capri
    1971 Mustang
    1968 F100

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast